• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantom

Frank Nicholson (4)
Yep, can confirm Angus played well. His boot was the difference along with running nicely off brumbies Andrew Smith. Would like to see him at fullback, I think he would make quite the impact from there. Likewise Sam Allen made his debut for West's in the row and played well. Angus Allen runs on for Brumbies 20's and than straight into camp for Aus 20's, greats stuff for Riverina rugby all of over.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Yep, can confirm Angus played well. His boot was the difference along with running nicely off brumbies Andrew Smith. Would like to see him at fullback, I think he would make quite the impact from there. Likewise Sam Allen made his debut for West's in the row and played well. Angus Allen runs on for Brumbies 20's and than straight into camp for Aus 20's, greats stuff for Riverina rugby all of over.

Was wondering where this guy came from - he was a total gun on the weekend from Queanbeyan!

I agree I would like to see him at Full-Back - I think if Andrew Smith moves back into the Brumbies Squad we could see Angus move to Full-Back and Douch into the centre (maybe).

Saying that Anthony Fainga'a might find himself playing in the centres for Queanbeyan this year.. . .

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Was wondering where this guy came from - he was a total gun on the weekend from Queanbeyan!

Very committed player - his dedication to training (particularly goal kicking) is second to none. A good guy to boot.

Get it. :) Nice one.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
In a swing that would make Marty McFly and Doc Brown happy Wagga City have returned to Mick Kanck return as the head coach.

Quality squad. No excuses

All the talk out of Wagga City is that they are the premiership favourites...

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
I wonder if your "Back to the Future" assertion means that City will go back to their previous results from past years ? - lots of losses
Kanck has had plenty of chances in the past with City but they have fallen as flat as pancakes
He has got a lot of good players at his disposal now so the excuses about player ability and skills won't wear with the City supporters
Nick Gleeson (ex Griffith) also lining up for City this year according to the DA
The Grand Final re-match in Roiund 1 between Waratahs & City should be a ripper

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Good on him for putting his hand up, he's been an asset to Wagga City for a number of years now and I'm sure will be well supported by the club. Coaching First Grade may not have been his preference for this year but if he's prepared to do it, good on him.

Nick Gleeson is a good get for City with his relocation for work and another good club man that will help the team gel. I wonder what Nick can bring to the table from his time in Canberra?

It's positive to hear good stories coming out of Wagga City after a less than desirable start to the season.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
And the way the Tumut Blues are talking up down their chances this season, will we see James Curgenven back with the Lollies once the season kicks off. A one hour drive to training twice a week in cold, wet Tumut may not be the biggest turn on?

old boiler

Frank Row (1)
I'm sensing a touch of sour grapes ? Where you unsuccessful in your application ? For those that actually know Michael , he is very passionate and has always been extremely dedicated to the role ,he also appears to have a strong coaching group to lean on if required

It is EXTREAMLY difficult to find 1st grade coaches unless you want to shell out $$$$

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
Ha Ha - I applied for the position but they said they spent all their $$$ on Honeyman last year ?
Dedication & passion are part of EVERY Coach's DNA at the start of each season - Yada Yada
Good Luck to the new coach and his Merry Men (Support staff) but the smell of Honeyman's departure still lingers on and the departure of the Zone's DO is also a mystery
I hope the Boiled Lollies taste sweet success at the end of the year in what is shaping up as a pretty tight comp this year

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Heard that Reddies got put through the cleaners by Waratahs in a Trial at Kapooka
The word is that CSU will struggle again big time this year
Maybe the clock is ticking on their future participation in the SIRU Competition
They aren't getting many new Uni students playing for them and this suggests that they aren't the Club they once were
Their Old Boys might have to come out of retirement to save the Club ?
Albury will be pretty tough next weekend when they play Reddies at the Uni

Phantom

Frank Nicholson (4)
First round of SIRU is going to be a cracker, very hard to pick clear winners. So here goes:
Griffith 23 - Aggies 15
CSU 12 - Albury 32
Waratahs 22 - City 19
Phantoms 40 - Tumut 10 (completely one eyed on that one sorry)

Here is for a strong and enjoyable season to everyone. Just for the record I initially had City to win against the tahs but remembered CJ wont be back from Tumut for the first couple of games.

Cheers

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
Hi Phantom if you are picking CSU to get beaten by that much by the Steamers this saturday on their home Ground you must think they are going to be in for a long season
They didn't win a Game last year and the only way for them to go is Up - maybe up in a puff of smoke if your prediction is accurate

Old Fart

Stan Wickham (3)
I don't think that it is realistic to believe CSU will instantly improve this season and therefore should not be negatively judged early on in the season. However they do have a lot of work to do to catch the level of the rest of the competition both on and off the field.
Its hard to pick but I reckon Tahs will give City the touch up they deserve, Tumut will beat Leeton in a nail biter, and Aggies will be a solid chance against a unpredictable Griffith team.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Round 1 Tips.
Tahs over City in a close one. Wont match them up front.
Leeton Over Tumut. Tumut to find it hard without Tino.
Albury over CSU. Long season ahead for the reddies.
Aggies over Griffith. Fitter and faster at this stage of the season

my 2 cents worth

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
just saw the Team Lists for Saturday on the Southern Inland Website for the Round 1 matches - Interesting to see Richard Manion at Inside centre for Albury and Euan Bonner at halfback for Waratahs.
Drew Martin at 5/8 for City is a bit of a surprise and 3 Maiava brothers are playing in the backline for the Griffith Blacks on the weekend against Aggies.
Can't wait for the season to start - my winners are Griffith, Waratahs, Albury and Leeton- all the home teams except Albury

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2017 Round One Preview:

Folks, my input into the forum this year is going to be considerably less than it has been in past seasons. I’m struggling to find the time to put into write ups and previews but will do my best over the course of the year on this front. I’ll post results on Sunday morning/Saturday evening as scores come to me.

Check out the SIRU “News” page, great initiative there from Mick and the team to provide team lists for each week. Hopefully the clubs support Mick in this and submit team lists each week. Fingers crossed.

Griffith v Aggies
I’ve heard some good reports out of Griffith in the later stages of the pre-season, with my scouts telling me they will be well competitive this year. Always tough to get past at home, this will be a test for Aggies. I saw Aggies go round against HAC and while there weren’t too many students playing for Hawkesbury, I think Aggies had some work to do on the fitness front, the tight five is going to be a problem for Aggies who are lacking in front rowers this season. Aggies won’t lie down though and are at the stage now where they have had a reasonably consistent team for a few seasons and they should be really gelling well.

CSU v Albury
The Steamers were keen as mustard to change this game to the Friday night but Reddies were having none of it. James Olds’ wedding on the Saturday is going to severely deplete the Albury lineup. From what I have seen of Reddies to date, there are some building blocks there for them to work with, but the proof will be in the pudding over the coming season. This game is probably a good indicator of how both teams should fair for the season, they are both bringing a refreshed coaching structure to the 2017 season and I’m looking forward to seeing the impact these coaches have on their respective clubs.

Tahs v City – Match of the Round
Grand Final rematch and traditional “Fibros vs Silvertails” grudge match is an easy pick for the Match of the Round this week. From what I have heard, Waratahs have been a bit quieter this season than they have in the past but they have plenty of quality cattle there to put in a good showing in this game. City have been training the house down since Nov/Dec 2016 which should set a solid platform this year.

Wagga City have recruited well in the off-season and have secured the services of SIRU halfback Stuart Dyer for 2017. City have also raised Rambo Lagaali from the ashes of retirement and his combination with Dyer will be a highlight in this game. City are still working on a number of combinations and are yet to settle on a 5/8 with Jayden Stanton not available for another couple of weeks at this stage. James Curgenven has been a staple of the City lineup for a while now and it will be strange to see City run out without him on the field. Can they cover the direction he provided them?

Waratahs have some new names in their ranks – surely Harry Hosegood is a fake name? They will also be served well by the Shortis brothers who have been trying to play together for a while now and players like Sean Kearns and Sam Bunny will provide starch to their backrow. The playmaker position for both City and Waratahs could prove crucial in this match with neither Tom Hobbs nor Drew Martin being traditionally strong 10’s.

Leeton v Tumut

A big trip first up for the Bulls here but they’ve got to do it sometime! Leeton were impressive throughout the pre-season in the various Ten a side competitions out there, can they transfer this ability to the 15 a side format? From all reports, Tumut have some work to do on their fitness which may hinder their competitiveness early on in the season. There are some familiar faces named in the Bulls lineup but their most notable omission is Tino Manualevo and they’ll miss him this season. While there are some fresh faces in both teams here, a highlight for this match will be the showdown between Simon Vunilagi and Dan Dowson in the loose.

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
That Waratahs line-up looks pretty solid. I'd have them pencilled in as early season favourites ahead of City and Leeton, at this stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.