• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Independent

Herbert Moran (7)
Heard from a couple of reasonable sources that conversations around CSU have included two unpleasant words; "crisis meeting"
Such a sad demise and indictment on such a once proud and successful club.

Phantom

Frank Nicholson (4)
I'm sure I heard the Tahs saying during the warm up they were going to duck into the tackles after wording the ref up about Leetons high tackles. of course that could be a total lie..... Phantoms don't tackle high.
Pretty sure Marika and Co. will get stuck into the lads for stupid play. If your serious about winning a premiership than discipline is a key factor.

Was the Tahs/City clash a bit of a slip up by City because they seem to be racking the points up now?

Reasoning

Herbert Moran (7)
Heard from a couple of reasonable sources that conversations around CSU have included two unpleasant words; "crisis meeting"
Such a sad demise and indictment on such a once proud and successful club.

I reckon 2017 will just about pull them (CSU) up.
They have been clouded with a few issues in recent years but the biggest one is that they are hardly attracting any NEW players to the Club.
They probably have more Old Boys than they have players ??
They do have 3 Grades in this year's Competition but the future looks pretty grim

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Please feel free to correct me but didn't Reddies win 3rds, womens and 2's against Tumut on the weekend ? And go down by 4 points at the death knock in 1's ?

Completely agree Bubba.

There are some rubbish comments floating around on the decline of CSU. Teams go through ups and downs. Wasn't all that long ago CSU were on the brink of Grand finals and premierships. All sides fluctuate. Rather than comment on their demise we should be offering solutions (not a merger with City, as banged on about previously) on how they can move forward. i don't have an answer here. however it needs to start with the student base.

Historically it seems hard for both sides from the Uni to maintain high levels of results concurrently. 2007 was one of these times however Ag College was student based and CSU were getting the best out of the golden ago of Hood, Tora et al.

Early 2000's Ag College struggled. Lower player numbers coming from only Ag Science degrees. CSU were a very strong club in this era. 2005 premiership and i think 5 consecutive 2nd grade premierships. The Vet science degree was the catalyst for a switch of the student base to Ag Rugby.

Back to the reddies. 2 tight losses and 1 bad loss isn't panic stations. They're a team that's in a rut, cant quite close a game out. Nobody likes being there, but all sides come out of them...
Give them time

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Now Tumut and Albury occupy last places (7/8) in 2's and womens and City has last place in 3's. Griffith haven't won a first grade game this season. I wonder if 'reasonable sources' are saying dreaded words like 'crisis' and 'meeting' about those clubs ......

I'm no reddies fan. Love beating them a lot! But I think the reddies bashing has gone to far. Start providing solutions and how it will benefit Southern Inland Rugby because a 7 team comp is not a pretty concept!

City over Albury
Tahs over Aggies (but not by much! Be a good game !)
Leeton over CSU
Tumut over Griffith

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2017 Round 4 Preview:
Again, apologies for the lack of previews team, just not enough hours in the day…

Tumut (6) v Griffith (7)
A tough hitout for both clubs here and I’m confident the Bulls will be happy to be back at the refurbished Jarrah Park this weekend. My scouts tell me that the Bulls are building and are starting to show an ability to play 60mins of rugby.

The Blacks really came home with a wet sail against City last week and if they can string this type of attacking rugby together for longer periods of the game, they’ll be dangerous.

Leeton (1) v CSU (8)
The Phantoms are shaping as serious contenders this season but will have to make do without SIRU Rep #8 Simon Vunilagi for the next two weeks. Livewire play form their backline has been a genuine highlight of their play and they’re keen to run the ball from every part of the park.

Supported well by a strong forward pack, they’re setting some solid platforms for later in the season. Plenty of talk around the grounds at the moment about discipline but I’m not convinced that the Phantoms have too much to work on here from what I’ve seen of them this season. Did the occasion get to them when they played Waratahs?

Ag College (5) v Waratahs (2) – Match of the Round
Ladies Day out at Beres Ellwood this weekend which will no doubt inspire the lads from Ag College to stand 10ft tall against their more fancied rivals. Aggies definitely play with plenty of passion which is to be commended, however they appear to be trying to find their feet as far as game plan goes at this stage of the season. Remember though it’s only early days.

Waratahs might have got the wake up call they needed last week against the Phantoms, from all reports the game was a corker with some pretty brutal contact across the park. This pummelling might play into their favour when they take on an Aggies outfit who relish the contact scenario.

From what I’ve seen of both these teams, the combination between 9 and 10 is an area that they are yet to get sorted. This is a crucial area of the game and one that I’m confident both coaches will be looking at their 2nd Grade stocks to see what these players can bring to the table. Waratahs will be keen to see young Tom Hallam back in 1st Grade soon after a vicious cooking incident…

Watch the hitout between Ben Brookes and Harry Hosegood, should be good to watch two keen footballers run at each other all day.

Don’t forget – this is Will Mitchell’s first hitout against his former club – are bragging rights on the line here? Who shouts first beers after this one?

Wagga City (3) v Albury (4)
The Lollies showcased their scrummaging prowess last week against the Blacks and will be keen to set their dominance in this area of the game again this week I would imagine. City probably only played about 30-40mins of rugby last week and in fine conditions they dropped a lot of ball – if they can clean this area of their game up, they will be a more complete unit and have the makings of a strong team.

I haven’t seen the Steamers go round yet, but having a quick look over their team list, their backline looks to be a strong group of players and they appear to be well supported through their loose forwards which could indicate a ranging style of play from the men on the Border.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Plenty of talk around the grounds at the moment about discipline but I’m not convinced that the Phantoms have too much to work on here from what I’ve seen of them this season. Did the occasion get to them when they played Waratahs?

Yeah I tend to agree - on the weekend it seemed at time the referee was looking to find a penalty in order to prove their lack of discipline, however if you are getting 5 cards in a match you have work to do on that front.

Contrary to earlier comments there we only 2 cards for high tackles (to the same player now having a 2 week break), one for a late hit and 2 for repeated infringements (offside and scrum) - nothing that can't be fixed. If they can improve that the team will take some stopping this year.

Winners this week:
Tumut, Leeton, Tah's & City.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
C-8nQT5UAAAovnX.jpg:large

Congrats Dylan Pietsch on selection for the Paris 7's, what an experience.

Paris, New York, Milan, London, Leeton, Wagga Wagga

Independent

Herbert Moran (7)
Not sure they are rubbish?? The harsh reality and accurate comments would be fairly well supported through their on-field efforts and player numbers of recent times. The comments that are thrown around regarding 'ups and downs' etc.. are the comments which I (and many others) feel are the old cliche' type.
Solutions? Go back to the roots of the club - students. Get old boys back into the club who are part of the fabric of it and let them bring the culture with them. CSU haven't been a student-oriented or dominated club for over a decade. Sorry, but that's a fact. That isn't 'ups and downs', that's a trend, which doesn't seem likely to slow down anytime soon.
I can remember playing them back in the day when they'd have a cast of thousands roll out of their dormitories and play rugby, have a few drinks, cheer, have massive nights back at the Tavern and have a genuine ownership of the club.
Those days are gone, unfortunately.
They might survive, even if they don't go back to their student roots and build from there. But they will be a de-facto Uni club, which is very sad for the blokes of a bygone era.

I actually don't think any other club would let this type of degradation happen to it. Could you imagine the Aggies moving away from their student base? I don't think so. Too much pride in the jumper.

Completely agree Bubba.

There are some rubbish comments floating around on the decline of CSU. Teams go through ups and downs. Wasn't all that long ago CSU were on the brink of Grand finals and premierships. All sides fluctuate. Rather than comment on their demise we should be offering solutions (not a merger with City, as banged on about previously) on how they can move forward. i don't have an answer here. however it needs to start with the student base.

Historically it seems hard for both sides from the Uni to maintain high levels of results concurrently. 2007 was one of these times however Ag College was student based and CSU were getting the best out of the golden ago of Hood, Tora et al.

Early 2000's Ag College struggled. Lower player numbers coming from only Ag Science degrees. CSU were a very strong club in this era. 2005 premiership and i think 5 consecutive 2nd grade premierships. The Vet science degree was the catalyst for a switch of the student base to Ag Rugby.

Back to the reddies. 2 tight losses and 1 bad loss isn't panic stations. They're a team that's in a rut, cant quite close a game out. Nobody likes being there, but all sides come out of them.
Give them time

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
The Reddies played in the preliminary final in 2013. This is only the 4th season since then and they are pushing for a win this year with 2 close calls already.

I agree with sentiments that they should be encouraged to stick with it as long as possible. A 8 team comp is a good fit, a 7 team comp not so much. I think it's irrelevant where they get players from, as long as they can keep improving.

The continual sniping at the state of CSU sounds churlish.

Phantom

Frank Nicholson (4)
10 years or more the Phantoms got pummelled, not going so bad the last few years. I don't like CSU, but they will be back no problems.

Judiciary set a heavy precedence especially after a quick look at the refs report re Simon T... no problem so long as they are consistent the full season and not just setting an example.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Probably depended on the Referees Red Card Report

Boxy going to League is a big loss for Waratahs.
He is definitely the type of player Waratahs needs to have against a Team like Leeton - he is dynamic, fast and elusive.
I think there's a little bit more to his move - He was only being selected as a Winger since the Comp started and there is a little bit of rumbling behind the scenes at Waratahs as far as Team selections

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2017 Round 4 scores-
Waratahs 37 d Wagga Ag 7,
Leeton 92 d CSU 0,
City 43 d Albury 25,
Tumut 53 d Griffith 14

Status
Not open for further replies.