• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SRAU RD 8 - Reds v Brumbies

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Noting how many Queenslanders are in the Brumbies team, coach included, it’s a win for Queensland no matter which team wins

Oh sorry we do take the scraps from Qld and turn them into rugby players. But with the brilliant talent coming out of Queensland you guys should be winning the comp every year..

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Oh sorry we do take the scraps from Qld and turn them into rugby players. But with the brilliant talent coming out of Queensland you guys should be winning the comp every year..

Who said anything about scraps? Fact is they were all highly rated players and in the Reds squad/academy/rep teams at the time.

There isn’t a Queensland rugby supporter who considered the likes of McKellar, Pasitoa, Lolesio, Slipper, Ikitau, Swain and Banks as ‘scraps’, just the nature of the beast that the talent will spread out.

I think both teams are an endorsement of Queensland’s grassroots.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Who said anything about scraps? Fact is they were all highly rated players and in the Reds squad/academy/rep teams at the time.

There isn’t a Queensland rugby supporter who considered the likes of McKellar, Pasitoa, Lolesio, Slipper, Ikitau, Swain and Banks as ‘scraps’, just the nature of the beast that the talent will spread out.

Some of them were even considered rugby players before they left.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

You did kick slipper out :)

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
The bits I like best about these discussions is the interplay between the tongue in cheek comments and the serious ones.

;) Don't worry we always produced the two Matt's Gits and Henjak.... The story of Henjak calling Eddie Jones mate is funny as.

But on a serious note, its a pick'em game Reds rightfully favorites as they are at home.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
;) Don't worry we always produced the two Matt's Gits and Henjak.. The story of Henjak calling Eddie Jones mate is funny as.

But on a serious note, its a pick'em game Reds rightfully favorites as they are at home.

I know it is all the rage currently to fight for underdog status however, in all seriousness, I think the Ponies will get up in this one. There are still some serious deficiencies in this Reds team/game plan which have been exposed by some lessor opposition recently. Brumbies have smart coaching staff and I think they will have tailored their game to this.

In any case I hope it is a ripping game

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I know it is all the rage currently to fight for underdog status however, in all seriousness, I think the Ponies will get up in this one. There are still some serious deficiencies in this Reds team/game plan which have been exposed by some lessor opposition recently. Brumbies have smart coaching staff and I think they will have tailored their game to this.

Any Idea's on how many people will get to Suncorp, Im back in Brisbane Saturaday, I might see if I can head my way out there.

Reactions: dru

drewprint

Colin Windon (37)

I genuinely agree. I struggle to fathom how after a so far unbeaten season the Reds team is still moving its pieces around, while the Brumbies are comparatively so much more set. Maybe that’s the secret that’s working for us? Keeping everyone on their toes? Regardless, it’s got me pretty uncomfortable when I look at that Brumbies team sheet. They know their game so well.

As for the crowd, I’m unsure. I was expecting to see much more promotion of this match than what I have. I’ll def be there so that’s at least one!

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’m going. First live game for a few years, so looking forward to it.

Even better - my two teenage daughters have agreed to go plus my niece. My idea of the perfect family time (although the wife has opted out).

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Maybe I’m too optimistic but I feel like this weekend is the perfect storm to get some really decent crowd numbers to Suncorp.

Times like these are where some bulk FTA advertising on Nine/Gem would be great. Broncos took another whopping tonight. Confidence is down in the Brissy NRL ranks. Reds are undefeated and playing at home. Weather will be perfect. Club rugby officially back. Fingers crossed for a good crowd.

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
For the brumbies to have any hope this weekend they will need to control their discipline. I think the reds by 10 though

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I’m going. First live game for a few years, so looking forward to it.

Even better - my two teenage daughters have agreed to go plus my niece. My idea of the perfect family time (although the wife has opted out).

Just so we're all clear, oerfect family time doesn't include your wife?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
The Reds throw penalties around like confetti. Brumbies clear favourites here.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Just so we're all clear, oerfect family time doesn't include your wife?
Sorry - that isn’t what I meant. Would prefer she was there too but she has family in Brisbane she is catching up with.

I should have said - Father/daughter time.

Reactions: dru

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Problem is that I think the Brumbies are more measured/disciplined about their penalities. It seems to me that lot of the Reds penalities are careless and occur across the field. The Brumbies seem more prepared to concede strategic penalties when in defence.

Given the role O’Connors kicking has in the last game, plus the cards they’ve been picking up it’ll be interesting if they try and reign the penalities in. A lot will depend on how much pressure the Reds can put them under I guess.