• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Colts 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
No harm done.
BTW, what ever happened to ballboys and sand(tee)boys? There's never a shortage of 10 year olds at the games practicing their chip kicks, put them to work I say.

H

Hartman

What clubs do people think have the top colts development programmes? Eg coaching, player management and resources, player retention in grade, etc. I think this may be interesting.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I watched Gordon v Manly yesterday. Manly led Gordon 19-3 after 15 minutes with Peter Gilmore proving unstoppable and BJ Hartmann looking very dangerous. However Gilmore got hurt after about 20 (hamstring, I think) and this proved to be a turning point. Gordon's forwards then got on top with a scrum strong, a very dominant lineout and a few critical steals at the breakdown. They turned their deficit into a 43-29 lead with a final Gordon try with 4 to go. Hartmann got a late try to get 2 bonus points for Manly and keep them in equal 6th (7th on points differential). A deserved 43-36 win to Gordon. Carmichael's goal kicking was impressive and their forwards were the stars on the day.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
I saw Gordon play against Woodies last week and I was impressed with their set pieces. However their backline attack failed them with a number of dropped balls when the pressure was on. They must of clicked yesterday.

U

Upright

I saw Gordon play against Woodies last week and I was impressed with their set pieces. However their backline attack failed them with a number of dropped balls when the pressure was on. They must of clicked yesterday.

From watching the game having Carmichael (10) who was injured early against Eastwood, and Lash (11) who missed the Eastwood game was the difference. Manly were unlucky to lose Gilmore (12) before half time - very strong ball runner. Gordon forwards were impressive in particular McCaffery and Olmstead. Shaping as a good finish to the year in Colts with about eight teams all about the same.

A

Albert

Randwick have added this to their website:

Randwick Colts Selected in the Australian Under 20's Squad
Tuesday, 17 August 2010 10:19
The Randwick Rugby club is thrilled with the selection of Jesse Roche, Liam Walker and Ethan Ford into the initial training squad for the Australian Under 20's team.

All three players joined Randwick Colts this year and have developed into great ambassadors for the club. They join Randwick's Dominic Bower who made the squad at the start of the year and was also invited to Canberra to train with the Australian 7's team.

Jesse Roche is our first grade colts tight head prop who joined Randwick from Warilla on the South Coast. Jesse played in the Combined High School firsts and the NSW School Boys team and this year played for the Sydney Under 20's team.

Liam Walker is originally from Newcastle is our first grade colts halfback. Liam was captain of St Josephs Hunters Hill first 15, captain of the GPS firsts and played for the NSW School Boys team. Liam is attending the University of NSW and is studying Arts and Economics. To support his career in rugby and his academic career Liam is working part time for Ashcroft Packaging. He will be applying for the Randwick Rugby/St Hilliers scholarship at the University of NSW.

Ethan Ford hails from Kiama High and is Randwick's first grade fullback. Ethan played Combined High Schools firsts for two years as well as playing for the NSW School Boys team. Ethan is an apprentice electrician. Along with wingers Dominic Bower and Charlie Wakim, Ethan forms part of the first colts back three who between them have scored over 60 tries this season.

The three players have been part of the Randwick Rugby Club's Colts Mentoring program which has been sponsored by Ian North, a director of Randwick Rugby Club and President for many years. The objective of the program is to assist young men establish themselves in the three essential components of their life - rugby, academic study and employment .The boys are also assisted in their endeavors by Randwick's club coach Mark Giacheri, the Randwick rugby Colts Co-coordinator Keith Holmes and of course all those people within the colts program who have coached, managed or supported the boys this year.

Michael Jorgensen, the President of the Randwick Rugby Club was delighted and commented "The Randwick rugby club are very proud of their performances in 2010 as part of our first grade colts team and as individuals. The players all follow a rich history of Randwick rugby involvement in the Australian rugby colts program. We will all be watching their progress with interest and wish them well."

Anyone know of other squad members from Sydney / Brisbane / Canberra?? The 2011 Junior World Cup is still 10 or 11 months away, interesting they're training already.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
Well done to those boys. I have seen Roche and Ford play for CHS last year. Ford is an exceptional runner of the football. One problem I felt he had last year was when injecting himself into the backline he could have linked better with his support players. I hope he has improved that aspect of his game. It looks like he has!

R

rugbyfan

Is there politics on the Australian under 20's sides? As in reputation from making NSW/QLD/AUS schoolboys? Or is it purely based upon the form that these boys playing colts are in? Can i get some insight to whether Under 20's selectors attend colts matches?

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Bit of both, the good u20s are playing grade and to be of u20 quality you'd need to be facing bigger men each week in grade.

My view, qwerty, is that the best way for really outstanding players to learn their craft is for them to continue to play at a level where they can dominate rather than being pushed prematurely into a grade where their focus is on surviving. In Australian rugby I think there is a tendency to rush young blokes into the professional environment far too soon.

A

Albert

My view, qwerty, is that the best way for really outstanding players to learn their craft is for them to continue to play at a level where they can dominate rather than being pushed prematurely into a grade where their focus is on surviving. In Australian rugby I think there is a tendency to rush young blokes into the professional environment far too soon.

Bruce, to their credit, the Syd Uni program seems evidence that this approach works. I really only know about backline play, not pigs, but Nick Phipps and Bernie Foley are both outstanding prospects, who played not just one, but two yearsof colts. Seemed to do them a world of good. You blokes held them back, when many other clubs may have rushed them into grade. I'm also stoked Dan Kelly is back home - he CAN play.

Interesting to see Harry Bennett back into colts for Easts - he was a good one, who maybe needed more time to learn how to really drive a team around the park before progressing to grade.

H

Hartman

I agree, although I don't think "dominating" is good, moreso just being a standout. You wouldn't want to play James O'Connor in Colts (he was eligible this year).

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
When they get to u20 they'll be seriously out of their depth playing against bigger men and in a faster paced game. They need the grade experience.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Kurtley Beale is only just starting to show the potential he showed in high school because he got fast tracked when he might have been better served working his way up. Instead, he was dropped in at the deep end. Not saying all players should be held back, but it obviously doesn't work for everyone.
Any word on who else is in this squad?
Also, is this squad for something later this year or something else?

H

Hartman

Kurtley Beale is only just starting to show the potential he showed in high school because he got fast tracked when he might have been better served working his way up. Instead, he was dropped in at the deep end. Not saying all players should be held back, but it obviously doesn't work for everyone.
Any word on who else is in this squad?
Also, is this squad for something later this year or something else?

Mainly for the 2011 IRB World Championships, they have started some work as a squad doing basic fitness/strength work I believe, but their real offseason program doesn't start until the end of the Shute Shield season.

Status
Not open for further replies.