• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Colts 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Mainly for the 2011 IRB World Championships, they have started some work as a squad doing basic fitness/strength work I believe, but their real offseason program doesn't start until the end of the Shute Shield season.

Thanks

H

Hartman

Gordon 3s colts sneak in a 24-7 away win vs Sydney Uni - their second win of the competition (as well as a win in a pre-season trial match). Not often a uni colts team gets beaten twice by the same team in a season. More than likely these two will face off in the finals, so should be interesting. A narrow loss in 2nds colts by just a single try, letting the game slip after having drawn the scores level after being about two tries down. Uni won 1sts 34-19.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Gordon 3s colts sneak in a 24-7 away win vs Sydney Uni - their second win of the competition (as well as a win in a pre-season trial match). Not often a uni colts team gets beaten twice by the same team in a season. More than likely these two will face off in the finals, so should be interesting.

I think the scoreline was a good reflection of the game. Uni were disorganised and looked very flat. Gordon really turned up ready to play.

Informer

Ward Prentice (10)
I watched BIG Willy go round with Uni seconds colts yesterday and was impressed with his improvement, much more committed and involved. He is a man mountain and he took the ball to the line many times with the Gordon boys just hanging on for dear life, scary really. If Uni can harness that power he is going to be a force to be reckoned with.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I watched BIG Willy go round with Uni seconds colts yesterday and was impressed with his improvement, much more committed and involved. He is a man mountain and he took the ball to the line many times with the Gordon boys just hanging on for dear life, scary really. If Uni can harness that power he is going to be a force to be reckoned with.

The fact that he's still at school suggests that he has real potential. But no matter how big and powerful kids are, if they're not prepared to put in the work they won't advance in senior football.

Uni S & C Tim Leahy may hold the key. He has had considerable success conditioning Pacific Islanders, most notably Jerry Yanuyanutawa.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Good news about Big Willie being active. I have seen that from him this year in rep games and at other times, not.

Good that it looks like he is staying in our code, but like Cliffy Palu he's probably to too big for the constant "getting back 10" of league in games and in training. Cliffy had all kinds of foot and ankle injuries from running backwards IIRR (from what a Dragons insider told me a few years back.)

H

Hartman

Tackling him is ridiculous. At one point I was left just hanging onto his leg (I have played against people who literally had torsos thinner than his leg) hoping help would arrive soon. And I can't even begin to describe the feeling of helplessness when he picks the ball up at the back of a 5m scrum.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Yesterday, Randwick, the successful Sydney club which counted Cyril Towers, Nick Shehadie, the Thornetts, Russell Fairfax, the Ellas, Simon Poidevin, Campo, George Gregan (did he actually play any games for the Wicks?) and many other Wallabies in their ranks, came to Concord to confront the Colts from West Harbour. They played well, the green slime IIIs providing sterling resistance before succumbing 74-0 in a tight match. The GS IIs were magnificent and went down by the tightest of margins, 45-10. The Randwick running rugby Is hit the front (for a moment, 3-0 for the first three minutes) before going down by a point or two. Well, 64-13 if the truth be known. As one of Sydney rugby's unfashionable clubs, in a traditionally non-rugby area and without a lot of (any) wealthy ex-players to support us, please forgive me for gloating when we have a day like yesterday. Our success in Colts stems from a lot of sheer hard work.

Randwick had a bit of trouble with the Pirates in grade as well: their seconds bit the dust 38-12 while firsts matched West Harbour for a while before letting in a few late tries and lost 43-18.

H

Hartman

It's no secret that Randwick have been struggling in Colts this year... All 3 teams are bottom feeders on the ladder. Why you'd gloat about beating them, even if you were from one of the traditionally weak clubs, is rather beyond me.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Fair enough Randwick wasn't good enough yesterday by a long way, a couple of injuries didn't help but you don't win missing so many easy tackles. But gloating aside (and annoying ground announcer shamelessly plugging products every time you scored, which was more than I would have liked) you are near the top of the table in all three grades and we aren't. How about some gloating when you play Uni or Easts, who have the same depth and strength as you?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
They played well, the green slime IIIs providing sterling resistance before succumbing 74-0 in a tight match.

The GS IIs were magnificent and went down by the tightest of margins, 45-10.

The Randwick running rugby Is hit the front (for a moment, 3-0 for the first three minutes) before going down by a point or two. Well, 64-13 if the truth be known.

:eek: :lmao: :eek: :lmao:

One of your best. Keep hold of those lads for the Pirates when they are older.

PS - Yes Gregan did play for Randwick, but his last game in club rugby was for the Wicks in the 1996 Grand Final.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
I'm really pleased to hear Big Willy is going well. For those that don't know him let me fill you in on a few things about the boy. He is a gentle giant off the field. He is aggressive on the field but is a real gentleman off it. He is trying his hardest at a game new to him and is making good progress. Already he has made it to Uni colts2 and is being used as a replacement in 1's.

Don't be fooled by the sterotype of being a big kid he must be dumb as well. There is a reason he is playing for Sydney Uni and that is because he intends to undertake a uni course after completing his HSC this year. Yes, the boy is bright. I understand that was part of the attraction of playing with uni.....if you know what I mean.

His best mate is Steve Cummins and I know Uni are making a play for him as well. Let's hope West Harbour can keep Steve at the Pirates.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It's no secret that Randwick have been struggling in Colts this year... All 3 teams are bottom feeders on the ladder. Why you'd gloat about beating them, even if you were from one of the traditionally weak clubs, is rather beyond me.

Bit like the Newington pride following their recent success following a very long draught. Gotta make hay while the sun is shining.

Happy to see success at colt level at other than Uni.

Interesting to see that both Uni and West Harbour seem to be achieving a degree of success in Colts when both seem to have almost no junior club development programme (U6-U17) to speak of.

Those districts with strong ARU pathway programmes (and NSWJRU State Champ programmes) seem to be unable to translate that success into colts and grade programmes. Is this the consequence of the boys in the ISA, CAS and GPS programmes being essentially unavailable to the village clubs for their high school years?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
:eek: :lmao: :eek: :lmao:

One of your best. Keep hold of those lads for the Pirates when they are older.

PS - Yes Gregan did play for Randwick, but his last game in club rugby was for the Wicks in the 1996 Grand Final.

Can anyone at Randwick confirm if Gregan paid club membership fees between 1996 and his effective Australian retirement in 2007?

Does that mean that Patrick Phibbs (a S14 contracted 1/2 back to the Brumbies) was the Randwick 3rd Grade halfback?
Gregan (Wallaby Captain, Brumbies S14) = 1st Grade Randwick halfback
Whittaker (Wallaby, Waratahs Captain S14) = 2nd Grade Randwick halfback
Phibbs = 3rd Grade Randwick halfback
?? = 4th Grade Randwick halfback also Plays Randwick 1st grade halfback during S14 season.

Can you play for the Wallabies without being a financial member of an affiliated grassroots club?
Drew Mitchell and Gits appear to be financial members of the Balmain subbies club, although Mitchell is apparently loaned to Randwick 1st Grade team.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Interesting to see that both Uni and West Harbour seem to be achieving a degree of success in Colts when both seem to have almost no junior club development programme (U6-U17) to speak of.

Hey, ease up giant clacker, the Pirates have a thriving junior scene in Wests Junior Rugby. We are the sole premiership club with only one junior village club (counting Uni's artifice of Petersham and Canterbury junior clubs, but that's a discussion for another day). There's a very close connection between WH and WJR and any decent junior gets a go for Pirates Colts. My son started at WJR in 1997 and, although missing a few years when school rugby was unavoidable, went straight into WH Colts when he could. West Harbour would have as high a proportion of colts players from its village clubs as any other. I'd suggest it would be considerably higher than Easts, Randwick or Uni.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Perhaps a better choice of words would have been a "narrow" junior programme in relation to WH, and "historically" "interesting" junior programme in relation to Uni.

Regardless the success enjoyed by both these is out of proportion to the expected flow from the village club programme.

The smooth junior village club (U6-U18) to colts to grade theoretical pathway is flawed by the impact of the private schools rugby programmes for many. Makes it hard to sell the pathway at times.

Even more difficult when as has been pointed out that Randwick and Easts also have aggressive colts recruiting programmes.

The entire loyalty/tradition issue may perhaps belong in a past era, and perhaps we old fogies should accept that the paradigm has moved and is now reflecting to the professional career aspirations of many of the players. The amateur "just for fun" players will simply fill in the gaps in player rosters unable to be filled by aspiring professional players.

H

Hartman

Legend has it that a certain lineout-jumping utility forward beat the Eastwood winger and fullback over 40m to score his second try (would-be hattrick if it weren't for a disallowed maul try) in the 3s colts makeup game on Sunday... A real spectacle.

H

Hartman

http://sphotos.AK (Andrew Kellaway).fbcdn.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-snc4/hs377.snc4/46030_426323666618_682151618_5470832_6343942_n.jpg

Can you blame me for being angry that this was called as held up?

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Against any other team, I'd say that was a try. But considering...

Ooooh just a blade of grass short, sorry mate....

C

Cando

http://sphotos.AK (Andrew Kellaway).fbcdn.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-snc4/hs377.snc4/46030_426323666618_682151618_5470832_6343942_n.jpg

Can you blame me for being angry that this was called as held up?

Status
Not open for further replies.