• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Rugby Championship 2019

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
weird, Wednesday of a test week already, the first AB test in 8 goddamn months..... and I could barely give less of a shit. wft is going on

are Hansen's B-and-a-half team rotating their our-shit-don't-stink arses right into an ambush? All very good and well saying no fucks are given about RC, judge us on the RWC instead, for sure..... but first-ever losses to Ireland and Argentina to go with buttfucking the Lions series will still take a monster dump on your legacy oh sage wise one.....

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
For Argentina to make much of a game style transition must be quite hard. They pretty much play one style for several weeks. I don't suspect they will change too much from how the Jaguares play - familiarity, muscle memory & all that.

They also have not had that much time together as the real Argentina.

Perhaps just add some spice around the edges.

If Argentina do want to make another step up, they need to beat NZ at some point. Got a few SA notches under the belt and a couple of Aussie notches. I do not foresee many better opportunities for them.

Reactions: dru

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
weird, Wednesday of a test week already, the first AB test in 8 goddamn months... and I could barely give less of a shit. wft is going on

are Hansen's B-and-a-half team rotating their our-shit-don't-stink arses right into an ambush? All very good and well saying no fucks are given about RC, judge us on the RWC instead, for sure... but first-ever losses to Ireland and Argentina to go with buttfucking the Lions series will still take a monster dump on your legacy oh sage wise one...

C'mon DP, if he named a full strength team, he would still cop it from 'those who know better' for wearing out the players. Finding out how new players are going to go etc seems pretty good idea to me. Who remembers we got done in RC in 2011 and 2015 compared to who remembers who won the WC.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Have I missed a player announcement or something? SA was meant to send a starting XV to NZ to prepare for Blacks - with the bench being selected from players v Australia.

If this is the starting team V Aus -

1. Beast 2. Mbonambie 3. Nyakane
4. Etzebeth 5. Dejager
6. Eldstadt 8. Louw 7. Dutoit
9. Jantjies 10. Jantjies 11. Mapimpi 12. Esterhuizen 13. Kriel 14. Nkosi 15. Gelant
16. Brits 17. Gqoboke 18. Koch 19. Orie 20. Coetzee 21. Reinach 22. Steyn 23. lleyds

Then there are some gaping holes in the team v All Blacks (Dyanti & Kolisi are injured), as the only player unused is Prop T.Dutoit. Vanstaden was brought in for Kolisi but released for Currie. My first thought that Dutoit would start v ABs, with Coetzee against Wallabies with Vanstaden on bench, but that didn't happen and they havn't announced bringing a winger in.

This is would now be the team v AB's:

1. Kitshoff 2. Marx 3. Malherbe
4. Mostert 5. Snyman
6. ? 8. Vermulean 7. Smith
9. Deklerk 10. Pollard 11. ? 12. Deallende 13. Am 14. Kolbe 15. Leroux

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Have I missed a player announcement or something? SA was meant to send a starting XV to NZ to prepare for Blacks - with the bench being selected from players v Australia.

If this is the starting team V Aus -

1. Beast 2. Mbonambie 3. Nyakane
4. Etzebeth 5. Dejager
6. Eldstadt 8. Louw 7. Dutoit
9. Jantjies 10. Jantjies 11. Mapimpi 12. Esterhuizen 13. Kriel 14. Nkosi 15. Gelant
16. Brits 17. Gqoboke 18. Koch 19. Orie 20. Coetzee 21. Reinach 22. Steyn 23. lleyds

Then there are some gaping holes in the team v All Blacks (Dyanti & Kolisi are injured), as the only player unused is Prop T.Dutoit. Vanstaden was brought in for Kolisi but released for Currie. My first thought that Dutoit would start v ABs, with Coetzee against Wallabies with Vanstaden on bench, but that didn't happen and they havn't announced bringing a winger in.

This is would now be the team v AB's:

1. Kitshoff 2. Marx 3. Malherbe
4. Mostert 5. Snyman
6. ? 8. Vermulean 7. Smith
9. Deklerk 10. Pollard 11. ? 12. Deallende 13. Am 14. Kolbe 15. Leroux
You must have missed last season when Erasmus did the same.

Several of the players playing this weekend will be in the starting 15 and on the bench next weekend.

As Erasmus has reiterated it is not entirely A / B sides, but it is a composite squad. This weekend is to give players who require game time a chance and to test combinations.

Expect PSdT, Etzebeth, the wings & perhaps a few more to form part of next week's team.

Not everyone sent over this week will necessarily start the match either. Some may be on the bench - in fact, some may not make the cut after all.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
You must have missed last season when Erasmus did the same.

Several of the players playing this weekend will be in the starting 15 and on the bench next weekend.

As Erasmus has reiterated it is not entirely A / B sides, but it is a composite squad. This weekend is to give players who require game time a chance and to test combinations.

Expect PSdT, Etzebeth, the wings & perhaps a few more to form part of next week's team.

Not everyone sent over this week will necessarily start the match either. Some may be on the bench - in fact, some may not make the cut after all.

Ahh, I was under the impression that 15 guys were being sent over to be the starting XV and train together towards that purpose. If that's not the case then oky doky.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
C'mon DP, if he named a full strength team, he would still cop it from 'those who know better' for wearing out the players. Finding out how new players are going to go etc seems pretty good idea to me. Who remembers we got done in RC in 2011 and 2015 compared to who remembers who won the WC.
Yeah I know. But the negative bastard in me just thinks "Welcome to the Two-And-A-Half Match Dry-Powder B-Team Rugby Championship"

still think Hansen sticking with his favourites could stuff him up at RWC and if so, still say Hansen's legacy is going to be that + casually losing to Ireland (fucking TWICE) + fucking up the Lions series

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yeah I know. But the negative bastard in me just thinks "Welcome to the Two-And-A-Half Match Dry-Powder B-Team Rugby Championship"

still think Hansen sticking with his favourites could stuff him up at RWC and if so, still say Hansen's legacy is going to be that + casually losing to Ireland (fucking TWICE) + fucking up the Lions series
NZ are favourites to win their third World Cup in a row. Minor selection quibbles at the start of the RC mean fuck all.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
in a row.

Derps, I fail to see why "in a row" has been italicized in your post.

Barring 1991, NZ should have won ALL Rugby Football World Cups. Let's face it, it's not like the Rugby World Cup format even exists for any purpose other than to coronate the New Zealand Rugby Football team on a quadrennial basis. "In a row". L0ll.

This brings into question the very meaning of why rugby exists in the first place when that much is obvious and requires no further explanation on my part.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
All Blacks: Ben Smith, Sevu Reece, Anton Lienert-Brown, Ngani Laumape, Jordie Barrett, Beauden Barrett, Aaron Smith, Ardie Savea, Sam Cane (capt), Vaea Fifita, Patrick Tuipulotu, Brodie Retallick, Angus Ta'avao, Dane Coles, Ofa Tuungafasi. Reserves: Liam Coltman, Atu Moli, Nepo Laulala, Jackson Hemopo, Luke Jacobson, Brad Weber, Josh Ioane, Braydon Ennor.

Calling it now. They're going to lose. Any team starting Ta'avao and the tickerless duo of Paper Tiger Patrick and FFsffita in the forwards is doomed.

DOOMED.

and Brainfart Golden Child Jordie on the wing?

DOOMED.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
All Blacks: Ben Smith, Sevu Reece, Anton Lienert-Brown, Ngani Laumape, Jordie Barrett, Beauden Barrett, Aaron Smith, Ardie Savea, Sam Cane (capt), Vaea Fifita, Patrick Tuipulotu, Brodie Retallick, Angus Ta'avao, Dane Coles, Ofa Tuungafasi. Reserves: Liam Coltman, Atu Moli, Nepo Laulala, Jackson Hemopo, Luke Jacobson, Brad Weber, Josh Ioane, Braydon Ennor.

Calling it now. They're going to lose. Any team starting Ta'avao and the tickerless duo of Paper Tiger Patrick and FFsffita in the forwards is doomed.

DOOMED.

and Brainfart Golden Child Jordie on the wing?

DOOMED.

Ok DP, I reckon a pretty good Argo team they will be against, and I still want to see how Fifita and Ta'avo go now so they can be cut from WC consideration now if they no good. PT will go alright, a good Blues man like you should see how good he would be with defence etc. His rate of positive tackling (ie drives the player back pst the point of impact) for the Blues was something like 35% which is bloody insane!!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
13 Jags in Pumas starting XV:

(15-1) Emiliano Boffelli, Matías Moroni, Matías Orlando, Jerónimo de la Fuente, Ramiro Moyano, Nicolás Sánchez, Tomás Cubelli, Javier Ortega Desio, Marcos Kremer, Pablo Matera, Tomás Lavanini, Guido Petti, Juan Figallo, Agustín Creevy. Nahuel Tetaz Chaparro:
Replacements: Julián Montoya, Mayco Vivas, Santiago Medrano, Matías Alemanno, Tomás Lezana, Felipe Ezcurra, Joaquín Díaz Bonilla, Joaquín Tuculet

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Obviously a lot of chat about the new AB but ffs there's still Coles, Cane, Tuipulotu, ASav, the Smiths, Beaugan & AL-B starting plus Weber to come on later so no lack of experience & leadership IMO.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Bitch, there was <150 seconds left when the ball left that maul. That being the case, why was the ball getting further than three metres away from the forwards?! Just grind it out. Even the Blues managed that FFS.

EDIT: Jeez that ending was tougher than it needed to be. Hopefully sanity, and game management skills, return when Whitelock is back in the team next weekend.