• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think this is pretty inaccurate.

Parramatta is not that easy to get to for much of Sydney. If you're coming from the South or North you most likely have to catch a train through Central anyway.

Parramatta Stadium is about 20 minutes walk from Parramatta Station. The walk from Central to Allianz is similar. For most people that will mean shuttle buses which is one thing that people complain about regarding Allianz. Allianz will have light rail access from Central in a few years time which will make the issue much less significant at Moore Park.

Parramatta Stadium has far less parking available than Moore Park which would be even more exacerbated if Parramatta was upgraded to a bigger stadium.

There are plenty of carparks at Moore Park. That is not the problem. The issue if you drive there is getting out of the place at the completion of activities. It can take up to a half of footy just to get out of the car park, and then another chunk of time to clear the jam around ANZAC Parade.

Trying to take the car to Homebush is also a frustrating mongrel waste of time.

Public transport and/or a good walk are really the only good options. The good walk to/from Moore Park is a little more attractive than that to/from Homebush.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
I think this is pretty inaccurate.

Parramatta is not that easy to get to for much of Sydney. If you're coming from the South or North you most likely have to catch a train through Central anyway.

Parramatta Stadium is about 20 minutes walk from Parramatta Station. The walk from Central to Allianz is similar. For most people that will mean shuttle buses which is one thing that people complain about regarding Allianz. Allianz will have light rail access from Central in a few years time which will make the issue much less significant at Moore Park.

Parramatta Stadium has far less parking available than Moore Park which would be even more exacerbated if Parramatta was upgraded to a bigger stadium.

That's true of the current situation, but I'm really more running a hypothetical on the redevelopment, which may expand parking and transport options.

I also think there's something to be said for playing at grounds built for Rugby Union/League. The design of ANZ is its own worst enemy - it tries to be all things and ends up not really excelling at anything.

Then there's the entertainment factor. Get into homebush early, and it's all very expensive restaurants or pop up stalls. Out at Parramatta you have Church street, meaning your options for food and entertainment are massively greater - it's more akin to Allianz in that way.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
To be fair, ANZ Stadium was built to hold a running track for the Olympics. It's since been adjusted to be of use to the various football codes (and occasionally a bad cricket ground.

I think it's a good compromise for the Tahs to play most of their games at Allianz and a couple of games at ANZ.

They should band together with the other Allianz stakeholders and push the SCGT to improve the facilities. As home ground to the NRL and Super Rugby premiers they should have some sway.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
To be fair, ANZ Stadium was built to hold a running track for the Olympics. It's since been adjusted to be of use to the various football codes (and occasionally a bad cricket ground.

I know, but that's kind of what I mean... I really wish we could have a Twickenham or Millenium style Staduim in Sydney that is really just perfect for the rugby codes (and of course could be used by soccer - I just don't want purpose built soccer stadiums after watching the short in-goals almost kill half the kangaroos and kiwis player during the RLWC Final at Old Trafford).

I think it's a good compromise for the Tahs to play most of their games at Allianz and a couple of games at ANZ.

They should band together with the other Allianz stakeholders and push the SCGT to improve the facilities. As home ground to the NRL and Super Rugby premiers they should have some sway.

Absolutely, I sincerely hope the proposed redevelopment of the stadium goes ahead, but I think that's also more an issue with the state government than anything.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
So more importantly, who will be filling the holes in the Tahs squad?

do we know who is being "let go"?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Seeing as Greg Peterson's French deal has seemingly fallen over because he wanted to stay and play Shute Shield finals for Manly and is now playing NRC, I wonder if he'll be at the Tahs next year.

After all the investment they've put into him and the fact that 2014 has been easily his best year (the first year he's remained healthy and actually been a strong performer in club rugby) it would seem like he should be a Waratah in 2015.

If our locks were Skelton, Potgieter, Chapman, Peterson I wouldn't feel too bad about the situation.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Trying to take the car to Homebush is also a frustrating mongrel waste of time.

nonsense. following the reds game I was home before 10. I've never had a problem getting out of any of the Homebush carparks, and the surrounding street network is far better than Moore Park.

But I am not all of the demographic, and I understand pushing more people onto PT is a better solution than building better and more carparks.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Getting out of Homebush by car is not bad at all, but getting into Homebush is horridly broken, particularly by that round-a-bout off Homebush Bay Drive. It gets worse on the weekends for daytime activities, as the DFO now (stupidly) funnels people through the round-a-bout to get to its revamped parking. I feel sorry for the people who live at Homebush and Wentworth Point. It's just a mess, and what idiots approved that at council I just don't know.

The new light rail will definitely help the SFS, particularly if it is free travel to / from games. If it's not free travel, it still will be a bit of an issue I think. I think that the Tahs getting together with the other guys who use the SFS to improve the facilities is a good idea; from an outsider POV the SCG Trust seems to have a strong bias to the SCG.

Regarding getting to/from the SFS, I'd normally walk from Central. Hell, when I lived in Rozelle, I typically walked from Elizabeth St on Hyde Park to the SFS, and then back to the Park St bus stop at Town Hall because the public transport options are poor, and what is worse, you have to pay (unlike Homebush). I always thought that they never catered well to fans who were coming from anywhere not East of the CBD.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
I’d never been to ANZ stadium until the last couple of years as I was your typical inner city lazy bugger.
As I’ve become more and more rabid about the Tahs I’ve started going to every game there when I can.

I typically used to drive but find the bus service much less of a stress plus its free meaning no parking and petrol costs. The busses this year have been full of rugby folk talking rugby which has been a nice change.

The pros are that the members facilities are great and buying a beer is fairly easy compared to Allianz. The negatives are obviously the gradient of the seating and the size of the thing sees the crowd noise drift off into the ether – saying that though, the tahs GF was bloody noisy and one of the best atmosphere’s I’d experienced.

Give me Allianz any day but if it didn’t have Paddo and Slurry Hills next door it would be a pretty underwhelming place to be. The Life members function is held at the SCG for christssake!

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Seeing as Greg Peterson's French deal has seemingly fallen over because he wanted to stay and play Shute Shield finals for Manly and is now playing NRC, I wonder if he'll be at the Tahs next year.

After all the investment they've put into him and the fact that 2014 has been easily his best year (the first year he's remained healthy and actually been a strong performer in club rugby) it would seem like he should be a Waratah in 2015.

If our locks were Skelton, Potgieter, Chapman, Peterson I wouldn't feel too bad about the situation.
He has had 4 years.
Enough.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He has had 4 years.
Enough.

I would have said that even three months ago, but we clearly need another lock and for the first time in his adult career he's actually showing real promise.

I guess the question becomes if not Peterson, which lock do we sign? There has to be an expectation that they will be used in Super Rugby in 2015 unless we are freakishly lucky with injuries.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I guess it's possible that Cheika has said to Cam Treloar that if he has a good NRC he'll be contracted for 2015.

I haven't seen him play for years and at 34 he's old but it's possible he's got a year left in him.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I guess it's possible that Cheika has said to Cam Treloar that if he has a good NRC he'll be contracted for 2015.

I haven't seen him play for years and at 34 he's old but it's possible he's got a year left in him.
I'm not sure he's interested

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't think he's interested, he could've stayed in France if he wanted to do continue. I think he's just doing the NRC as a swansong.

Just on Mafi, I'm sure he's family is in Sydney and that would've been his preference..

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Peterson's just 23 and finally injury-free, let's see how he goes in the NRC before putting a line through him.

Status
Not open for further replies.