• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs Vs Bulls Rnd 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Nine years.

A mere aside: I have a number of SA business acquaintances and friends and in every case they have contributed very positively to our economy and local community. Inexcusably bloody passionate about their beloved SA rugby teams though ;).

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Horne could very much play the role that a Nathan Grey played for the Tahs. Strong. Hard tackling. Straight up with no frills.

A rich man's Tom Carter. :D
to quote will ferrel in old school "you're my boy, blue"

centre's pairing is right. just needs the ol switcheroo.

i'm not a tahs fan, but its frustrating to see such a talented team not achieving the results they should.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
A mere aside: I have a number of SA business acquaintances and friends and in every case they have contributed very positively to our economy and local community. Inexcusably bloody passionate about their beloved SA rugby teams though ;).

Well I don't think it is any different for Aussies who take off and live abroad. Some people can become even more passionate because deep down they yearn for home. It's natural.

I had Blue Bull rugby injected intravenously from when I was a day old. We say our blood is blue. That's the way it is.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Much respect. You need to be resilient type in order to make it in another country.

You said it. No matter where you live and this is the third country for me outside of SA. Each had their own challenges.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
He was the Australian schoolboys 12 I think so it's not like he's only ever played 13.
More pedantically: Horne was the NSW Schools 12 for two years in order to get others into the NSW team. He was considered to have a better skill set for 12 than the other fellows who played 13 and indeed at that level he used the ball a lot and got in the odd good tactical kick too.

In his first year for Oz Schools he was on the bench, and not on merit IMO, he should have started, but in the 2nd he played 13 and was paired with Ben Tapuai at 12. They played like bacon and eggs: the best midfield for Oz Schools in the last 10 years, before which the memory fades.

No other Oz Schools centre pairing has come close in that time.

But I digress.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
To be fair, I was just going from memory of stuff you have previously posted.

You are the fount of all knowledge LG.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Well I don't think it is any different for Aussies who take off and live abroad. Some people can become even more passionate because deep down they yearn for home. It's natural.

I had Blue Bull rugby injected intravenously from when I was a day old. We say our blood is blue. That's the way it is.
You are still a chicken runner Saffer. ;) and a Steri Stampi Brute supporter. Hope you are going to support them at the game.

Mank

Ted Thorn (20)
Can you explain what a chicken runner Saffer is?

See the post from Blue on page 3. I think if you omit the 'Saffer' part, then chicken runner is anyone who has moved countries to make a different (maybe better) life for themselves.

In this context, many South Africans living in SA wear a slightly smug air that they still live and last there despite the problems, and like to remind us of the fact. In Paarl's case, knowing he's a good guy, I can take it as humour, but it does get a bit old from others.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I used to work at a Big 4 Accounting Firm in Sydney.

It seemed like we had 2/3 of the South Africans living in Sydney working in our office. It would seem that every second South African is an accountant.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)

It seemed like we had 2/3 of the South Africans living in Sydney working in our office. It would seem that every second South African is an accountant.
Pen pushers & IT nerds is running like chickens from SA.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)

When it starts becoming important or preferential to have a certain colour skin and be female if you hope to work your way up to partner in a big accounting firm in South Africa, it suddenly becomes appealing to come over and work in an accounting firm in Australia!

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

Australian intake works on a skills basis. There were periods of time when a lot of chartered accountants and bookkeepers were needed and they were mainly accepted from South Africa. It used to eb an easy qualification to move with.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
When it starts becoming important or preferential to have a certain colour skin and be female if you hope to work your way up to partner in a big accounting firm in South Africa, it suddenly becomes appealing to come over and work in an accounting firm in Australia!
Thats a interesting point. Maybe we should open a chicken running thread. They all went for the soft jobs and we run out of ambagsmanne? dunno the english word. These guys use to be the hard labourers in the old SA, nowadays they all open their own business once they finish their "ambag" in SA. In fact there are a huge shortage of them and "ambagte" like Mill Rights can pick their salary and job in SA.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Australian intake works on a skills basis. There were periods of time when a lot of chartered accountants and bookkeepers were needed and they were mainly accepted from South Africa. It used to eb an easy qualification to move with.
Most of them you'll find in London.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Thats a interesting point. Maybe we should open a chicken running thread. They all went for the soft jobs and we run out of ambagsmanne? dunno the english word. These guys use to be the hard labourers in the old SA, nowadays they all open their own business once they finish their "ambag" in SA. In fact there are a huge shortage of them and "ambagte" like Mill Rights can pick their salary and job in SA.
http://translate.google.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.