• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Reds - Round 1 - 2012R01

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallatahs

Allen Oxlade (6)
What happened to McCutch? I presume injured but haven't heard it anywhere. Otherwise how does he go from being VC to being left right out?
I agree - what's happened to McCutcheon? I heard that he was killing it in the trial matches and was a certainty to be picked. Then all of a sudden he's not even in the 22, and there's been no report of an injury.

7/8 out and we haven't even started the season yet - this is beginning to feel like 2011 all over again.

Let's hope that the eternally injured trio (Palu, TPN and Horne) can stay fit.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Two words for the Reds - Banana skin!!

Reds would now have to be favourites given all the Tah's wounded, and if they manage a win you will never hear the end of it.

On selections, disappointing to see that Quirk is not in the Reds 22. Hopefully Higgers, Van and Samo have enough gas in them to run the game out strongly.

Be interesting to see the tactics employed on game day. What price a lot of bombs from Hangers to the Reds back three, in the hope of spillage leading to lots of scrums.

R

ripper868

"The Reds' bold ambition was revealed by injured star Quade Cooper yesterday at the same time he warned fans that Queensland would pack away the razzle-dazzle and do whatever it takes to beat NSW on Saturday night.
After getting a wake-up call from the Waratahs in a 30-6 loss at ANZ Stadium last year, Cooper said Queensland would arrive in Sydney with a "take no prisoners" attitude.
"It doesn't mean playing entertaining rugby and entertaining the crowd. It's about getting the win," Cooper said."
- http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...per-rugby-titles/story-fnbzp4lk-1226278750042

one thing i hope changes this year is perception. if the Tahs went to QLD with this attitude there would be uproar. The entertainers dont care about the crowd.

Well the tahs came here last year with that attitude and there was no uproar...It's not the Reds responsibility to entertain a NSW crowd...believe it or not the gate takings etc from this weekend go to the tahs...it's their theatre, not the reds.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Well the tahs came here last year with that attitude and there was no uproar...It's not the Reds responsibility to entertain a NSW crowd...believe it or not the gate takings etc from this weekend go to the tahs...it's their theatre, not the reds.

It's the concept of perception though isn't it. The Tahs went to QLD with a long list of injuries ad lost there best attacking weapon in drew Mitchell during a game, they pulled it in tight, kept it in the forwards and almost got the win. If they had got the win it wouldn't have mattered they were accused of killing the game and spectacle.

Meanwhile the reds plan to show up and kill the spectacle and link will be lifted on shoulders and proclaimed a saviour.

I just want the season to start perception free, each game judged on the games merrits.

T

tranquility

Are you actually serious?

I always assumed it was tongue in cheek when Waratahs supporters allude to the fact that they scored more tries, I never actually assumed that they felt their side play rugby in an entertaining and free-flowing way. Nor should they, Waratahs are built upon a strong foundation of grafting play and a strong set piece. Your backline work last year was atrocious, absolutely no cohesion. I can not remember any set moves, and other than Berrick kicking the ball away or a moment of magic from KB (Kurtley Beale). Your 12 doesn't even pass the ball or step for that matter.

Waratahs are a fantastic side, but it is not perception that has the Reds marked as entertainers - it is the years of unapologetically ugly rugby from our then most successful side. The argument out of NSW was always 'that how winning rugby is played', as if successful sides couldn't play with any flair because it was not the 'percentage' play.

My blood has cooled back down now, cheers.

T

tranquility

And they are absolutely, but the notion that it is just merely perception that the Waratahs play Northern Hemisphere style rugby when in actual fact they are perennial entertainers whose image in held down my the media or whatever is tripe.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Why would it be tongue and cheek? We scored the most tries, you kicked the ball away the most. We played some sublime backline rugby sometimes and other times not. I was entertained mostly, I don't really by into this whole the Reds played entertaining rugby and the Tahs don't. Rugby is rugby and I enjoy it no matter how it is played, although it is pretty clear some people do have a different perception (I thought the Scotland/England game was fantastic).

How is the backline work atrocious and "had no cohesion" when our outside backs scored the majority of our tries? That makes no sense, the backline obviously did some things right despite having Carter and Cross as the centres for the majority of the season. We scored plenty of tries off set pieces. I remember one against the Force where Carter went over from a scrum. Pakalani in the corner after the ball went through the hands after a scrum against the Bulls. Halangahu off another scrum against the Sharks. I'm sure there more but I can't remember them, stop talking crap. All 3 our scrum was extremely dominant and provided good ball for the backs.

T

TOCC

Why would it be tongue and cheek? We scored the most tries, you kicked the ball away the most. We played some sublime backline rugby sometimes and other times not. I was entertained mostly, I don't really by into this whole the Reds played entertaining rugby and the Tahs don't. Rugby is rugby and I enjoy it no matter how it is played, although it is pretty clear some people do have a different perception (I thought the Scotland/England game was fantastic).

tv ratings speak for them self, finals aside, the Reds rated higher then the Tahs.. That figure is even more relevant given the population and playing figure disparity between the two states..

Let's not forget which team was booed by their own fans and had to have a fan day council or whatever that crap was called..

It's like the Melbourne Storm, a consistently awesome team who score a lot of tries, but shit the way they play percentage football is boring to watch.. Compared to a team like the West Tigers who play a entertaining style.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
Apparently in NSW it's more entertaining to lose to good teams, and thrash bad teams - thereby scoring more tries.

And all this Qld kicking the ball away, that stat includes the behind the tryline cross kick to Digby doesn't it? I certainly remember seeing that and thinking "I'm so bored".

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Waratahs have a new play for 2012 where Tom Carter and Adam Ashley-Cooper do a run around.

As the other team will be expecting neither player to pass, the simple act of one passing to the other and then getting the ball back is sure to leave defences bamboozled.

The option on the play is for the run around to happen and then a further pass goes to Sitaleki Timani (obviously the option only becomes available after a couple of rounds). The mere act of Timani catching the ball will be too much for the defence to handle and he'll stroll in for a try uncontested.

T

tranquility

I had always assumed that is was tongue in cheek because it is plain as Larry that even your diehard supporters are unhappy with your play. Get booed by your home crowd? Who can forget the openly aggressive question time with fans that was bordering on mutiny... These are not the actions of a supporter base that is happy with the attitude or playing style of the team. Even the Reds at their lowest ebb, the fans never turned on the players and I can't imagine any other sports team in any code in Australia with a supporter base that would.

Status
Not open for further replies.