• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Reds - Round 1 - 2012R01

Status
Not open for further replies.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
People may wonder why Jenkins from outside the Tahs 35 has been included in the 22, as has Lopeti Timani from the EPS. Well, the reason is that apart from 2 front rowers, 21 y.o. lock Greg Peterson, plus Metuisela in the EPS, there are no healthy forwards left in the 35.

There are no healthy backs left in the 30 contracted players either: those available are in the 22, and in the EPS there is only 3rd string scrummie Grayson Hart left.

Jesus... I knew it was bad but that is rediculous!!!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
If there is any silver lining to this it is that some people will get an opportunity they otherwise wouldn't get. We already knew that Kingston and BKH would be starting on the wing because Turner was crocked a couple of weeks ago and Mitchell a while back. Hangers gets another chance and good luck to him but Foley will be sniffing the wind on the bench if Hangers falters, even with his goal kicking.

It looked like McCutcheon would be preferred at 7 but Alcock can have a red hot go now and prove his point. Since Jenkins is on the bench Alcock won't be saving a lot of petrol.

Trist may get a shot from the bench but will likely be saved for last. Jenkins will get a go from the pine, but the player I am most looking forward to playing is Lopeti Timani. I have rated the 21 year old no. 8 highly since seeing him for the Junior Tahs last year and he has been better still in 2012 trials.

But talk is cheap - let's see.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I don't think we will be the only team run bare this year. We have smaller squads and a longer season. It appears the Tahs have planned for this. Having Jenkins on the the outskirts shows there is some planning.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Lee, don't forget Trist - on the bench and in the EPS. He was outside the 35 as well?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
He is in the EPS, in other words he is in the 35. Grayson Hart is the only healthy back in the 35 not in the matchday 22.

If there are other injuries to the backs, the players who were invited to play in the trial to make up two teams of 30, with so many many folks injured already then, will be looked at, especially Betham, Hodge and Browne.

The versatility of B. Foley is becoming significant on the chessboard though he may not be used in a lot of positions, in fact. Like a knight in an advanced post at e6 for a long time, he exerts influence by just being there.

W

What2040

Guys, you've got it all wrong.

It's Pretorius box kick gathered by a marvelous one-handed catch by 2 Rats (who swam back from Japan to make the game in time). Quick ball B.I.G. to Hangers, dummies and crash ball straight through Harris and Robinson, offload to Chariots at extreme pace. Chariots throws a 40m cut out ball to 2 Dads on the fly, who steps Morahan and sends it out to BKH on the wing. BKH moari side-step straight over the top of Ioane, slows him down and Shipperly comes across in defence. Inside ball to Horne, Horne palms off Tapuai and scores just to the left of the posts.

Don't you people know anything!:cool:

How can you read that much from TEA LEAVES in a cup

L

Linebacker_41

Please be gentle as this is my first post. Ah screw that.

Let me get stuck in and cop the spray that comes back cause this is the biggest game of the year (until next week).

Even before the injuries I thought the Reds would win.

Why? cause collectively they will win the collision 2 out of the 3 key collision areas of our code. They will win the tackle collision (like in game 2) and will win the breakdown.

The reds cohesion in defensive and attack on the ball as a team to win the breakdown will secure enough pill to control the game. Let's face it they are not going to score a lot of tries. Neither team will.

The spectacle will be 30 blokes smashing into each other at the breakdown and the defensively line. AND THAT WILL BE A THING OF BEAUTY.

The only collision area that the Reds may lose is the scrum. And that wont be by much.

Link is too smart to get stung by the tahs again. Field position will reign supreme. The Reds will win penalty after penalty at the breakdown cause Cliffy and TPN cant beat the dedicated pack of 8 that will win the breakdown. The Reds will take then their points with the next Wallaby 5/8th Mike "Lowery" Harris slotting about 90% accuracy.

As to wy I think Mike Harris will be the next Wallaby 5/8th, no it is not because he is the best in Aust. Logic suggests that the 5/8th will come from the Force or the Reds and in that battle he is the best of those teams.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Welcome aboard Kryogen, There were spots of lucidity in your post. Link will try to play in the right real estate and know that the back three of the Tahs are not long kickers, and the two wingers are not really wingers, and one, BKH, is not that fast into the bargain.

If Link does that he won't get any points for coach of the year though: it's coaching against who is left in the Tahs team 101.

Agree about Harris. I rate him as really a 12 who can play 10 rather well and he's the best goal kicker in any Oz team into the bargain.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Are you actually serious?

I always assumed it was tongue in cheek when Waratahs supporters allude to the fact that they scored more tries, I never actually assumed that they felt their side play rugby in an entertaining and free-flowing way. Nor should they, Waratahs are built upon a strong foundation of grafting play and a strong set piece. Your backline work last year was atrocious, absolutely no cohesion. I can not remember any set moves, and other than Berrick kicking the ball away or a moment of magic from KB (Kurtley Beale). Your 12 doesn't even pass the ball or step for that matter.

Waratahs are a fantastic side, but it is not perception that has the Reds marked as entertainers - it is the years of unapologetically ugly rugby from our then most successful side. The argument out of NSW was always 'that how winning rugby is played', as if successful sides couldn't play with any flair because it was not the 'percentage' play.

My blood has cooled back down now, cheers.

Completely serious, I didn't question if QLD were entertainers or nt. Merely the perception that NSW will be criticized fir boring rugby while for the reds playing that style is seen as "adapting a game plan".

The reds played some atrocious wasteful rugby last year along with some sublime rugby and along with boring rugby. In the end winning. The comp people forget the rest and only remember the good parts. The perception is (in the media) that the reds run everything, don't kick and score try's at will.this is just untrue. They played entertaining rugby last year. They won the comp and deserve credit.

Doesn't change the fact that in any game two teams are playing and both teams are responsible for the spectacle.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Link has been banned from coaching from the sideline by SANZAR, I don't understand why it's an issue?

i was doing some work for my local club and they said that refs have been told to crack down at surburban and jr level on people and coaches inside fences and in certain areas this year. not sure if it is related or not but well could be.

its a non issue though, he can stand anywhere he wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.