• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Reds - Round 1 - 2012R01

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Linebacker_41

A head coach can't be in the field of play. There is conjecture what constitutes the field of play with some officialdom (and it appears the tahs match manager in this case) believing it extends to the fenceline.

The french do this particularly well in their comp and I for one love seeing the "manager" in the A-League complaining and barking orders to his team from the sidelines. It adds to the theatre of the game. God knows it has been sanitised too much already.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
A head coach can't be in the field of play. There is conjecture what constitutes the field of play with some officialdom (and it appears the tahs match manager in this case) believing it extends to the fenceline.

The french do this particularly well in their comp and I for one love seeing the "manager" in the A-League complaining and barking orders to his team from the sidelines. It adds to the theatre of the game. God knows it has been sanitised too much already.

I think you may mean "playing enclosure": http://www.irblaws.com/downloads/EN/Law_1_EN.pdf
The field of play is bounded by the touchlines and the try line.
Link had a tendency to stand in a sort of tunnel or some area with direct access to the playing enclosure and so he may have encroached when (if?) he got excited.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Seems like a trivial thing to rule on but. With the standard of comms available these days, it will matter little to how the team is run or managed during the game if he is near the reserve bench or up in the coaches box. Let the coaches stand where they want I reckon.

We don't need to be worrying about things like this.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
Tahs gamesmanship.

They could have let him be there like he was all last year, but they are trying everything to put the Reds off their game.

I applaud the attention to detail.

T

tranquility

The versatility of B. Foley is becoming significant on the chessboard though he may not be used in a lot of positions, in fact. Like a knight in an advanced post at e6 for a long time, he exerts influence by just being there.

Its amazing what injuries do for opportunities isn't it? Bernard, who has only played the 1 super match becomes a pivotal player who could be thrust into the game at 10, or 15 and take shots are goal. Beyond this match he is even more important as he can allow for so many adjustments in the Waratah backline. The equivalent of out Benny Lucas I would say.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Tahs gamesmanship.

They could have let him be there like he was all last year, but they are trying everything to put the Reds off their game.

I applaud the attention to detail.

According to the Tele it's an ANZ stadium thing as they have marked the field if play differently to other stadiums. Not gamesmanship at all as he wasn't allowed there last tear either.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
bloody ref, sorry guys but I wanted to be the first to complain!

seriously though, I am really pumped for this game, it was good to see the Brumbies and Force last night, but I think this is the first chance to see the real deal teams for the Aussie conference. I think Reds, Tahs and Rebels will be an interesting battle for the conference title.

My heart say Reds but I have bet on Tahs by 2. My other prediction is that we will be talking about at ,east 4 uncapped p,ayers as future Wallabies by the end of the game.

Today is the second Cristmas for the year, I cant wait!

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
Well said Tranquility. We have sat in the pouring rain watching the Reds go down, yet aginn, in another home game over the past years when things were dark and ugly and not once did the our crowd boo their team. Booing was kept for the referee (sadly) or they were visiting oppositon fans.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
If there is one thing I love about Tahs v Reds games is the fan one-upmanship! The constant battle for morale superiority, the defensiveness, the perennial "Our fans would never do that!" "Our fans this & that blah blah blah". I can only hope the actual game is as entertaining as the battle between the fans. From an outside observer both sets of fans have no reason to claim any stakes in superiority.

Reds by 5.

Oh yeah & someone needs to remind me, Sydney or Brisbane, which one is the center of the universe again?

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Can't wait for tonight. First game of the season, so maybe a little less pretty than some late season matches, but it's been so long since I had my reds fix!!!!!

leakytap

Sydney Middleton (9)
Seems like a trivial thing to rule on but. With the standard of comms available these days, it will matter little to how the team is run or managed during the game if he is near the reserve bench or up in the coaches box. Let the coaches stand where they want I reckon.

We don't need to be worrying about things like this.

Picture this scenario if I may indulge.

Two players are down at once and the Physio and the doctor are trying to communicate to coaches (in coaches box) and manager the severity of the situation. The Dr and Physio are talking over the top of each other - result jumbled message.
Manager takes control - "one at a time boys Doc you first".
Also the player in the blood bin and is due to get back on the field - (10 minutes allowed to get stitched) he not back yet 8 mins ticked over. Send the water runner to Medical room to check if he is ready to go back on.

The Reserves are in the in goal area doing their warm ups - the manager is trying to contact the trainer to get reserves back to replace the injured whilst also trying to speak to the coach. Because positions need to covered by reserves who will be substituting in unfamiliar positions. The coach wants to speak quickly to the reserves before they take the field.

What I am saying is that all hell can break loose on the sideline and I know the teams are run professionally, but if Link is allowed to stand in the players tunnel as he does at Suncorp then he can talk directly to the reserves and the manager and hence make it so once less person is talking on the "Comms". He will still be in communication with the other coaches in the box who have the height to see everything else.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Angry Seahorse, you of all people should know it's not "fan one-upmanship", it's "fan one-up(person)ship"! I think your prediction for full-time score is somewhat conservative!

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Really looking forward to seeing some of the younger players continue to step up in their rugby development. Particularly the likes of Taps, Morahan and Gill. This could be a breakout year for these three (at least I hope so).

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I read in the paper that link has the option of demoting himself to the position of assistant coach if he wants to maintain his position on the sideline.

This really is poor sportsmanship by the tahs, and I hope that the reds make their disappointment in the decision known through the medium of james horwills fists. Preferably towards tom carter, but any waratahs player will do.

mjw

Larry Dwyer (12)
I read in the paper that link has the option of demoting himself to the position of assistant coach if he wants to maintain his position on the sideline.

This really is poor sportsmanship by the tahs, and I hope that the reds make their disappointment in the decision known through the medium of james horwills fists. Preferably towards tom carter, but any waratahs player will do.
Surely this is a sanzar problem and nothing to do with the Tahs.

Status
Not open for further replies.