• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Reds - Round 1 - 2012R01

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Let's drop the booing thing - they were booed not for their dour play, but because they lost to the cheetahs. Anyone would boo that

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The game where the Tahs were booed off was because they were completely terrible for 80 minutes.

They underestimated the opposition (by turning down points in the first half), played terribly and lost the game against a very average team.

The booing was because they played an absolutely terrible game of football.

Overall, I don't think the Tahs played an unattractive style of football last year.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yep the Cheetahs game is the only game I thought we underperformed in and didn't play to the best of our ability. I cannot criticise them for any other game, we had a massive player toll throughout the season which eventually saw us without 14 starters for the final game against the Blues and still performed admirably. I don't condone booing and was not part of it but I can understand the supporters frustrations form that Cheetahs game, it was a compele diaster but one game does not make a season. Every other game we scored some fantastic tries through great backline play, despite your ignorance I distrinctly remember 3 set piece tries which I'm not even sure what your point was. Our outside backs bagged plenty of tries. Even your tirade on Carter is ridiculous, he had a fantastic season where he was an absolute rock in defense and broke numerous tackle and saw him score something like 6-7 tries of which included great individual work. Not able to step is hardly a big deal for a crash balling 12 like him, I don't remember seeing Ant able to step either.

T

tranquility

Maybe it is the fact that you deem Carter to have had a 'fantastic season' which is where your and my interpretation and expectations of the word entertaining differ.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
The Waratahs have a new play for 2012 where Tom Carter and Adam Ashley-Cooper do a run around.

As the other team will be expecting neither player to pass, the simple act of one passing to the other and then getting the ball back is sure to leave defences bamboozled.

The option on the play is for the run around to happen and then a further pass goes to Sitaleki Timani (obviously the option only becomes available after a couple of rounds). The mere act of Timani catching the ball will be too much for the defence to handle and he'll stroll in for a try uncontested.

and then a further pass goes to Sitaleki Timani
who paases on to Beale. Whoops.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
It is pretty clear to most that the entertaining vs ugly argument is not decided by the amount of tries scored, but how they are scored.

As pretty to watch, set piece play tries, are; nothing will get a crowd on thier feet quicker than broken play counter attack that travels, 50, 60 70 or 100m. Regardless of whether it results in a try or not.

I can't find it now, so call this BS if you want, but I read a stat just prior to the final last year that ~80% of Crusaders tries in 2011 came from broken play and ~70% of the Reds tries came from broken play also. I also remember reading a stat that a significant number of Reds tries came form attack/counter attack that started in their own half.

That is entertainment.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Guys, you've got it all wrong.

It's Pretorius box kick gathered by a marvelous one-handed catch by 2 Rats (who swam back from Japan to make the game in time). Quick ball B.I.G. to Hangers, dummies and crash ball straight through Harris and Robinson, offload to Chariots at extreme pace. Chariots throws a 40m cut out ball to 2 Dads on the fly, who steps Morahan and sends it out to BKH on the wing. BKH moari side-step straight over the top of Ioane, slows him down and Shipperly comes across in defence. Inside ball to Horne, Horne palms off Tapuai and scores just to the left of the posts.

Don't you people know anything!:cool:

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)

It's Pretorius box kick gathered by a marvelous one-handed catch by 2 Rats (who swam back from Japan to make the game in time). Quick ball B.I.G. to Hangers, dummies and crash ball straight through Harris and Robinson, offload to Chariots at extreme pace. Chariots throws a 40m cut out ball to 2 Dads on the fly, who steps Morahan and sends it out to BKH on the wing. BKH moari side-step straight over the top of Ioane, slows him down and Shipperly comes across in defence. Inside ball to Horne, Horne palms off Tapuai and scores just to the left of the posts.

We know lots. Just don't have you flair for imagination. :(

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
We know lots. Just don't have you flair for imagination. :(

Okay, maybe a little unrealistic. I'll fix it:

It's Pretorius box kick gathered by a marvelous one-handed catch by 2 Rats (who swam back from Japan to make the game in time). Quick ball B.I.G. to Hangers, dummies and crash ball straight through Harris and Robinson, offload to Chariots at extreme pace. Chariots throws a 40m cut out ball to 2 Dads on the fly, who steps Morahan and sends it out to BKH on the wing. BKH moari side-step straight over the top of Ioane, does absolutely nothing to slow him down, Shipperly comes across in defence. Inside ball to Horne, Horne palms off Tapuai and scores just to the left of the posts.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Just got my tickets for this... can't wait. Who should i go for? think i'll be cheering for rugby.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The Tahs played some awful rugby last year. Nothing wrong with kicking: Barnes' kicking in the two 2012 trials was excellent but in a lot of 2011 Super games it was dreadful from him; but he wasn't the Lone Ranger by any means.

But this is the game thread and not the Tahs thread.

It's bad luck that Barnes was injured in the Tonga trial but he had a niggles there against Samoa in Tamworth and probably should have missed the 2nd match. It is well that Hangers starts ahead of Foley but once Foley racks up some meaningful Super game time he could well get precedence in such a situation.

People may wonder why Jenkins from outside the Tahs 35 has been included in the 22, as has Lopeti Timani from the EPS. Well, the reason is that apart from 2 front rowers, 21 y.o. lock Greg Peterson, plus Metuisela in the EPS, there are no healthy forwards left in the 35.

There are no healthy backs left in the 30 contracted players either: those available are in the 22, and in the EPS there is only 3rd string scrummie Grayson Hart left.

Walt Whitman's father once said to him: "Keep a good heart; the worst is yet to come."

Hopefully it is already here.

Status
Not open for further replies.