• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
From a French website specialized on Japanese Rugby, it seems that Michael Leitch (born in NZ) could sign for the Western Force soon. He is a flanker.
Interesting not sure how as we already have our 2 marquee spots filled he has played for Japan so there would be no other way for him to sign with us will have to wait and see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
I thought Force had been given extra concessions in the marquee spots department?
They were we got an extra 1 marquee spot to make it a total of 2 we have Alby and Steenkamp and then we where given 2 extra development spots for a total of 4 you have Haywood, Eberson, Heiberg and Marcel so unless we have been given some more I don't know how he will be signed we do need another flanker though and there was also a rumour about another SA player (see above) so maybe we have some more spots.

There was also an article awhile ago about Rocky looking to play super rugby again and how he had a link with Foley after the MMM experiment last year if his body was alright I wouldn't mind seeing him this year but there hasn't been anything since that article in the Australian.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Hmmm, that would be a bit sneaky.

Yeah, obviously Japan are keen with their upcoming RWC and possible Supe ascension. We *might* be helping them out.

" ... there is a view an Asian side could become part of an expanded Super Rugby competition in the future.​
It is understood the ARU was investigating dispensation for all five Australian teams to add an Asian player to their respective rosters to develop the game in that region."​

tony kennedy

Bob McCowan (2)
As a fan of Australian super rugby in England I find it hard to understand why yours teams sign 2nd rate foreign players to fill squad places . This last flanker from the sharks unless brilliant wont get much game time behind Alcock ,Hodgson ,Cottrell ,etc. With all the good young aussie flankers around you could be developing them. This being the same with the centre and some of the other backs as well as well.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
As a fan of Australian super rugby in England I find it hard to understand why yours teams sign 2nd rate foreign players to fill squad places . This last flanker from the sharks unless brilliant wont get much game time behind Alcock ,Hodgson ,Cottrell ,etc. With all the good young aussie flankers around you could be developing them. This being the same with the centre and some of the other backs as well as well.

Enlighten us what good young Aussie flankers are you talking about why is it any different getting a young Saffa at least he will know how good a wicket he is on and be great full for the opportunity and not look to fuck off East When a better offer comes along.

tony kennedy

Bob McCowan (2)
point taken I was thinking players like Hodson who had an outstanding season and was part of the western force training squad once. this post was not just aimed at you look at the brumbies signing a 9 and 10 to sit behind white and To'omua

Woodenspoon

Herbert Moran (7)
Enlighten us what good young Aussie flankers are you talking about why is it any different getting a young Saffa at least he will know how good a wicket he is on and be great full for the opportunity and not look to fuck off East When a better offer comes along.
Of course there's no difference in signing a South african player rather than an Australian one, but we can't deny they're an unknown factor for the next season. With the only exception of Steenkamp, who played just a few minutes last season in Super rugby anyway, the other South african guys have experience only in the third and (mainly) forth-tier competitions in South Africa (Currie Cup and Vodacom Cup)
Is that enough to compete at Super rugby level? I hope so.
Stander and Louwrens could be good choices, at least they're young and there might be room for developement, but the selection of the other players from SA may be arguable, especially if they'll let us down in the future.
Either way, the 2014 Force squad looks improved compared to last year

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Jeez it amkes a big difference to me whether an Aussie is signed in preference to a Saffa, Kiwi, Pom Irish or any other nationality.

Aren't we trying to improve Australian Rugby and create pathways to the higest level within this country. Young Australian players should always receive some type of preference - FUCK thats what it is all about

T

TOCC

Jeez it amkes a big difference to me whether an Aussie is signed in preference to a Saffa, Kiwi, Pom Irish or any other nationality.

Aren't we trying to improve Australian Rugby and create pathways to the higest level within this country. Young Australian players should always receive some type of preference - FUCK thats what it is all about

A losing and uncompetitive franchise isn't going to benefit Australian Rugby though.. If this helps the Force to become a more competitive team and bring in extra fans/viewers/sponsors then that is a positive for Australian rugby.

The pathways aren't going to exist at all if teams continue to struggle financially.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Understand that TOCC.

Maybe just maybe a Franchise that is not capable to being reasonablely competitive after a time to fold !!!!! Is the Force financially viable or does the ARU subsidise to a much greater level than the remaining 5 Australian franchises?????

Please do not think I am advocating for the Force to fold !!!!

T

TOCC

The force receive no subsidy, they receive the same payments as the other provinces... My point was you can't expect them to be financially viable forever if they aren't competitive on the field, they currently have no major sponsor for 2014 which will impact on their bottom line if not resolved before the season starts.

Having the Force is of an enormous benefit to Australian Rugby, even if they have 7 foreign players in their squad that still leaves 28 contracted positions remaining not to mention the additional non-contracted players who train with the club.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)

You also need to understand that most West Aussies couldn't give too shits about Rugby. The driving force behind the Force in WA is the expat support. Kiwi's, South Africans, and Poms probably make up half the support. In my local paper they run pictures from the kids rugby. The captions invariably read "de Beer passes to Rapana before being tackled by Te Waru.

It doesn't hurt to have these South African players for us. They engage the expats and the expat kids will be a big chunk of the next generation of WA players.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Fucking EXCELLANT point. I had never thought with that reasoning - mate very happy to have squillions of Saffas in Perth - wish we had more in QLD quite frankly - good conservative people with a love of family values, conservatism and rugby of course. One generation, of course they barrack for the Wallabies

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Forces thoughts on the issue

Rainbow Nation throws up Force X-factor

The days of an open chequebook as the flawed solution for quick success at the Western Force are well and truly buried.

And now, so is paying top dollar for a player who may not be up to Super Rugby standard, just because he is Australian.

The Force, with the Australian Rugby Union's dispensation to sign two international marquee players and six foreign development players who would become eligible to play for the Wallabies, have looked to new pastures and, in particular, South Africa.

There are now eight players from the Rainbow Nation in the playing group - five of them in the Super squad - and coach Michael Foley could not be happier.

"The days of paying a premium price because the player happens to be Australian are over for us, which is great," Foley said.

"I'm absolutely rapt that the guys from South Africa are here.

"We're very open-minded about where we want to recruit from. We want the right person with the right skill sets."

Latest recruit, flanker Brynard Stander, joins new Super signings second-rower Wilhelm Steenkamp, who has played more than 50 Super Rugby games for the Bulls, Cheetahs and Sharks, and centre Marcel Brache and prop Chris Heiberg, both from Western Province.

Fly-half Sias Ebersohn already has one season under his belt after signing from the Cheetahs.

Prop Francois van Wyk, South African junior world winner fly-half/full-back Dillyn Leyds and outside back Dylan Sage are in the wider training group.

"To a man they have brought great attitude and some really different skills sets," Foley said.

"It is quite stimulating for an Australian player to suddenly have three or four South African players in his squad.

"For example, it would be silly not to listen to Wilhelm about mauling. The Bulls know about mauling.

"The South African guys are contributing not just in terms of effort, but in terms of the richness of the rugby that we play.

"The guys here are very humble. When new guys join the team, the thing that stands out is that there is an absence of ego."

·The Force have invited two rugby nations to Perth for games as they build up to the start of the season.

They will play Samoa A (February 7) and the Pampas (February 14), regarded as the Argentina A side, before their season opener against the Waratahs in Sydney on February 23.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...orce-x-factor/

Status
Not open for further replies.