• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Joe Savage. I have to say, if there is one thing I am disappointed with with Foley it is prop recruitment. I know there aren't a whole heap of Super Rugby quality props out there but I still think we could have done better. I am confident Hoskins will be great, but he won't be ready to be a starter for another year or two.

Joel14

Frank Row (1)
Was just wondering on what people's thoughts were on having Cummings aka the honey badger, playing outside centre? I rekon he would make a great centre as he runs straight and runs hard. And with Godwin and a fast winger like Mitchell Scott on either side I rekon we would have a pretty dangerous backline! Thoughts?

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Was just wondering on what people's thoughts were on having Cummings aka the honey badger, playing outside centre? I rekon he would make a great centre as he runs straight and runs hard. And with Godwin and a fast winger like Mitchell Scott on either side I rekon we would have a pretty dangerous backline! Thoughts?

It be a good idea to add some midfield strength, but I'm not sure how great Badge is at setting up his outside man. I'd hope you would bring him back on the wing and get him up to speed with the game plan before throwing him in the hot seat.

brokendown

Vay Wilson (31)
he showed a fundamental flaw by putting his head in front of the ball carrier,instead of behind,in at least one of those attempted tackles

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
He really hasn't taken off like I hoped he would have.

Does he still have pace? Perhaps he should focus on 7s for a couple of years and go for an Olympic spot.

caymantim

Herbert Moran (7)
Is there a Brumbies v Force game thread? I am struggling to understand how the team that dominated the Tahs has turned into the last 2 weeks......

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
They aren't an excuse either. Injuries can account for a loss. They can't necessarily account for the manner of the loss. The games against the Reds and Hurricanes were poor on too many levels to blame injury. At least against the Hurricanes we were outclassed rather than out-enthused.

B

Bobby Sands

What I like about watching the Force is they don't lose much from the bench, either than or they are very fit. Injuries aside if you can get more points / pressure on early you are going to be a good show because you don't tail off.

Mafi looked good to me, and I look forward to him being Wallaby eligible.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He's going to have to make the Sevens team and play a bunch of games first though..............

M

Moono75

Nick Taylor
The West Australian

There was plenty of talk about 2015 being a renaissance year for the Western Force after their season-opening win over reigning champions the Waratahs.

Since then there has been plenty of talk about what has amounted so far to a false dawn. But finally it seems the players have said that the time for talking is over, albeit maybe a bit too late.

Now is a time of desperation as the Force face a massive uphill task of breaking a four-game losing streak against the Bulls at their "fortress" Loftus Versfeld on Saturday night.

Winger Marcel Brache says the players must take responsibility for the poor start. "We've had a couple of discussions but discussion can only take you so far," Brache said. "The coaches give us a game plan. It’s about actually going out there and executing that plan. "It's up to us to make sure we are all on the same page. "It's an attitude thing, we're letting minor moments slip. It's that we have to rectify as players."

The Force must be quicker out of the blocks. In the past two games they have chased the result, playing their best rugby in the second half when it was too late. They must be abrasive early, particularly against the Bulls who are one of the biggest sides in Super Rugby.

"The fast start ... we want to rectify it. Attitude, whatever you want to call it, it's about us going out there and making sure we get out there early. "We want the opportunity to actually close down a game rather than chasing it. "Confidence is still very high. We believe in ourselves as a team even though the results haven't gone out way."

Adding to the task ahead, the Force will face a Bulls side fresh from a bye after an impressive 39-20 win over the Cheetahs two weeks ago. Brache said the Force had to acknowledge the challenge in Pretoria. "The Bulls are a challenge whether they have had a bye or not," he said. "You've got all the elements. Loftus has seen a couple of Super Rugby titles won there, you've got altitude and the game plan that they bring with a big pack and an exciting back line. We have to acknowledge what it is and what we are going up against."

Bull coach Frans Ludeke will have Springbok loose forward Arno Botha back from injury. He is likely to start from the reserves bench. Prop Trevor Nyakane is set to return to his usual loosehead role after playing the first part of the campaign on the other side of the scrum while Marcel van der Merwe will return to the other side of the scrum. Fly-half Jacques-Louis Potgieter is back from injury and will provide cover for Handre Pollard from the bench.

M

Moono75

This is professional sports. You cant come out in Round 6 and say "shit we better start knuckling down now". NO......that is a given from Round 1 if you are serious and learnt your lessons from 2014 and whats gone on before. We are playing catch up rugby now and whilst anything can happen it will be tough to peg the leaders back and push to a maiden finals appearance.

If they don't make some personnel and positional switches with Wykes and Junior to the bench, Brache in the centres with Godwin and give Mitch Scott some reward with a start on the wing then they have learnt nothing. The players need to be accountable for their performances, no one is untouchable and that will engender respect throughout the playing group.

B

Bobby Sands

WA rugby is so bloody exciting. Will very shortly be the standout third production zone for rugby in Australia, if it isn't already. Incredible growth really.

Go the Force !!!!

Tigs Man

Allen Oxlade (6)
How is Big Steve Mafi getting on for you guys, saw him play the other week and he looks like he is enjoying the hard ground and running rugby.

We miss him over here. Esp with Croft injured again.

Interesting he is playing at lock here he played more @ 6 (although played often at 6).

Hopefully he can be one of the few products of NH rugby to be a success in super rugby. (I know he originally started in Aus but he was really made in Leicester).

Status
Not open for further replies.