• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

WTC and Ashes 2023

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Doesn't surprise me with how they treat these guys in India. Sharma was being a brat as well. When your Captain is doing it of course other players will. Seems bizarre to say but Kohli has actually become one of the more mature members of the Indian team. He gives respect to other players on other teams.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Kohli cops a bit because he's basically got Aussie attitude but in a non-Aussie team. Love to hate him ;)

Rohit looks like a total flog, tho.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Kohli cops a bit because he's basically got Aussie attitude but in a non-Aussie team. Love to hate him ;)

I don't actually mind Kohli - he's like an Indian David Warner, so I guess he's ok in small doses (like Warner)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm just curious why they've brought him back. Surely they have some spinners in the County Championship that are good enough to play?

With Jack Leach's injury ruling him out of the series England have no other spinner that they've got any confidence in.

It's a bit of a panic selection to recall Moeen Ali but I also think he's probably still their second best option.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

I love Kohli, always have. Like Stokes he plays to win and for the longest time I wished he was on our team. That's the best grudging side-mouth compliment an Aussie can give :)

His powers are on the wane a bit now though.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Can't quite work out what'll happen these Ashes. I'm predicting 3-2 to England or a draw.

I think we've been lulled into a false sense of security with our recent form, the WTC final etc. Need a reminder that an away Ashes win is not something you do easily.

They've dropped Wood who got a few key wickets last time round to keep Broad & Anderson. Hopefully Anderson breaks down in old age.

Bairstow is batting at 7 and got 4 centuries in his last 4 tests. Not bad. They've got a deep lineup.

Then again, Head has just been moved up to 3rd in the ICC rankings for batters, now Australia is the first country in 4 decades to have the trifecta at the top of the rankings. Dunno what I'm worried about.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
At first glance their bowling doesn't concern me too much as of right now but then you have to factor in the conditions and how these guys become wizards in England. They are going to need to get a lot out of Broad and Anderson if Ali gets taken to which I hope we do.

I'm confident we can win the series. We have players that can win big moments. Boland is showing it's no fluke and he takes wickets in clumps. Cummins always has a spell that he can run through a line up. We just need the batters to get enough and hope Smith, Head, Marnus can cash in when they get a chance.

Biggest concern for me is the openers. Both 36 and all eyes are on Warner. Picking Broad is no coincidence. I have no faith in Marcus Harris, he's not a Test opener even with a not bad recent Country run.

Last edited:

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I've seen some of the County Championship shorts, and Broad has been looking relatively pedestrian bowling, but I'm expecting him to pick up for the Ashes.

Stokes has really only just got back into bowling full steam this week - with Ali bowling, Stokes is going to have to be able to shoulder his load of overs, or they're going to be over loading Broad and Anderson.

I'm thinking either a draw or 3-2 to Australia.

It's also going to be interesting to see how the pitches turn out - will they make roads, or traditional English pitches?

Even though Warner got some runs in the final, I'm not convinced he's turned a corner and will succeed in the Ashes.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
It will be interesting re the pitches. Stokes was saying he would be asking for flat (pitch doctoring is fine in 2023) but we haven't won a series on their traditional decks for 22 years so not sure why they would give us anything different now.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
It will be interesting re the pitches. Stokes was saying he would be asking for flat (pitch doctoring is fine in 2023) but we haven't won a series on their traditional decks for 22 years so not sure why they would give us anything different now.
And only if you're England or India - everyone else not allowed.

Re Stokes comments - maybe he knows that English pitches really aren't great for their new Bazball method. I don't think that it's actually going to benefit them like he thinks it will.

I actually hope that the Groundsmen ignore him and just do their thing (as much as I don't think we'll get far on English pitches)

Stagnation

Allen Oxlade (6)
Can't quite work out what'll happen these Ashes. I'm predicting 3-2 to England or a draw.

I think we've been lulled into a false sense of security with our recent form, the WTC final etc. Need a reminder that an away Ashes win is not something you do easily.

They've dropped Wood who got a few key wickets last time round to keep Broad & Anderson. Hopefully Anderson breaks down in old age.

Bairstow is batting at 7 and got 4 centuries in his last 4 tests. Not bad. They've got a deep lineup.

Then again, Head has just been moved up to 3rd in the ICC rankings for batters, now Australia is the first country in 4 decades to have the trifecta at the top of the rankings. Dunno what I'm worried about.
Will Ali bat 8

He can certainly hold a stick. I do recall him opening the batting once or twice or it might have been in an ODI

but they certainly do bat pretty deep

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'm another who can't really get a sense of the result of this Ashes. I think we're a big chance, but I also expect England's bats to collar our blokes a couple of times and win matches as a result.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
What a great day, I'm ready. Really hoping Ussie can find his India form. Not high hopes for Warner.

Have to admit 8pm starts is probably the worst possible time for me, won't get to watch any of it live.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Yeah loving this to keep me occupied for the near future then it'll be red hot into RWC build up.

I also have doubt over Warner but when he's been doubted other times he has done something special. Just hope he hasn't lost it. He'll get himself in trouble if he tries to see off Broad. Rather see him back himself and score runs.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Re Stokes comments - maybe he knows that English pitches really aren't great for their new Bazball method. I don't think that it's actually going to benefit them like he thinks it will.

I actually hope that the Groundsmen ignore him and just do their thing (as much as I don't think we'll get far on English pitches)

I would have thought that most of what has made conditions favourable for bowling in England is the overhead conditions rather than the pitch.

Less grass on the surface should certainly mean that the ball stays new for less time and doesn't swing for as long but then it should also start reversing sooner.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Which pace bowlers get included for the first test?

Green in as an all rounder. Cummins as captain. I think Boland has to get the nod...

Hazelwood somewhat similar to Boland. Then Starc brings an attacking point of difference but might leak runs.

Who misses out?

Australia Pace Bowlers - Career length split
Full %Good %Short %
S Boland195328
J Hazlewood354322
P Cummins233641
C Green293140
M Starc382933

Dctarget

John Eales (66)

Green in as an all rounder. Cummins as captain. I think Boland has to get the nod...

Hazelwood somewhat similar to Boland. Then Starc brings an attacking point of difference but might leak runs.

Who misses out?

Full %Good %Short %
S Boland195328
J Hazlewood354322
P Cummins233641
C Green293140
M Starc382933
Hazelwood for first test. They'll all get a shot with 6 tests in 5 weeks.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)

Who misses out?

Full %Good %Short %
S Boland195328
J Hazlewood354322
P Cummins233641
C Green293140
M Starc382933
He'll probably be player of the series after I type this but I think Starc could be attacked as they did to Johnson.

Too full. Because he swings it in Australia at times when no one else can there is a prevailing notion that he must be good in English conditions but if you look at their best bowlers at home there aren't many similarities in actions or physique.

I would almost guarantee that even Cummins will be rested at some point during this series though so they'll all get a chance.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I reckon they will run it back with the team that just played in the WTC.

Even though he's declared fit another week wouldn't hurt Hazlewood and he'll be ready to go.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yeah, I would ease Hazlewood back in and go with the same team as played the WTC.

He'll probably be player of the series after I type this but I think Starc could be attacked as they did to Johnson.

Too full. Because he swings it in Australia at times when no one else can there is a prevailing notion that he must be good in English conditions but if you look at their best bowlers at home there aren't many similarities in actions or physique.

They've said that a fair bit of this is tactical. They want him to bowl full and attack the stumps and know that he'll leak runs but he also provides that threat.

If Australia are under the pump and the ball isn't doing much then clearly he should change tactics and bring the length back and bowl more economically.