• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

WTC and Ashes 2023

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I would have thought that most of what has made conditions favourable for bowling in England is the overhead conditions rather than the pitch.

Less grass on the surface should certainly mean that the ball stays new for less time and doesn't swing for as long but then it should also start reversing sooner.
Fair point. I think it's a bit of both - it will be interesting to see how both teams bowlers are able to handle the ball and make it swing.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
At least the weather forecast for Edgbaston (Birmingham) is looking alright for at least the first 2 days.
Sunny & 26 Friday, Sunny & 24 Saturday.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
Yeah, I would ease Hazlewood back in and go with the same team as played the WTC.

They've said that a fair bit of this is tactical. They want him to bowl full and attack the stumps and know that he'll leak runs but he also provides that threat.

If Australia are under the pump and the ball isn't doing much then clearly he should change tactics and bring the length back and bowl more economically.

I'm happy that they give players license to attack but that requires calculated risk whereas I think Starc is struggling to control his line at the moment.

Hopefully he is better for the warm up match and can hit the ground running in this series.

With that full length it somewhat negates the fullest threat of the swing given the ball will stay much lower on those pitches. A little nibble in or away on a good length will bring more forms of dismissal into play than on Aus pitches where slips catches are so dominant.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'd also like to see them use their brains too. Far too many times you see them continue to bowl short rubbish when it's obvious that tactic isn't working.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Agreed. I think the key thing will be to not get sucked into playing like your opposition if that's not your normal game. Don't mind Cummins and co. going with some short stuff, but if they bowl good areas there will be opportunities behind the wicket.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
Must have been a tough call on the bowlers. I think if Hazlewood can shake off the rust it'll prove to be the right decision but that's certainly not a certainty.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
I haven't seen it remarked that much in the media just how significant a call to it is to change bowlers given Starc was part of a team just crowned the world's best but I think the logic is sound. Whether it plays out as the theory would suggest is another matter.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
That was a weird one. Stokes gone now too. Aus on top at the moment, even though the poms were slapping it around like a one dayer earlier

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
That was a weird one. Stokes gone now too. Aus on top at the moment, even though the poms were slapping it around like a one dayer earlier
I think the lengths were not quite right early and our fields are not quite balanced but some Lyon magic and Hazlewood bowling fantastically has counterpunched.