• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian U/19 v. England

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PTB

so if it was just NSW based players, what would the side looks like?

T

tranquility

Is that David Hickey bloke the guys who is playing first grade for Uni? and if so, is he in an academy?

I would also nominate Tom Cusack from the schoolboys as a bolter, he is an outstanding prospect.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
They shouldn't pick any current schoolboy players, whatever their standard IMO. They have enough on their plate already - plus it's a good chance to have a look at fellows who are Oz U/20 candidates for 2012, only a few of whom will be at school now.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Is that David Hickey bloke the guys who is playing first grade for Uni? and if so, is he in an academy?

That's correct, tranquility, although as mentioned above he is ineligible for this team on the grounds of age. He is not in any academy program.

T

tranquility

He must be a good young player. I saw a photo the other day, of him smashing Heath Tessman in a club match. No mean feat.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I've never seen a more aggressive player around Uni, tranquility. You almost have to play him in a muzzle but he is beginning to play a more cool headed game.

He tops the involvement stats each week and has developed a lethal scything tackle. The young bloke also has a huge engine and finishes games full of running.

David Hickey is definitely one for the little black book.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
I've never seen a more aggressive player around Uni, tranquility. You almost have to play him in a muzzle but he is beginning to play a more cool headed game.

He tops the involvement stats each week and has developed a lethal scything tackle. The young bloke also has a huge engine and finishes games full of running.

David Hickey is definitely one for the little black book.

Bruce, what position is he? Does he have the natural attributes to go with his mongrel, to make it at the Super 15/national level?

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
His height suggests he is a 7, Joe. At Joeys I understand he was used as a hooker and at 12 but the back row is his go. I have no doubt that he can go all the way. He will really learn his craft if he gets to play alongside Phil Waugh at club level. I would anticipate him picking up a playing rather than hit shield contract in 2013.

R

rugby_man

David Hickey is a very good young player. He plays a lot like Michael Hooper from the Brumbies. Unlucky he didn't make the Australian Under 20 side but they had some very, very good backrowers in there. I have no doubt he would be a hit in Super Rugby but at the moment, he is learning his craft alongside a whole pack full of Super 15 players and he will benefit greatly from it.

T

tranquility

What kind of dimensions is he? will he be big enough to play 6 at super level?

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
He is different to Gill. Gill is a much better pilferer and has better hands. Hickey is harder, meaner, but not as skillful. When at Joeys, he played 7 then 2 to fit the team. I always thought Hickey was robbed in not playing higher up the schoolboy ladder than he did.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Spewn, I have no direct knowledge but my perception is that the schoolboy selection system is seriously flawed. A lot of talent is overlooked.

I didn't see David Hickey until after he left school but it was immediately obvious to me that even discounting the aggression the kid had the X-factor.

With regard to his skill development Sydney Uni currently has three full time coaches with exceptional capabilities in this area; Todd Louden of course; Todd Dammers who used to be Director of Rugby at Nudgee; and Chris Malone, back from a decade playing in England, who has great skills in kicking and passing.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Bruce,
I am usually reluctant to praise Joeys players, but Hickey was the exception. It was obvious to me that he was a very tough, good player. If you talk to the boys rather than listen to the hype about players and ask them for example who really makes a difference at the breakdown but may not always be visible, Hickey was always rated. Others too may not have been recognized but the Colts system with often excellent coaches should I hope correct the situation.

S

sportsfan

Is there a coach, a manager, a venue or a team? Or is there just embarassment for ASRU on August 21st? Seeing its a Sunday, and most players will be in the last rounds of club footy, will they be unavailable for their normal Saturday game? Do any of the Colts/Grade coaches know the details seeing they will (I guess) lose some of their best performers for the week? Is there any information out there in the cyber rugby world?

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
According to Stalin over at Sportal, Anthony Eddy will be the coach and the team will be announced next Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.