• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2013

Who will be the 2013 Premiers

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Aloysius have no depth - the coaches are pressuring him to play based on his replacement being literally 1/3 of his size.

I'd be surprised if that were so. I suspect he's playing because he wants to, and no-one is trying very hard to stop him.

Rugby Addict

Herbert Moran (7)
Anyone watching Aloys this year would realise that Williams and Goodearl are absolutely essential to have in the team.

Williams missed the first game because of a red card from the last game last year. Aloys are -4 for and against when he is on the field for the Trinity and 1st half of Barker. They are -70 when he is not there. The scrum and lineout fell apart against Barker when he left the field at half time.

Having said that Goodearl is possibly more important - all 8 tries they have scored this year are by the back 4 - simple game plan is spread any decent ball they get wide and quickly and they do that very well. Goodearl has a season ending injury but I hear he wants to try and play with it at some time and no-one will discourage it. Big shame as he is the best 13, and probably 7 too, in the CAS comp.

As for Barker they are bigger, stronger, faster and fitter than everyone else. They smash the opposition in attack and defence and when the petrol runs out in the second half the points build up quickly. I have not seen Waverley but unless they physically match up with Barker they will also be ruthlessly pushed aside. The teams that have played Barker have all stuggled badly the following week.

Benched '84

Allen Oxlade (6)
Stoltz is very good, has played 3 years and shows great leadership in the Backs. He would be what od call the backbone of how they run, and I think barker will benefit from having himself and Smerdon play together for two years.
Also one of the better after match speakers that I've heard! Impressive fellow.
PS good to see the votes for 2013 premiers have swung Barkers way!

footylover101

Allen Oxlade (6)
Aloysius have no depth - the coaches are pressuring him to play based on his replacement being literally 1/3 of his size. No depth despite all these boys being 3 years into their gym programs now - they should hire some staff who do this professionally not teachers who are washed up ex-athletes - with no time to generate the results required
the current year 12's have been weak throughout the entire high school and are completely reliant on two players. However the firsts are coached by the sportmaster and a professional. While the 16's who are undefeated are coached by 2 professionals and overseen by the full time director of rugby.. The replacement for the 13 is I assume to be the fullback who is actually bigger than goodearl himself.

CASfan

Stan Wickham (3)
Trinity with an unchanged lineup for this week, looking to build on their moment created in their last outing.

CASfan

Stan Wickham (3)
Trinity also look to have ola moala and Jacob storey returning within the next couple of week, which will further strengthen their back row.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
My tipping for this weekend.

I think Barker will go on their merry way and beat Waverley. But it may be close. (And in saying that I think the federal election this year may be close.) I wouldn't be surprised if it gets a little heated. I haven't seen Waverley and their backs are always good(ish) and enterprising; but this year Barker's backs are at a different level. Ground, weather conditions as well as complacency and injuries the main factor here for Barer, but I imagine there should be some good viewing moments in this game.

Trinity and Cranbrook. Interesting. I hear that Cranbrook have injury problems and/or players visiting Cranbrook's new property purchase and are a bit down in first choice players. And they are playing away. So that could be against them. Trinity would have taken heart from last week, but will they have taken lessons? And i think they have the same depth problem as Trinity. A close game, but it should be a good game. Leading towards Trinity.

Knox vs Aloys at Aloys. Recent history has it Aloys, winning two against Knox last year and recently Knox have struggled at Willoughby. Both sides have injury issues (though I don't know what teams are playing this week.....) and probably confidence issues as well. Though I am talking 1XV here, I think the defence may be more XII's. Not the attack though. Knox showed something last week, but the close loss could be gutting. Aloy's recent history against Knox would make them feel confident, though Knox are playing under a different coach so that advantage won't be as apparent. A close one, entertaining and the tea leaves say Knox.

In all I think there should be three good games here. And I say that with more confidence than what I can say of the NRL this week-end.

BillyBlack

Allen Oxlade (6)
A question to everyone about coaches. :confused:
Where do your coaches position themselves to watch their teams play ??
Are they on the sideline close to play and reserves ??
Are they in the grandstand along the sideline with a better view ??
Are they at the end of the field (under the goal posts) ??
Are they perched up on high somewhere to see everything ??
Where do you think coaches should be during the game and why ??

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
A question to everyone about coaches. :confused:
Where do your coaches position themselves to watch their teams play ??
Are they on the sideline close to play and reserves ??
Are they in the grandstand along the sideline with a better view ??
Are they at the end of the field (under the goal posts) ??
Are they perched up on high somewhere to see everything ??
Where do you think coaches should be during the game and why ??
I don't think it really matters... When I was a player I preferred them on the sideline because they had a greater presence and they could see the the more minor details that probably couldn't be noted from the grand stand.

smokinjoe

Ward Prentice (10)
There is marked area at some grounds on the sideline about 10 metres either side of halfway for coaches etc.
Reserve players should be in their area adjacent and certainly not behind the posts singing during the start of the game.

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
There is marked area at some grounds on the sideline about 10 metres either side of halfway for coaches etc.
Reserve players should be in their area adjacent and certainly not behind the posts singing during the start of the game.

I didn't realise there were such strict regulations in schoolboy rugby regarding where reserve players can and can't stand nor was I aware that there were rules involving the conduct in which they can and can't support their team

BillyBlack

Allen Oxlade (6)
Kill joy ??
I have watched Barker games for many years and quite enjoy the boys singing from the sidelines at the start of the next game.
They gather in close proximity to where they have cheered on the following team (not always under the goal posts)
Their "singing" is as an inspirational boast for the next team, good team camaraderie, and certainly not confrontational.
I think it's great. I would like to see every school do something.

Eshayz

Sydney Middleton (9)
For one, I think we can all say that the only school that does "singing" is Knox, after experiencing the Barker Knox clash, and having to sit through what felt like a full length Musical... But as far as chants go, grandstands do what they like, I find it's only Barker boys who provide a "G-up" for the next team on. (all schools do a tunnel, but barker does extra where others don't)
I'd disagree with the fact the teams CANNOT cheer from sidelines. it's more the fact that they don't want to, or they are watching the game, or they feel that that is the crowds job. I don't think that its a rule.
As far as coaches go, if they had walkie talkies or radios then maybe, yes they should be up high where they can view the action, however it's better to be with the team, easier to communicate and point out different aspects where players might go wrong or do something right. If coaches were to sit in the grandstands - it's inevitable - old boys, angry parents, anyone could feel the urge to give them some lip, and it wouldn't be beneficial.
As far as I'm concerned, at school boy level, coaches are to be with their teams and on the sideline.

Status
Not open for further replies.