• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

GPS schoolboy rowing 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lane draw predictions for this weekend anyone? Here are mine:
1. High
2. Shore
3. Newington
4. Kings
5. Joeys
6. View
7. Scots
8. Grammar
9. Empty

Sometimes I feel like the middle lanes just get all the attention. Would be quite something to see a win from the peripheral lanes one of these days. Shout out to lane 8.

The Chairman

Tom Lawton (22)
The now Year 11 boys at Ignatius had these top 15 rankings last year.

1. Ward
2. Tancred
3. Johnston
4. Delany
5. McGrath
6. Davis
7. Conna
8. Mc Pherson
9. Field
10. Burke
11. Forlico
12. Sullivan
13. Gontarcy
14. Peterson
15. Van Rijswijk

INJ - Hyles (predicted to be in the top 5)

These were sent to me via a college who used to coach at Ignatius. Keep in mind these are not only a year ago but also ergometer based. Yet I hop some of you find this valuable when predicting Ignatius boats for the weekend.
This is from last year so I find this almost useless. Nonetheless, I'm surprised to see Field so far down.

The Chairman

Tom Lawton (22)
I don't see Shore stacking the Fourth Four here and I think any suggestion like that is rubbish. Yes Welch may have a good ergo score, but it is not translating to wins on the water. They were in the B final at Gold Cup last week. They are in no way stacking. I say the same with King's, it's understandable why the 1st Junior rowers that have just returned are in a low boat. But in order for you to "stack" it has to produce results! You could have a 5:50 on the ergo, but if you can't lay down that wattage and perform well on the water, you may as well pull a 7:30 and get the same results. This chat is ludicrous.

footy&beers

Bob McCowan (2)
Not sure about that. The 3rd IV race will be tight. I'm expecting some good racing from Shore, hopefully without an profanity from the cox!
honestly the amount of bad language coming from these coxes is just too much. They should be held responsible for the standards, and be called out for it!

footy&beers

Bob McCowan (2)
Indeed. Do you have the name of the coxswain? I haven't got much time to check.
Pretty sure the cox for the Shore 3rd 4 was T Gray, The cox for Newington was O Eason, and for Riverview L Hordern-Smith.
These boys should think hard about who they're representing, and the honor and privilege they have to be there. SHould think twice about how they act

Rob hart

Billy Sheehan (19)
I can confirm that the boys they did not know that is was on the Tuesday. This narrative has always been spread by salty kings boys who think you can "cheat" in a rowing race (cough cough 2022). The narrative that kings trained themselves into a wall on the weekend is also false because their second 8 performed unusually well on the day. As for the time, it was a cross headwind so thats why slow times were seen across the board, the race was won fair and square and Scots beat kings numerous times throughout the season anyway
Lets not forget that Scots had beaten Kings on the 3 PREVIOUS regattas in 2020 before HOTR. They were the strongest crew in year 10 ever at Scots, in 2019 they came second to Shore 8 times (beating kings in every race) Scots won the race fair and square by a great group of boys who worked their backsides off for three years doing winter and summer rowing. The statistics just don't sujject anything other than they were always serious contenders coached by the Best Coach in the GPS Jason Baker, what a loss he is to Scots.

Reactions: FCD

The Prophet

Banned
We are talking about schoolboys here, don't discriminate and talk down on them.
-Professor
Professor you have to remember that these 'schoolboys' are young men, and many of which are very close to being adults. They need to be held responsible for their actions and stop all of this tomfoolery. I have heard of numerous occasions of mischievous acts by Shore, Scots and Ignatius men.

The Prophet

Banned
Lets not forget that Scots had beaten Kings on the 3 PREVIOUS regattas in 2020 before HOTR. They were the strongest crew in year 10 ever at Scots, in 2019 they came second to Shore 8 times (beating kings in every race) Scots won the race fair and square by a great group of boys who worked their backsides off for three years doing winter and summer rowing. The statistics just don't sujject anything other than they were always serious contenders coached by the Best Coach in the GPS Jason Baker, what a loss he is to Scots.
Clearly you haven't heard of Andy Hoffman (Shore 2019 1st VIII). Quite a bit of experience to give as a coach

Bobcat54

Stan Wickham (3)
Well done to all the crews who came away with a silver oar on Saturday. It was another great weekend for the sheds involved. Kings seem to have a very expensive day putting a hole in their Fillipi and breaking 2 oars in the process. Interesting to not see St Josephs or Newington as I heard St Josephs have been battling with COVID but Newington decided to have a double session on the Nepean? Nonetheless some great racing from Shore, Kings, and Riverview who were the best 3 crews across the divisions on the day. Schoolboy race of the day would have to be heat 1 of the 1st VIII with Kings narrowly edging out Shore in a Gold Cup classic! Keen to see how the crews perform at the SRC regatta this weekend as well as the crews that race at the Schoolboy HOTR.
Bit late, my apologies. As I live on the river I have seen that Newington boated the eight on the Parramatta and St Josephs sculling with only 7 men up near Hen & Chicken Bay on Saturday. Additionally, I have seen Newington First VIII in their Hudson from last year rather than the Empacher, does anyone know why? Boat damage?

- Bobcat

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.