• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Hurricanes v Reds Sat 23rd April

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Probably discounts the effort he puts into his scrummaging
Yeh when he is scrummaging like that who cares. I think he is a bit too cocky though. It's a good laugh but his disallowed try was a good example of it. He had another crack at it because he usually gets those and I think his ego got in the way

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
You are 100% correct. You left out that crucial word though - litigation. That’s what it’s all about. I fear all contact sports will be phased out of existence within 50 years.
As long as it is 50, I will be 95 and probably wont remember the great days of mountaineering at a breakdown

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Such a disappointing performance by the Reds. They had that game.

Vest not up to it and I’d ditch both Daugunu and at least bench Paisami. His option taking is poor at the moment.

Don’t understand the decision to take Tate off. Thomas so many levels below.

One of Jock’s worst games for Qld and Creighton cost us points too.
I must have watched a different Jock, he was playing two positions tonight and was competent in both, most of the team was not up to the standard required.

The Reds had that game when the Canes were down a player, for the rest of the game it was just like last year, we do not have what is required to compete with the NZ teams at Super Rugby level.

Despite our short falls, there was enough from Creighton to think he may be suitable as a Super AU 10, I don't want to put pressure on the kid, but he is the best 10 we have had since our competition winning 10, JOC (James O'Connor).

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Wtf is wrong with oz sides - to be Up 17_0 and then have 30 unanswered points put out against you is not a good look.

Last edited:

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Maybe only allow a maul to score a try if it is started outside of 15m to the line, if within 15m then a pass must be completed before the try?
Teams will exploit that, make a tiny pass at the start etc. and then if you start saying ‘pass must be longer than 5m’ you get into more intricate rules.

Only way to fix it without adding more complexity is to dumb it down… as in if the maul is stopped once, it’s over.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think the thing that disappoints me was that the things that let us down are things that have been an issue for 3-4 years - our lineout and discipline. Yes, skill execution deteriorated too - poor Daugunu had a shocker in the second half and some of the catch pass execution & decision making hurt, but the tide really turned when we started giving it up possession and territory through penalities, dropped ball and lost lineouts.

Even Wilson & McReight though have to improve their discipline. Both are prone to offside penalties and both were guilty again last night.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Is this the same???

FB_IMG_1650743113834.jpg

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Tongan Thor ball carrying was really underwhelming. Someone with his pace and skills and sheer physique should be making a lot more of a mess than that
Tupou caught the ball from I think it was first kick off, and put shouder down and tried to run over Wes goosen (who missed jockey school for being too small), and Goosen just tackled in around ankles, seems after that Tupou didn't reall carry with a lot of purpose, though I agree he scrums well.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I would like to add that McDermott made a comment I thought was very telling in aftermatch interview. He said Reds can get away with making mistakes against other Aus teams, and not really against kiwi teams, and that sums it up, if you had a comp where you can bumble through and still win matches, it is never going to improve your rugby, and will refelct in teams at higher level.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I would like to add that McDermott made a comment I thought was very telling in aftermatch interview. He said Reds can get away with making mistakes against other Aus teams, and not really against kiwi teams, and that sums it up, if you had a comp where you can bumble through and still win matches, it is never going to improve your rugby, and will refelct in teams at higher level.
That right there is the problem.

What we should be doing is dismantling super rugby altogether and feeding *all* our top players and coaches to professional playing countries elsewhere.

Last edited:

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Classic GAGR freeze frame there, isolating just what member wants to see. One blokes head hit the turf just after this pic, the others did not. Red vs yellow. Ref Gardner got it right.

Starting to think players almost have a professional obligation to take one for the team and hollywood their head to the turf for a second just to draw the red.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Classic GAGR freeze frame there, isolating just what member wants to see. One blokes head hit the turf just after this pic, the others did not. Red vs yellow. Ref Gardner got it right.

Starting to think players almost have a professional obligation to take one for the team and hollywood their head to the turf for a second just to draw the red.
You know there is this whole profession called stunt men (people) where they train for such. Could be the new assistant coaching position after skills ;)

ah-haha-imthefunnycatikill-you-momo-or-not.gif

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Tupou caught the ball from I think it was first kick off, and put shouder down and tried to run over Wes goosen (who missed jockey school for being too small), and Goosen just tackled in around ankles, seems after that Tupou didn't reall carry with a lot of purpose, though I agree he scrums well.
Funny - I thought Tupou had some good carries and put himself in the position to run a few times in mid field when we needed a lift. He had 9 runs for 20 metres and a couple of them were close to the line so not a terrible output. I do think the Canes defenders did a very good job on him though, especially close to the line and he needs to work on not going for that extra effort when he gets tackled short.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
That right there is the problem.

What we should be doing is dismantling super rugby altogether and feeding *all* our top players and coaches to professional playing countries elsewhere.
I agree that is the problem - but I can’t see in any possible way how that is a good solution. We need to get better, no doubt, but what your proposing would kill professional rugby in Australia.

Edit: not to mention dismantle all our current pathways. We may all have different thoughts on how well our pathways are going, but at least there is currently pathways in place.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Plenty comes back to the need for a normal competition draw, not all aus teams than all kiwi teams. Much more opportunity to learn the lessons early, know what the standard is and build through the season, rather than being stunned at the end. Will be interesting to see how it goes next year with the draw hopefully not warped to meet covid border rules.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Having slept on it I'm still bitterly disappointed with the capitulation, but some of the optimism is definitely back. Aside from the lineout most of our problems are solvable, partially through selection - Flook in for Daugunu, Uru/Scott-Young in for Vest and Salakaia-Loto onto the bench, and the rest through attitude - we are capable of being much more controlled and accurate than we were. Lineout remains the biggest problem, though Uru should help there if he's fit. Creighton has some way to go at 10, but there were promising signs early so hopefully he's learning his lessons from how the match unfolded.

We beat the Chiefs last year after a horror loss against the Crusaders the week before, and this years Chiefs don't look to be up to the level they were then. There's every chance I'm crazy but I'm looking forward to Suncorp next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.