• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balmain Subbies

Alfred Walker (16)
My Top 5 AAGPS Premiers teams in the past decade - mostly based on the teams I enjoyed watching:

1. 2014 Scots, as previously mentioned undefeated over 10 games, line break city, remember watching them tear apart Riverview (to my demise), a lot league boys in the team meant for some crazy offloads.
Notable Players: Angus Crichton (Roosters/Kangaroo), Guy Porter (Leicester Tigers/ 4 England Caps), Toby Rudolph (Sharks)

2. 2020 Kings, Dominant, Strong, Quick, boy where they good.
Notable Players: Will Penisini (Eels/Tonga International), Teddy Wilson (Waratahs/U20 Wallabies), Sua'ali'i’i (Roosters/Waratahs/Samoa International)

3. 2018 Joeys, A very underrated team in this list, whilst they may not have the notable players, they clicked like no team I have seen do before. There precision in every game was second to none, there ability to stay in a game, claw there way back (against Riverview and Scots), astonishing. Such an aggressive but poised team. They have set a Joeys mentality precedent for years to come.

4. 2022 Joeys, This team will be talked about for years to come, and will only age better and better, very similar to 2018 Joeys, they clicked, and with arguably the best schoolboy player in the last 10 years at their helm in Max Jorgensen, they were unplayable (or may just be some recency bias) . Max (Waratahs/Wallabies), Hiwi Sharples, Jack Barrett (U20 Wallabies), Ronan Leahy (U20 Wallabies), Joey Fowler (U20 Wallabies) - an all-star lineup, who all have potential to be special future Super Rugby players and even Wallabies.

5. 2015 NC, Remember watching this team and thinking, gee that Cameron Murray is good, whilst he did carry the team slightly, very fast and hard carrying, took them to the title.
Notable Players: Cam Murray (Rabbitohs/Australia), Bailey Simonsson (Eels), Bailey Kuenzle (Stud at the Brumbies - Currently Force)

*Honourable Mention

2021 Riverview - A deadly 9/10/12 combo. Dan Nelson (U20 Wallabies/G1 Syd Uni), Jack Bowen (U20 Wallabies/Waratahs/G1 Easts), Henry O'Donnell (U20 Wallabies/G1 Norths) - All of which are in Waratahs Academy.

Any discourse will be great, tell me what you would change.
Great wrap up but let's not forget Scots 2013, Kellaway, Horwitz and Critchon's first year. I think New had a few internationals as well. Also Scots 17 had Harris & Brial

pilldistributor

Bob McCowan (2)
Shore Boys seem pumped for the big weekend! Hill is going to be filled for sure.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 239

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Haven’t seen Massey all year is he injured? With also watching Ghattas he is not a hooker at all, saw their line outs against Newington and it was hopeless. Seems to be a better runner or the ball then set peice player.

Distributor
Massey, Prior and Gough are all injured. Ghattas is a hooker, his throwing is normally pretty good but I didn't watch the New game. Was the problem the targets more than the thrower? Kynan Hart should be on the radar as well, currently playing 2's.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Great wrap up but let's not forget Scots 2013, Kellaway, Horwitz and Critchon's first year. I think New had a few internationals as well. Also Scots 17 had Harris & Brial
I coached Horwitz in the Prep twice. The better player in the Prep 1st was PJ Beran who played NSW. David just missed out. Good days.

2 + 2

Allen Oxlade (6)
The Kings team about 2000 was pretty strong too and would be a worthy mention with the likes of Caldwell, Mumm, Hilgendorf to name a few. I'm sure someone with a stronger TKS connection than me with rattle off a few more.
Moving across to CAS the Waverley team of 1999 were STACKED.... Morgan Turinui, Patrick Phibss, Stephen Hoiles, the late Shawn Mackay, Tim McGann (stellar career in Ireland) Morgan Sigg (played pro in Italy, France & South Africa) they still couldnt win the premiership.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
@Joker why are you boycotting the game? wouldn't pick you to miss such a big game

SG37
I have explained earlier in this thread.

But to add

Last year I attended the match with friends and family. While the game was stellar the crowd was something else. I have been coming to school rugby games since 1975. In those early years my dad and I would sit near some old boy groups and enjoy the banter. There were times when someone overstepped the mark and was quickly reminded by classmates, “we are at a school match” due to the venue

In 2022 I sat in the stands in my usual position (old timers know where to find me) and I was soon surrounded by a couple of school groups, one including one of my sons. The game started as usual with year groups bantering with others and the players in the dead ball area. But as the afternoon progressed the language and mood turned for the worse. My wife was horrified when some old boys started racially abusing players. Players coped an astounding amount of filth. This would never be acceptable at a school venue.

Why?

The venue dictates the behavior. Even if there are old boys in attendance, if a school does it’s job then there are no issues. View in 2018 failed to provide adequate security (3 only??) and hence the day was marred by old boy pitch invasions. But put these young old boys in a venue that has no historical expectations to behave appropriately then you will get that what you paid for. A thuggish disgusting mob which is not what the two schools stand for. .

Holding games at professional venues that do not have an expectation of behavior sullies it for all.

good luck to both teams

4E18BE04-099D-4E7A-B3C1-48255EC4DCDE.jpeg

Th

Last edited:

Ace Ventura

Ted Fahey (11)
And others who I know who were at Joeys, have sent their sons to other AAGPS schools.

Little known fact but it was a prominent View family that accidently funded the building of the Joeys Gulag. Humphrey Oxenham a wealthy businessman living at Randwick in an impressive abode overlooking the racecourse, had many successful racehorses over the years, including Melbourne Cup winners. He also won the 1886 Sydney Cup and donated 15,000 pounds to his local Randwick parish (Stairway to Heaven etc).. And it was being run by the Marist brothers, they diverted the donation to the building of the Gulag. As an acknowledgment to Mr Oxenham's generosity, the school took on the families "silks" colours and name of the 1886 Cup winner which was... drum roll please... "Cerise & Blue" aka Pink & Blue.. Just Jokering INP... but also, not.

Needless to say, all the Oxenhams from Humphrey's sons - to the current generation have all attended Riverview.

well done TG - the history of the choice of Cerise & Blue has always had a bit of doubt about it, with many theories being offered, most related to horse-racing colours. In 1981, Br Michael Naughtin wrote his impressive history of Joeys called "A Century of Striving", and on p134 it said:

C&B p134.jpg

on this basis, I'm inclined to believe your claim since there doesn't appear to be a plausible alternative.

GPSlads

Chris McKivat (8)
I have explained earlier in this thread.

But to add

Last year I attended the match with friends and family. While the game was stellar the crowd was something else. I have been coming to school rugby games since 1975. In those early years my dad and I would sit near some old boy groups and enjoy the banter. There were times when someone overstepped the mark and was quickly reminded by classmates, “we are at a school match” due to the venue

In 2022 I sat in the stands in my usual position (old timers know where to find me) and I was soon surrounded by a couple of school groups, one including one of my sons. The game started as usual with year groups bantering with others and the players in the dead ball area. But as the afternoon progressed the language and mood turned for the worse. My wife was horrified when some View old boy started racially abusing the Joeys half back. Max J coped an astounding amount of filth. This would never be acceptable at a school venue.

Why?

The venue dictates the behavior. Even if there are old boys in attendance, if a school does it’s job then there are no issues. View in 2018 failed to provide adequate security (3 only??) and hence the day was marred by old boy pitch invasions. But put these young old boys in a venue that has no historical expectations to behave appropriately then you will get that what you paid for. A thuggish disgusting mob which is not what the two schools stand for. .

Holding games at professional venues that do not have an expectation of behavior sullies it for all.

good luck to both teams

View attachment 16280
Mate, I’ve been to PLENTY of these games and seen just as much if not more bad behaviour at the schools than at the stadium - for old boys that literally is the “ historical expectation”

it’s the reason view moved the game away from the school to begin with

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Do you think a combined grammar / high side could compete in the Ist comp ??
No, Grammar rugby is significantly stronger than High rugby at the moment. A combined team wouldn’t look that different to the Grammar team. The Grammar 1sts are basically the equivalent of the Joeys 3rds in a year where Joeys 1sts aren’t a standout team. A combined team would be cannon fodder for the Tier 1 GPS schools. I don’t think that Grammar or High have any aspiration to compete at that level again. There are only 8 rugby teams at Grammar from 1200 boys (only the 14s have 2 teams). I assume High has even less than 8 teams. The school would have to change direction to want to be a Top Tier rugby school. I just can’t see it ever happening.

TheMaulester

Herbert Moran (7)
Mate, I’ve been to PLENTY of these games and seen just as much if not more bad behaviour at the schools than at the stadium - for old boys that literally is the “ historical expectation”

it’s the reason view moved the game away from the school to begin with
Honestly I've noticed it as well. I've been going to games since I finished up school years ago and recently multiple times I have been to games and I've heard rude and fowl language coming from some of the boys. The only school with any sort of respect is SHORE.

Regards,
The Maulester

SCRUMpscous

Frank Row (1)
Honestly I've noticed it as well. I've been going to games since I finished up school years ago and recently multiple times I have been to games and I've heard rude and fowl language coming from some of the boys. The only school with any sort of respect is SHORE.

Regards,
The Maulester
Couldn't agree more... However, I remember back in my prime time when we would pack in the mauls (@TheMaulester ;)), however the language from the opposing crowd was highly offensive, I'm sure they're just in their fun stage or whatever nonsense but the SHORE crowd is such a delight too my ears.

Scrum Out

TheMaulester

Herbert Moran (7)
Couldn't agree more... However, I remember back in my prime time when we would pack in the mauls (@TheMaulester ;)), however the language from the opposing crowd was highly offensive, I'm sure they're just in their fun stage or whatever nonsense but the SHORE crowd is such a delight too my ears.

Scrum Out
They seem to have the perfect mix to "g" the boys up and be polite at the same time. Its quite a relieve to see one school still has manners:D

Status
Not open for further replies.