• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

donj

Allen Oxlade (6)
Interesting commentary on this yrs Joeys 16's..They have been the standout team in this age group all the way..although have lost to both Kings and Augustines in trials. I think there are 6 or so yr 11 boys in that team, so the issue for them will be when they hit yr 12 and those boys arent there. I dont know much about the year below how they are travelling but, they will not be the same team in yr 12..Joeys with Deegan have shown they will promote outside of 16's when there is a need and the talent is there.so I'm not sure whether Joeys opens are incredibly strong, or the school doesn't see these 16's quite in the same super star status that some of the scribes do here?? None the less they are the bench mark in GPS 16's..really looking forward to seeing how Scots 16's shape up this year..they have shopped pretty well in the off season so will be a different side..although will miss Porter as he is in the opens
, isn't he?

donj

Allen Oxlade (6)
Credit where it is due kings 16s dominated joeys. Forwards outplayed joeys half back very ordinary. Well done kings this will be a very competitive year.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
26-17 SJC over Kings
Both sides coaches wouldn't have been overly impressed as the game never reached any great heights...lots of dropped ball from both sides..Joeys 3 Sandell and the 8 Hanigan and backs Pat Curtain 9 and Kurtis Bennet 13 looked very good..On the Kings side Burke 2 McCalman 7 ( kept them close) and the Kings 12 Will Davies al had strong games..Joeys better at the break down and took their chances...Kings had plenty of opportunity but couldn't convert pressure to points.. Both sides will need to improve quite a bit to be consistent winners this season..

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
I understand that the Newington trials in Orange will be a "three cornered" affair involving both Kinross and Stannies! Should be a great days rugby for all 3 schools and I for one will be sorry to miss it! :(

Let's hope "Scoop" GPSrow can get the good oil and some match reports!

Cheers, Wreckless :)

C'mon Scoop! How'd it go in Orange today? Looking forward to some in depth analysis through the games! New vs. Kinross in 1st's and New 2nd's vs. Stannies 1st's - any results?

Cheers, Wreckless :)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Trial game - SJC 26 — Kings 17

That was a fair reflection of the merits of the teams: Kings had more possession and territory - or so it seemed - but Joeys knew what to do better with what they had, especially in the first half.

Both teams were rusty and unimpressive at times but now and then Joeys showed a bit of X-factor, especially when the wingers got the ball.

There were some good contests over the ball but some dreadful passes also - or good passes got dropped. Many of Kings' promising movements died for this reason.

For Joeys O'Shea played flyhalf - with Deegan at inside centre playing a "second-five" role. I'm not convinced that it's the way to go but one game is a small sample.

Kings need to be a lot sharper in every thing they do.

Joeys have to capitalise on what their blue heeler backrowers are doing. Actually, most of their forwards played like backrowers. Nothing new there.

2nds SJC 41-7
3rds SJC 41-13
16A's TKS 27-14

I spoke to one of the SJC U/16 lads. He said Kings were excellent. His Joeys' team hadn't lost many games since U/13s but Kings had a "lot of" new boys he hadn't seen before.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Really wasn't much separating kings and joeys. Kings probably unfairly denied a try. Joeys half back I gather is one of joeys best rated rowers, and didn't do too much wrong. If he is in a battle for that spot, would be tough call ... Guessing.

Joeys really are great at the breakdown and play the most exciting brand of rugby ... yes real x factor. And love their running from 22. Although may have to rethink that against other teams, and once comp starts.

Joeys crowd all a bit stunned by result in 16as. Just shows don't want to be top dog.Surprised if kings been shopping talent. Oh well if joeys surprised by new faces, wait til they see scots.

If I am understanding correctly joeys and kings will face off 3 times this year. Bit much, I reckon.

prefer to see joeys play a few more stronger non gps schools. Barker. waverley, st augustines.

Anyway think based on what I have seen joeys is going to do a good job of playing above their weight, in 2013

but newington (with league stars on deck) should be slight favourites.

think it is going to be a great year for gps rugby ... With lots of close tussles. So depth might end up being the deciding factor, and physios will do a roaring trade

And think river view v newington will be match of the round ... In week 1

Colin Windon

Herbert Moran (7)
Well played Joeys all day. Lot to be excited about. Just for clarification Kings 16As had only one "new" boy out there and won the same trial last year. Joeys returned serve in the competition proper. Looking forward to a competitive year.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
True. Melrose played for Parramatta in their 1977 premiership and went on to captain the 1977/78 Schoolboys. The Ella brothers from that team went on to play first grade for Randwick in 1978
But I think Melrose played his first test in 78 - Auckland: so he trumped Mark Ella

Footy Writer

Bob McCowan (2)
New got up 48-5 against Kinross. It looked like it was going to blow out to a cricket score but the boys from the West showed some fight, making New look ordinary at times. 2nds were impressive getting up against Stannies 1s. Newington vs Riverview is shaping up to be a cracker.

Side note: any news on the shore fixture?

Status
Not open for further replies.