• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW CAS Rugby 2021

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Well gents, wonders never cease. 3 Waverley coaches and no wonder the numbers. Shame to see that only 13/15 of them being picked, hopefully Cranbrook can have some more 1st representatives in the coming years. makes me wonder sometimes what is said at this meetings. On another note, I hope Slack Smith will be able to get himself to Knox main come to the game considering his impending CTE.

Really dumb comment Informant, the selectors were NOT the Waves coaches, and in fact, I spoke to a Rep coach today, and he said that there were murmurs behind the scenes about many selections, most of which were NOT Waverley boys.
So please don't make such comments without knowing what has been going on.

I might also point out to you that whilst the Waves did get a higher number than I thought in the 1s, but only 1 or 2, it is the only team undefeated across the CAS and GPS. SO the comment "wonders never cease" looks pretty dopey.

I have already made it clear that at least 1 Cranbrook boy (15) was obviously overlooked, but don't forget he came from Waverley over 6 years, we trained him, now you have him.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Not having a shot at you - genuinely interested to see what you would have done differently. I think a place probably could have been found for Flanagan. I'd maybe have pushed Dimovitch into the centre and omitted the Knox centre, which would have made room. White's selection doesn't trouble me: he's been playing very well, and has 8 tries in 8 games this season. Someone was always going to be unlucky in the front row but I would have had Smith and Obaseki higher than the bench in Seconds. And it seems odd that Finau can be left out of Barker's 1sts yet still make CAS 2nds.

Snort, I struggle to comment on individual boys, unless I am giving them a well deserved wrap, for obvious reasons.
I agree with all your positional suggestions above, how you move boys out of their real spots is stupid IMO, Flanagan not making it is a political joke, full stop. I haven't seen Trinity play as yet, but from all reports Kid was the man.

Let's move on, but seriously, politics has played a big part here, as always.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Fuck me, a bit too close to my suggestions that they should just pick the whole Waverly squad in the 1sts
8 Waverley
3 Barker
3 Knox
1 Trinity

Nice they gave some participation spots to Cranbrook and Alo's in the seconds

Also didn't realise there was such a large Islander population in the Eastern Suburbs and feel sorry for the 2 Waverley kids that didn't make it in any of the squads

Flav, you are normally much smarter than this comment.
I agree, I thought the Waves would get 6 maybe 7, Barker 1 or 2 more, and Knox 1 (and he didn't make it).
The selectors were NOT Waves people, at all, full stop.

Please don't start having a go about boys in teams eg Islanders/Ring ins. Our whole team has been together for years, and everyone knows, careful throwing stones!

Grimey

Banned
Throwing in my 2 cents like everyone else..

CAS Predicted Lineup:

1. Medley (C)/ Dion (B)
2. Nosa (C)
3. Preketis (W)
4. Hayman (C)
5. Ned (A)
6. ?
7. Elder (W)
8. Slack-Smith (B)/ Hill (A)
9. Constable (K)
10. Duncan (A)/ Torrance (C)
11. ?
12. Brutan (A)
13. Wood (A)
14. Morris (C)
15. Santmaria (W)

3/15 not bad.

ZHC

Peter Burge (5)
Wow. Being a Waverley parent, I can't fathom some of our selections. Eight Waverley selections! OTT

I'm in sync with WLF, the youngster he is ;)
- Ethan Flanagan, is an absolute gun, should have been the CAS fullback, no question. Has been a genius for many years, first in rugby league and now in rugby union. So much natural talent, that the rest have to do try and keep up. Speak to his peers!
- Barker deserved higher representative numbers. Three is a joke. More incentive for them to stuff it to the selectors come D-day on 17th July.
- Reeve Smith missing out on 1sts and 2nds is also a joke.

THP3

Bob McCowan (2)
Wow. Being a Waverley parent, I can't fathom some of our selections. Eight Waverley selections! OTT

I'm in sync with WLF, the youngster he is ;)
- Ethan Flanagan, is an absolute gun, should have been the CAS fullback, no question. Has been a genius for many years, first in rugby league and now in rugby union. So much natural talent, that the rest have to do try and keep up. Speak to his peers!
- Barker deserved higher representative numbers. Three is a joke. More incentive for them to stuff it to the selectors come D-day on 17th July.
- Reeve Smith missing out on 1sts and 2nds is also a joke.
Please Gents,
these guys are all young and are doing their absolute best to be selected, producing some fantastic rugby. They are only boys now and next few years will as have always done will produce our finest. The fact I love about it all is at the end of every game our boys still spend more time thanking and being around their opponents than their parents. Long live rugby!!!
Well done to all the boys selected and smash GPS apart.

axel

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Please Gents,
these guys are all young and are doing their absolute best to be selected, producing some fantastic rugby. They are only boys now and next few years will as have always done will produce our finest. The fact I love about it all is at the end of every game our boys still spend more time thanking and being around their opponents than their parents. Long live rugby!!!
Well done to all the boys selected and smash GPS apart.
Agreed THP3……….well done to all the boys selected through the grades. My biggest disappointment is Rod backing up the the Barker team clearing a boy who was clearly concussed. The fact that Barker, after all the new boys miraculously making the 1st XV, will permit a boy given a blue card to play 7 days later…………..is completely opposite to what Rod preaches about Barker. Mate, he shouldn’t be playing……………simple.

bring back rucking

Fred Wood (13)
Jarrah McLeod is a surprise omission for me. Was relatively quiet against Waverley but dominant in every other game he has played this year. Seems odd that he’s not even listed in the shadow team. He can influence a game like few others

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Agreed THP3……….well done to all the boys selected through the grades. My biggest disappointment is Rod backing up the the Barker team clearing a boy who was clearly concussed. The fact that Barker, after all the new boys miraculously making the 1st XV, will permit a boy given a blue card to play 7 days later…………..is completely opposite to what Rod preaches about Barker. Mate, he shouldn’t be playing……………simple.

The Barker team did not clear NSS to play. Independent qualified medical practitioners did. Fully compliant with ARU guidelines. Lets move on.
Its pretty quite on the GPS chat regarding their selections. Other than Bowen not being in the firsts it seems the selections are unsurprising.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Anyone know where all this goes this year?

There are NSW trials scheduled for mid-June, I think, but the Schools Rugby Union has announced that the usual State championships won't be played for Covid reasons and something yet to be announced will take its place. Anyone know what that something else is?

T

timmymont23

The Barker team did not clear NSS to play. Independent qualified medical practitioners did. Fully compliant with ARU guidelines. Lets move on.
Its pretty quite on the GPS chat regarding their selections. Other than Bowen not being in the firsts it seems the selections are unsurprising.

Theres alot wrong with gps teams its insane.

Overtime

Herbert Moran (7)
Respect to Alos for giving it a go and smart move to call time as they were running out of reserves. However poor form to note the year of commencement of the Alos team in the program, if they have an issue its not really the place to raise it.

Then on the final page of the program they talk about their Bursary program which they state is not to win trophies, premierships or boost ATAR's but seeing they require students to be assessed on academic potential doesn't add up. (Note I am an Aloys old boy and many in my year don't like the academic focus the school is heading in, as most of our diverse year would not qualify today)

View attachment 12360 .

Respect your opinion Flavio and perhaps it was not the right place to raise the issue and I don't necessarily like the academic focus the school is taking either. I was not at the game, however, this is what the parent of an Aloys year 6 boy wrote on Facebook regarding what his son told him about the game that his son watched, 'the blue and gold army cheered every tackle the 1st XV made and every scrum won. The other team just cheered when points were scored'. The parent went onto say he and his mates had a great time supporting the 1st XV. That's what school pride is about!

Personally, I was against having a tiered rugby system given the wonderful tradition and history of the CAS in all sports. I think now that for the sake of injuries it is sensible. Honestly, I actually thought the criticism of certain schools was not warranted, but until I saw that program you posted I now think otherwise. I don't like the way things seem to be headed in Rugby in the CAS and I back Aloys 100%. People who went to the game may disagree with what the year 6 boy said and they can put on this site what they like. I recon though the year 6 boy is not far wrong.

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
Respect your opinion Flavio and perhaps it was not the right place to raise the issue and I don't necessarily like the academic focus the school is taking either. I was not at the game, however, this is what the parent of an Aloys year 6 boy wrote on Facebook regarding what his son told him about the game that his son watched, 'the blue and gold army cheered every tackle the 1st XV made and every scrum won. The other team just cheered when points were scored'. The parent went onto say he and his mates had a great time supporting the 1st XV. That's what school pride is about!

Personally, I was against having a tiered rugby system given the wonderful tradition and history of the CAS in all sports. I think now that for the sake of injuries it is sensible. Honestly, I actually thought the criticism of certain schools was not warranted, but until I saw that program you posted I now think otherwise. I don't like the way things seem to be headed in Rugby in the CAS and I back Aloys 100%. People who went to the game may disagree with what the year 6 boy said and they can put on this site what they like. I recon though the year 6 boy is not far wrong.

Having been at many schoolboy matches over the years, including this year, that is simply not correct. Cheering happens all the time, big tackles, breaks, defending the line, scrums and points. Sounds a bit like selective hearing for me.

Jonte

Bob McCowan (2)
Flav, you are normally much smarter than this comment.
I agree, I thought the Waves would get 6 maybe 7, Barker 1 or 2 more, and Knox 1 (and he didn't make it).
The selectors were NOT Waves people, at all, full stop.

Please don't start having a go about boys in teams eg Islanders/Ring ins. Our whole team has been together for years, and everyone knows, careful throwing stones!

Flavio Waverley has two E's

Flavio

Ward Prentice (10)
I was not at the game, however, this is what the parent of an Aloys year 6 boy wrote on Facebook regarding what his son told him about the game that his son watched, 'the blue and gold army cheered every tackle the 1st XV made and every scrum won. The other team just cheered when points were scored'. The parent went onto say he and his mates had a great time supporting the 1st XV. That's what school pride is about!

I recon though the year 6 boy is not far wrong.

I was there and he is well off the mark, both sides cheered the whole game such that the Barker cheerleader was on the verge of losing his voice.