• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I would think a decent young hooker, THP and a few pacy young outside backs would be more needed.

Between JOC (James O'Connor), Beale & Hilgendorf you have 10 well covered.

Agree on the call with the forwards/outside backs. Disagree with the flyhalf.

Hilgendorf is a quality bench player based on his experiance, neither Beale or JOC (James O'Connor) are primary 10s. Whilst you're right in saying we have 10 well covered, I still think we need a 10 that everybody unquestionably considers a 10.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Hugh Roach?

Maybe as an EPS option.

The Rebels SHOULD, in my opinion, go for:
  • Siliva Silva as a full contracted player presuming either Frier or Ged goes. He is a great developing player and true blue Victorian. They should keep Holmes in that EPS spot, he does well.
  • Paddy Ryan (presuming he is uncontracted) as he has a bucket of potential, is a genuine hard head, and has the links to D.Hill.
  • The Jenkins twins, Ed and Jono, who mightn't set the world alight but are the perfect age to really dig into a Super rugby career (we need gas out wide and a genuine 7). Plus the D.Hill link.
  • Tusi Pisi, who with the rise of Broden Barret at the 'Canes is sundry to requirements. He'd light up our team with our combination or good line runners and dynamic attackers.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Agree on the call with the forwards/outside backs. Disagree with the flyhalf.

Hilgendorf is a quality bench player based on his experiance, neither Beale or JOC (James O'Connor) are primary 10s. Whilst you're right in saying we have 10 well covered, I still think we need a 10 that everybody unquestionably considers a 10.

Beale is a 10, JOC (James O'Connor) wants to be a 10

No surprise to me that Beale is a trump at No.10

May 17, 2012
ipad-art-wide-B19-20Beale-20ld-420x0.jpg

Given a go … Rebels five-eighth Kurtley Beale. Photo: Getty Images
It's always interesting to note what the perception is and what is written in the public domain. More often than not there is such haste and enthusiasm to announce the next big thing that sometimes it's missed that it has been staring them in the face for some time.

In the past 10 days one of the bigger stories has been around the revelation that is Kurtley Beale at No.10, while much has also been said of Liam Gill's play for the Queensland Reds. A great deal has been made about both topics but I'm not sure why there has been so much surprise.

Beale is an extremely good player, can read the game well, and best of all, can bring the players around him into the match. For Gill, only a month ago I was being asked about the possibility of signing David Pocock. At the time I rejected the notion as the Reds have a strong belief in what Gill and Beau Robinson bring to the group. Nothing has changed.

This isn't about pushing anyone's agenda for representative honours or otherwise, but more about making a point that amidst all the excitement in the media, more often than not, the answers are right in front of them.

I said it before the Rugby World Cup - if Quade Cooper was injured I would have Beale at five-eighth. They are the same type of player, so you don't need to change much tactically to make it happen.

What's forgotten, though, is that Cooper and Beale are the same age and therefore faced a problem at Australian schoolboy level because, logistically, coaches wanted them on the field at the same time. One of them was always going to end up at fullback.

When I was at the Waratahs, I recall the difficulty of finding a No.10. I went to Beale's manager Glen Ella and, after meeting Beale when he was only 16 while he was in year 11 at St Joseph's, we signed him to the Tahs. This stopped rugby league chasing him as we waited for him to arrive.

He hit the scene in 2007 where he was to be the understudy to Mat Rogers. Rogers left early to league so Beale started at five-eighth for NSW in his first year out of school. It was a tough for him but the talent was clearly there.

The Tahs struggled in 2007 but went to the 2008 final against the Crusaders when Beale was at No.10. The final was in Christchurch and we were leading the Crusaders before an ankle injury forced him from the field with half an hour to go. We ended up losing to Dan Carter's boot but Beale had helped create two tries to the Crusaders' one. The evidence was always there that Beale would be very useful in the key playmaking role. I subscribe to the theory that the best ball players need to touch the ball the most, so it's good to see the Rebels giving him a go.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/no-surprise-to-me-that-beale-is-a-trump-at-no10-20120516-1yrcl.html#ixzz1v5WdXOEU

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Last year's Australian Schoolboys had a handful of quality props, has anyone signed PAE yet?

Last I heard he was in Perth but you would think there would be a few S15 teams after him now.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Beale is a 10, JOC (James O'Connor) wants to be a 10

Sure, JO'C wants to be a 10 and Beale has had a couple of good games at 10 this year (as well as a decent season in 2008), but they've both played the majority of their best games in the Outside backs.

I've read the articles too but an armchair expert who has a job at a newspaper writing about how Beale should be a 10 means nothing. A couple of years ago when KB (Kurtley Beale) had some break out games at fullback people were writing similar articles but about how he should be a fullback from now on.

I don't think either of them are long term 10 options in Test or Super rugby selectors eyes right now, unless they want something very specific from their gameplan. Though I agree, this may change over the coming month or so.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Harris would be a horrible signing for the rebels. He is a centre and you already have decent centres in JOC (James O'Connor), Inman, Mortlock, Mitchell and Lojo.

Sam Lane, Allan Fa'alavuu, Ben Whittaker, Leroy Houston, Jack Lam (Or Jono Jenkins if you cant get him). Then you'd go after a quality older prop to mentor PAE and a speedy winger/fullback.

Strengthen the pack and add depth in the backs.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Not just armchair critics if Ewen is writing articles about it.

Great news re Higgers.

Exciting time to be a rebels fan :)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Maybe as an EPS option.

The Rebels SHOULD, in my opinion, go for:
  • Siliva Silva as a full contracted player presuming either Frier or Ged goes. He is a great developing player and true blue Victorian. They should keep Holmes in that EPS spot, he does well.
  • Paddy Ryan (presuming he is uncontracted) as he has a bucket of potential, is a genuine hard head, and has the links to D.Hill.
  • The Jenkins twins, Ed and Jono, who mightn't set the world alight but are the perfect age to really dig into a Super rugby career (we need gas out wide and a genuine 7). Plus the D.Hill link.
  • Tusi Pisi, who with the rise of Broden Barret at the 'Canes is sundry to requirements. He'd light up our team with our combination or good line runners and dynamic attackers.

I would think Siliva has another year on his Brumbies contract...

But he's constantly broken...

Novocastrian

Herbert Moran (7)
Sure, JO'C wants to be a 10 and Beale has had a couple of good games at 10 this year (as well as a decent season in 2008), but they've both played the majority of their best games in the Outside backs.

I've read that article too but an armchair expert who has a job at a newspaper writing about how Beale should be a 10 means nothing. A couple of years ago when KB (Kurtley Beale) had some break out games at fullback people were writing similar articles but about how he should be a fullback from now on.

I don't think either of them are long term 10 options in Test or Super rugby selectors eyes right now, unless they want something very specific from their gameplan. Though I agree, this may change over the coming month or so.

Big call to dismiss Link as an armchair expert o_O

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Beale has been best for us at 10 and he's been our best 10 that we've trialled. JOC (James O'Connor) is good, but lacks the direction and possibly confidence that beale has in that playmaking role. JOC (James O'Connor) excelled on the wings and is a very capable 10 with a great boot and electric pace. I think if you weigh it up, his pace, his kicking ability, his foot work - to me he's best suited to 15. I am again, utterly unconvinced of him at 12, not that he's horrible...just that he's much better in other positions.

translate this up to the wallabies and I am not sure how Quade fits in. if he plays well in the coming weeks, you'd have to think he'll slot into 10 for the wallabies...then where does that leave JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale? alternatively - cooper's lack of versatility could be his undoing - he was hopeless under the high ball at the world cup - if he could fix that and tackle at the back line like kurtely though, he could become a pretty quality 15 himself.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
PAE is out injured and should be good to make a comeback through club rugby in the next couple of months. I seem to recall being told June but can't remember for sure.

D

daz

Delve is the key right now. He leads by deed, others follow. It has been ever thus.

Higgers might just work as a replacement, but is this a real possibility or just normal gossip?

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
If true, higgers is as good as a replacement that we could get out of available australian stock.
that means for internationals next season we will have Ged, King (might be NZ qualified already), Chamberlain? Lipman (if he stays) and.........? I think that is it.

I am comfortabe with our lock stocks next year (pyle, neville, jones, possibly campbell, king (haven't seen him play though) davidson and even chamberlain.
our back row - very comfortable with our 6 stocks and 8 (chamberlain, davidson and higginbotham) we need a player who can play 7 as at the moment we only really have saffy and chamberlain.

next year we need one back row and one prop and possibly a hooker. though i suppose when weeks is back we'll be in ok shape...however, henderson is 32 so getting on a tad. you'd give him a couple more years max.

backs - we'll need a wing and a centre - probably a 13 in the event inman gets injured again. mortlock probably gone and that would just leave inman, LoJo, and Mitchell (better at 12 and wing though

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Lipman may be worth holding onto another year, but it will depend on what young Aus opensides are available to the Rebels.

Alcock, Jenkins, McCutcheon are probably all worth consideration, if any are available. If not, get another year out of Lipman and Saffy, who is still going OK, and try again the following year to nab another openside.

The weakness is still the pack next year, but with Higgers and the improvement shown by the locks, it's starting to look a bit better. They're still short one or two really top class forwards, though, especially if you want to be in the finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.