• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Chris Lynn played Cricket and League for QLD as a junior and one of the current Broncos was in the same Cricket and League junior team.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Here's a breakdown of the current squad and where they were born, i found it interesting although not really relevant:

QLD-13
NSW- 9
NZ - 9
Samoa- 2
Fiji - 2
VIC - 1
PNG - 1
Tonga - 1
Japan - 1

So applying simple maths, one-third of the player are local born, or conversely, two-thirds are foreigners.
I wonder how many born Queenslanders there are playing Super 18 elsewhere?

T

TOCC

Depends what you class as foreigner, plenty of those 'foreigners' have been living in Australia or Queensland since a young age.

1 in 20 Queenslanders were born in New Zealand, many of whom fall in the demographic of young families, I think those figures reflect that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
At least over the last decade and I'm pretty sure for longer, Queensland has led Australia for net interstate migration.

Whilst the numbers for Queensland have been dropping, over the last decade, Queensland has averaged a net interstate migration of +18,419 people.

So on that basis, Queensland is the state of Australia with the most people born in other states living there.

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Lookup/3412.0Chapter42011-12 and 2012-13

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think if you have played representative rugby in another country (school, state, regional or national) you should be classed as a foreigner. If you have only played representative ruby in Australia you should be classed as an Australian national.

reds20162016

Frank Nicholson (4)
you haven't seen the website and the squad lately have you "upthereds" . teafu been training since November with them. hes in for a chance to be in the round 1 team.

I think it looks like a good squad. everyone going on about to young but they want to prove to themselves and everyone they have a good chance to do well this year.

I am backing mcintrye as the 10, he keeps getting better and better. I want to see thor play games this season aswell :)

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
you haven't seen the website and the squad lately have you "upthereds" . teafu been training since November with them. hes in for a chance to be in the round 1 team.

I think it looks like a good squad. everyone going on about to young but they want to prove to themselves and everyone they have a good chance to do well this year.

I am backing mcintrye as the 10, he keeps getting better and better. I want to see thor play games this season aswell :)

Think one of my recent posts say that I thought it's awesome Taefu is in there, though was late to see it . Hope he does well. He's a great combo of physicality and distribution.

I agree about round 1 starting! Would have liked to see Hunt in the centres more, with Goromaru brought in to be our goal kicker from FB (not sure if he plays wing), kind of hard though if Hunt is starting Fullback (according to Graham)

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Would have liked to see Hunt in the centres more, with Goromaru brought in to be our goal kicker from FB (not sure if he plays wing), kind of hard though if Hunt is starting Fullback (according to Graham)

This is discombobulating.

T

TOCC

I don't think Goromaru will be starting the first few rounds, he will arrive late in pre-season and then has a language barrier to overcome.

Part of me suspects that Stiles will get more of a say at the section table then in recent years, Stiles is a big fan of Taefu and tried recruiting him to Brisbane City in 2014, but Taefu had already signed with the Rams.

With Brisbane City in 2015, Stiles had Hunt playing in the centres but defending at fullback, when Taefu was eventually fit Stiles promoted Taefu to the centres to partner with Kerevi and had Hunt shifted to fullback.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see a similar lineup for round one with the Reds backline looking similar to that of the Brisbane City backline.

9. Frisby
10. McIntyre
11. Kuridrani
12. Taefu
13. Kerevi
14. CFS
15. Hunt

20. Gale
21. Greene
22. Goromaru/Nabuli

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Stiles had Hunt playing in the centres but defending at fullback, when Taefu was eventually fit Stiles promoted Taefu to the centres to partner with Kerevi and had Hunt shifted to fullback.

Im not sure by what you mean about "the section table". Who exactly is defence coach? No actually I'm not being churlish. I've been asking obvious questions about how this comes together for a while.

Still, your logic is a lot less confusing than the snippets we deal with from the Reds.

I would say that it will all become clear when we see the line up in pre-season and early season... But I'm not sure that helped last year.

The expense of Goromaru is understandable until we hear Hunt moves to FB. OK, let's take a roving brief as you say, protect Hunt in defence. (I'm OK with the concept.) where does Goromaru go? 13? No? Slides to 11? Whole back line shifts?

Discombobulations. Again.

Even more wierd if Stiles is the names being quoted for this (ahem) strategy.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
^^^ ah gotcha.

Give Goromaru time to settle is good. But Im still trying to wrap my head around how it works with either Hunt at FB or defending there. And Hunt hasnt really been cycled off for the bench.

I like having multiple big names in some positions. Excited to see our locks this year (cant wait for Douglas to get past injury). But a big name FB followed by an announcement that one of our most expensive "stars" is shifting to the same slot is odd.

Also, I would have thought FB was a better slot for Hunt last season when he was earlier in his transition... And look to the centres this year.

One of the following two is an idiot. 1. Reds coaching; or 2. Me. Im Happy to accept the guilt in fact would greatly prefer it. But I'm discombobulated for now.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Im not sure by what you mean about "the section table". Who exactly is defence coach? No actually I'm not being churlish. I've been asking obvious questions about how this comes together for a while.

Still, your logic is a lot less confusing than the snippets we deal with from the Reds.

I would say that it will all become clear when we see the line up in pre-season and early season. But I'm not sure that helped last year.

The expense of Goromaru is understandable until we hear Hunt moves to FB. OK, let's take a roving brief as you say, protect Hunt in defence. (I'm OK with the concept.) where does Goromaru go? 13? No? Slides to 11? Whole back line shifts?

Discombobulations. Again.

Even more wierd if Stiles is the names being quoted for this (ahem) strategy.

Hunt needs no protection in defence.

I am quite surprised he hasn't been given the "Conrad Smith" role at the Reds.

He is a cool, smart experienced footballer and a great defender. Stick Kerevi at 12 & Hunt at 13. I reckon you guys will need a calm head out there, especially with a couple of baby 10s that will need nurturing and Kerevi's defending at 13 is distinctly average

T

TOCC

The expense of Goromaru is understandable until we hear Hunt moves to FB. OK, let's take a roving brief as you say, protect Hunt in defence. (I'm OK with the concept.).

It wasn't to 'hide' him in defence rather to take advantage of his skills under the high ball and kicking. In attack he offered a second playmaker by moving into the centres.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It wasn't to 'hide' him in defence rather to take advantage of his skills under the high ball and kicking. In attack he offered a second playmaker by moving into the centres.

Good. Now all we need is to find a rationale for Goromaru.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Reg, this is the thinking I was expecting but not, apparantly, being offered.

He cant kick if he's not on the field. Proven at FB doesnt help if Hunt is in the slot. The marketing opportunity is downplayed if he isnt on the field.

The most obvious resolution is Hunt stays at 13 and Goromaru 15. Its just not what we seem to be hearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.