• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2022

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
Nothing highlights this years regression than the Tahs overtaking the Reds on the table tonight.
End of year review need to be brutal
Pains me to say it, but I think that's being a little bit unfair to the Tahs tbh - they've been playing some good, even great at times, footy.

Reds' EOY review will no doubt be harsh regarding some aspects of play, but it's impossible to not have the horrific run of injuries at the top of the list of influences imo. Whether that's just bad luck, mismanagement, or a bit of both, will of course be looked at in great detail.

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
Pains me to say it, but I think that's being a little bit unfair to the Tahs tbh - they've been playing some good, even great at times, footy.

Reds' EOY review will no doubt be harsh regarding some aspects of play, but it's impossible to not have the horrific run of injuries at the top of the list of influences imo. Whether that's just bad luck, mismanagement, or a bit of both, will of course be looked at in great detail.
Wasn’t at all denigrating the Tahs awesome season. Just comparing their advancement with our slide.

think wallaby selections will highlight just how much damage the season has done to some individuals claims for a gold jersey

Reactions: dru

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
think wallaby selections will highlight just how much damage the season has done to some individuals claims for a gold jersey
Genuinely curious who you're referring to? For mine, anyone that was very strong for a gold jersey still is - Tupou, JOC (James O'Connor), Wilson, McReight, McDermott. Petaia and Campbell (and Paisami, but I don't think he was as much of a chance) are probably the only two whose shine has diminished a bit as the season's gone on, but I think they'll both still be in the mix.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Gonna raise it again but McReight needs to cut the penalties. Doesn't matter how great you are playing if you are giving 3+ penalties away each week you don't make the team

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
Currently I think only Tupou JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) (if fit) and Tate will be anywhere near a game day team.
Agree that they're the obvious lock-ins, but I'll be very surprised if Wilson, McReight, and Petaia in particular don't get game time

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Gonna raise it again but McReight needs to cut the penalties. Doesn't matter how great you are playing if you are giving 3+ penalties away each week you don't make the team
I don't mind him giving away penalties for trying to contest the ball, if it was for foul play, off side or other poor decisions it is an issue. A 7 being penalised is generally because they are involved.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Genuinely curious who you're referring to? For mine, anyone that was very strong for a gold jersey still is - Tupou, JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor), Wilson, McReight, McDermott. Petaia and Campbell (and Paisami, but I don't think he was as much of a chance) are probably the only two whose shine has diminished a bit as the season's gone on, but I think they'll both still be in the mix.
Campbell has been great until he was taken out of position for a few weeks, he seems to be back to some type of form. Equal top try scorer for Aussie teams at the moment too.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Wasn’t at all denigrating the Tahs awesome season. Just comparing their advancement with our slide.

Hard to see why anyone outside of Tate, Petaia and JOC (James O'Connor) in the backs should be given a look in for the Wallabies. Hunter has been injured a lot this year and was quite hot/cold when he did play.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Hard to see why anyone outside of Tate, Petaia and JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) in the backs should be given a look in for the Wallabies. Hunter has been injured a lot this year and was quite hot/cold when he did play.

i think Vunivalu making a push for squad - his form lately (albeit small sample size) shows he is one of the impact players when he steps on the field

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
i think Vunivalu making a push for squad - his form lately (albeit small sample size) shows he is one of the impact players when he steps on the field
Would love to see the Reds actually use his pace a bit. Reds are struggling to create space for him to get moving.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
He might be - he hasn't really excelled.

I'm still mystified at how bad the Reds are at using him as a crash baller. Completely telegraphed and easily handled by the opposition.

Quade may have more luck unleashing Vunivalu than James as QC (Quade Cooper) loved having Digby on his hip

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)

I'm still mystified at how bad the Reds are at using him as a crash baller. Completely telegraphed and easily handled by the opposition.

Quade may have more luck unleashing Vunivalu than James as Quade Cooper loved having Digby on his hip
Totally agree. Having him play that role buys time for the 5/8th. If he gets the ball he’s a handful. if not, the defence is wary of the threat and hang back that split second to make sure.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Quade may have more luck unleashing Vunivalu than James as Quade Cooper loved having Digby on his hip
Interesting thought, but we’re harking back through a time machine there.