• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2022

Super Rugby 2022

• Go Blues

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Go cantabs

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Go other NZ team.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Go Force

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • Go Tahs

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • Go Brumbies

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Go Reds

Votes: 30 31.9%
  • Go Rebs

Votes: 13 13.8%
  • Go new PI teams

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Go any team that plays the cantabs

Votes: 12 12.8%

• Total voters

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Most of the time referees / tournament organisers have publicly concede that a decision was incorrect has been to calm feral media, typically from New Zealand or the UK. The treatment of Wayne Barnes in 2007 comes to mind. Australian teams have had heaps of calls go against them in crucial games over the years, but you'll never hear about refs publicly conceding they got it wrong because our media isn't interested in rugby and doesn't pressure for concessions / public displays of sorrow.

The Crusaders can cry all the way home about 2014 as far as I'm concerned. THey're lucky Rugby AU doesn't have a formal policy of partisan referees - we used to in the amateur era and I reckon we should bring it back

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
It somehow improves the joyful memory of that game, to know that Kiwis are still pissed off about it.
Naa Rob, only crusadist's supporters were upset, rest of us in general shrugged shoulders and went thank f*** someone beat them, even if it was the ref! Let's face it we then got the bonus of Cheika being parachuted into Wallabies job on the back of it! ;) :D

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Goddamnit I was at work...

IMG_1136.GIF

So you didn't inadvertently activate your webcam t'other day so much as give us all an insight into your day job. For free! Thanks for that...

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Naa Rob, only crusadist's supporters were upset, rest of us in general shrugged shoulders and went thank f*** someone beat them, even if it was the ref! Let's face it we then got the bonus of Cheika being parachuted into Wallabies job on the back of it! ;) :D

Some interesting chat & banter in the match thread. Also some hopes & dreams of Bledisloe and/ or RWC glory on the back of the 'tahs triumph...

https://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/c...rs-2014-Super Rugby-grand-final.14561/page-35

Good times.

Last edited:

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
All of NZ moving to the Red traffic light setting at midnight tonight. Similar to the old Level 3 but not quite as restrictive. Gatherings limited to 100 persons whether indoor or outdoor if vaccination passes are being required, 25 if not, so Super Rugby would be able to proceed but without crowds & I'd expect the away team will FIFO on match day. Open-ended atm so not sure if or how it'll affect the TT part of the comp.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Venue for CruSadists v HorrorCanes pre-season match on 12 Feb has been changed from Blenheim to C'church for "logistical reasons", one of which is presumably Blenheim not having a proper airport. Farmlands Cup match v Clan will go ahead in Oamaru on 5 Feb.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Venue for CruSadists v HorrorCanes pre-season match on 12 Feb has been changed from Blenheim to C'church for "logistical reasons", one of which is presumably Blenheim not having a proper airport. Farmlands Cup match v Clan will go ahead in Oamaru on 5 Feb.
Wow. A "proper" airport! Are the Saders getting a little precious nowadays? IIRC , going back about about 5years ago Fred Booth's paddock was good enough. Now the though of getting bit of mud on the all white Adidas trainers....... :rolleyes:

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ HorrorCanes would have to fly into Nelson then bus over to Blenheim which exposes a whole lotta people to unnecessary risk. This way thevfly into C'church & bus straight to the ground. For the Oamaru match I'd imagine both teams will bus in, I don't think the airfield there can handle 50-seat aircraft either.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
^ Agreed. Exposing people in Nelson and Blenheim to those White Adidas is putting a lot of people at unnecessary risk. Most already have a strong adverse reaction to the Saders, they don't need more! Whichever way you cut it, the White Adidas are going straight to the ground, mud risk free, in the interests of public safety. :D

We all get the Clan avoiding airports due to past issues with airport facilities.

Last edited:

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
It's unfortunate we're seeing these issues for the Force, and the whole comp being re-jigged due to the NZ border issue.

Despite what people say, it does devalue the integrity of the Super Rugby Pacific competition to an extent. Supporters, players and coaches from the affected teams have legitimate grounds to moan about preparation.

For me, the elephant in the room is that once the NZ border issue was going to be a problem, they should have reverted back to the split competition and looked at making the post-season SRTT model work for another year, now we have a bastardised version of a new product that no one is really sure will eventuate.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I would prefer an Australian based competition only, due to the issues in WA maybe try to start the season there with a couple of double headers so they get some football if they are granted a bubble by the government that can also be a training camp before moving east for the rest of the season as there would be no quarantine required to move to the east coast.

I want WA to get a few weeks of Rugby at a minimum.

I think all Aussie teams could play each other three times with the odd numbered game in WA.

So an example may be Reds v NSW home and away plus a game in WA against each other as part of a double header. This way there is no advantage of having two games at home and only one away.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Clan v Moana Pasifika set down for Queenstown on 11 Feb has been cancelled (not sure if White Adidas-related). Looking into a closed-door venue instead.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Speaking of Queenstown there's a story on stuff that the NZ franchises are "poised to move to Queenstown bubble to keep season on track". Only direct quote is from the mayor who says he'd be "delighted" & that "the teams would be welcome". Watch this space, I guess.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Speaking of Queenstown there's a story on stuff that the NZ franchises are "poised to move to Queenstown bubble to keep season on track". Only direct quote is from the mayor who says he'd be "delighted" & that "the teams would be welcome". Watch this space, I guess.

I love that ground in queenstown!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ yep, it'll be FIFO/ BIBO unless or until things really turn to shit.

Paywalled story in the Hurld quotes Chris Lendrum extensively so it's definitely a live proposition. Sounds like the scenario they most want to avoid is a player or staff member being declared a close contact at e.g. a supermarket or Cafe which would instantly put the entire team & staff into isolation for 10 days & obviously also impact the team they're due to play that week.

Also have to strike a balance between safeguarding the comp & not keeping players etc away from home for too long. So it'll maybe only be put in place until the Omicron outbreak has peaked & is on the way down which is expected to be mid- to late March.

Tazzmania

Ted Thorn (20)
Western Force to play first two rounds away from home.

Brumbies to host Force in first match with home / away fixture being reveresed

Western Force Website

Fourth round with NSW also switched, third round v Reds TBC