• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
There seems to be general agreement that Paisami is our best 12 AND 13, so the question is, where do we have the next best player. Experience wise it's certainly To'omua at 12, however certainly not with form. The next best form 12 is Simone, however IMO he is well behind both Ikatau and Perese. Meaning, either DR plays it safe and uses To'omua at 12, given he has a young and inexperienced 13, or regard JOC (James O'Connor) at 10 provisding the necessary leadership, play Pausami at 12 and one of Perese or Ikatau at 13 (Don't think there's a lot between them, Ikatau for BR, Perese for KOB:) ).

Perese! How bloody awesome would a 12. Paisami 13. Perese Combo look!

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I dont know his personal circumstances and I know he did originally come to Aus in the hunt for a gold jersey - but at 32, currently injured and unlikely to feature in Rugby Champs - I would love to see USA born Pulu head over there and play for the Eagles at the World Cup. It would have been a shame to see another 1 capper player because the wallabies fielded a B team

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
JB, Wikipedia lists both at 1.8m, Perese 91kg and Ikitau 95kg. Don't know how much confidence we can have in Wikipedia but the heights look about right to me.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
If Perese is small then Ikitau is smaller. Perese is not tall but he his built like the proverbial brick shithouse and has a lot of power.
Yes perese has a lot of upper body strength, I don’t get this small bit with him as he is strong in the tackle (league I suspect helped him develop this side) in offence and courageous in defence in puts his body on the line.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
MT is perfect for 22, he can cover 10 and 12 and brings assuredness and experience in the back end of games. If a rookie centre pairing is not working he can come on early and steady the ship.

My concern with To’omua is he just offers no X factor to influence or change a game as more at this stage the steady and reliable type then the type of player who could turn a game. The only qualifier was he was good for 1.5 wallaby games played last year before injury so this alone justifies a go to see what he can offer at wallaby level irrespective of so so performances with rebels (not bad but nothing spectacular)

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
If Perese is small then Ikitau is smaller. Perese is not tall but he his built like the proverbial brick shithouse and has a lot of power.

Perese, Paisami and Ikitau are all on the smaller side for test centres. Particularly if you are looking for someone to crash ball it.

I'm not sold on 12. Paisami 13. Perese.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
My concern with To’omua is he just offers no X factor to influence or change a game as more at this stage the steady and reliable type then the type of player who could turn a game. The only qualifier was he was good for 1.5 wallaby games played last year before injury so this alone justifies a go to see what he can offer at wallaby level irrespective of so so performances with rebels (not bad but nothing spectacular)

I've always felt To'omua is a better test player than Super player. I may be misremembering however I recall him being very good when he was brought on during the last world cup. He was great last year, I think that will be enough in DR's mind to give him a crack at 12 for the Wobs.

I am also in the Paisami to 12 group. I think he is developing tremendously well. I was at the game on Friday and he appeared to take a lot of the responsibility & leadership JOC (James O'Connor) left behind. Plenty of time as primary ball receiver. With Ikitau, Petaia, Perese and Big T all around we really don't need another outside centre.

In saying this I think Rennie will go for 12. To'omua 13. Paisami

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I think Hodge will feature too. He was having a good chat with Rennie on the sidelines of the Rebels game.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
So Wikipedia has Paisami listed as 172 cm, 90 kg..

But Queensland Reds page says 172 cm, 96 kg.

Which do you think is more accurate?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
So Wikipedia has Paisami listed as 172 cm, 90 kg..

But Queensland Reds page says 172 cm, 96 kg.

Which do you think is more accurate?

Definitely the reds page, his weight hasn't been changed on the wiki since it was first created in 2017

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think Hodge will feature too. He was having a good chat with Rennie on the sidelines of the Rebels game.

ANy word on his progression? With DHP in massive doubt then Hodge would be the perfect bench option in order to cover fullback also.

Potentially midweek fullback but that'll probably go to Maddocks with DHP out.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I did say small but what is most important is force.

If you can be smaller but create greater force then yay! Paisami and Perese have the ability to explode in contact, magnifying force through acceleration, not just of their overall mass but their 'limbs' - just check Perese fends. 6ft7 115 kg locks cant blow people away like that.

Hanigan and Higgingbotham were the same weight and height but clearly Higs was the faster, more explosive and stronger player.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Neither. Then again I was far from sold on Paisami at 12 before last Wallaby season, and he was one of our best in the end.

I'm still picking 12. To'omua and 13. Paisami for the first test though. I just like that balance a bit better, but willing to give Perese a shot either on the wing or on the bench.

Bench I think in that scenario B, too many really good wingers around to take those spots without moving someone else there who hasn't been playing in the spot.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I've always felt To'omua is a better test player than Super player. I may be misremembering however I recall him being very good when he was brought on during the last world cup. He was great last year, I think that will be enough in DR's mind to give him a crack at 12 for the Wobs.

I am also in the Paisami to 12 group. I think he is developing tremendously well. I was at the game on Friday and he appeared to take a lot of the responsibility & leadership JOC (James O'Connor) left behind. Plenty of time as primary ball receiver. With Ikitau, Petaia, Perese and Big T all around we really don't need another outside centre.

In saying this I think Rennie will go for 12. To'omua 13. Paisami
Yeh and I do agree that most recent good performances at wallaby level probably carries more weight so for that reason could see why Rennie would include To’omua and would be justified. I suspect you are right that To’omua starting at 12 is real possibility as thinking about it more he was very good in his 1.5 wallaby games last year and so probably only needs to be so so this season as he has been to justify selection. I actually think this is reasonable as we often equally have players very good at super level who don’t make the grade at test level.