• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2023

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Just looking at Pietsch in that photo, I have to say I think Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase), Pietsch and Jorgensen are as good a back three as any in Super rugby. If only we could get 9 and 10 operating effectively to make use of them.
They've been good and most of their opportunity has come from counterattack situations. Just so stunted between 9-10 right now.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Harrison named at Fullback for Randwick this weekend.

It is getting to a point of the season where it may be worth getting Bowen involved for some forward planning. Hopefully he keeps up the play he been doing for Easts.

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
I would actually like to see both Harrison and Jack Bowen after the bye - even though Donaldson was much better on Saturday.

Gordon can be benched too.
Jack bowen seems to be the future 10 for the waratahs, really hope he gets some game time. Did you seem him on the weekend for easts? He was excellent

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Jack bowen seems to be the future 10 for the waratahs, really hope he gets some game time. Did you seem him on the weekend for easts? He was excellent
Beautiful pass for the match winner. He just looks so slick. Actually reminds me of Horowitz but hopefully has a much stronger pro career.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Harrison named at Fullback for Randwick this weekend.

It is getting to a point of the season where it may be worth getting Bowen involved for some forward planning. Hopefully he keeps up the play he been doing for Easts.
Forward planning give it a rest. Donaldson and Harrison are 23 with Edmed 22. Bowen is and will be a very good player but he is 19. Playing wing or fullback is different at an early age than playing fly-half.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Just looking at Pietsch in that photo, I have to say I think Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase), Pietsch and Jorgensen are as good a back three as any in Super rugby. If only we could get 9 and 10 operating effectively to make use of them.
Don't forget the piggies.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Forward planning give it a rest. Donaldson and Harrison are 23 with Edmed 22. Bowen is and will be a very good player but he is 19. Playing wing or fullback is different at an early age than playing fly-half.
Reckon the Tahs are going to have all 4 in 2/3 years? I don’t think we will.

I don’t expect Bowen to be the starter by the end of the year but no harm in blooding him.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Piggies haven't been all bad considering the number of injuries. Running around without Bell, Vailanu, Holtz, Sinclair, Swinton, Gamble and Gleeson and still pretty much holding their own with the Brumbies pack was a pretty fair effort. Close to parity in the scrums prior to the HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) sin bin, and likewise when he got back when we got to play with 15 men, and dominated the line-outs. Porecki throws well, and Hanigan, Holloway and Seu were all strong there.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Piggies haven't been all bad considering the number of injuries. Running around without Bell, Vailanu, Holtz, Sinclair, Swinton, Gamble and Gleeson and still pretty much holding their own with the Brumbies pack was a pretty fair effort. Close to parity in the scrums prior to the HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes) sin bin, and likewise when he got back when we got to play with 15 men, and dominated the line-outs. Porecki throws well, and Hanigan, Holloway and Seu were all strong there.
Holloway is in phenomenal form and last match was Hoopers best so far this season. Thought Seu and Hanigan were really good too.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
But we (they) need to start making decisions who to retain long-term.
Yeah, but we shouldn't be judging a 19 yo fly-half on their performance at Super Rugby level - it's a rare talent that can cope with Super Rugby at that age (Beale, Jorgensen). You're going to lose some good talent if you discard them because they're not Super Rugby level at 19.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He stands out in Tahs A and Shute Shield level, I'm not sure what more he can do to prove he's ready? 19 is meaningless to me, if he's good enough, he's old enough. Plenty of same age players have done well from the start - given Donaldson and Edmed haven't been playing well it seems time to give him a crack. If he has a dud performance, no big deal he'd got plenty of time to develop.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
He stands out in Tahs A and Shute Shield level, I'm not sure what more he can do to prove he's ready? 19 is meaningless to me, if he's good enough, he's old enough. Plenty of same age players have done well from the start - given Donaldson and Edmed haven't been playing well it seems time to give him a crack. If he has a dud performance, no big deal he'd got plenty of time to develop.
We throw young players into Super Rugby too early too often. It's OK for young talent to debut later than 19. You're talking about assessing who we need to retain at the Tahs - I just don't think there's any point in throwing Bowen into a game or two this season for that purpose. Beside the point that he'd be leap-frogging three other young 10's who are all showing the potential to be quality Super Rugby players, and all need more game time.

Alex Ross (28)
Young prodigy Hadley Tonga locked in long term by RA with the Tahs an eventual destination. Going to be awful crowded in a couple of years, and I say Good!!
Tahs are constantly bashed for having the biggest nursery and underperforming. Good they are holding onto a lot of talent. Hopefully it continues.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Young prodigy Hadley Tonga locked in long term by Rugby Australia with the Tahs an eventual destination. Going to be awful crowded in a couple of years, and I say Good!!
Tahs are constantly bashed for having the biggest nursery and underperforming. Good they are holding onto a lot of talent. Hopefully it continues.
I'd like to see us secure a few more forwards beyond Bell moving forward. We're missed out on a few over the years. One thing the Brumbies have done so well is always having players in their system ready to go when they cycle through their talent.

Loose the Arnolds, Sam Carter... no worries, in come the next generation with the likes of Neville, Frost, Darcy Swain etc.. they shed Joe Powell... no worries, in comes Lonergan. Beyond flyhalf they've always had good depth. Even flyhalf they had some developing options before The Forces return to SuperRugby lead to a bit of a raid with Pasitoa & Kuenzle moving on. That coupled with Hansen's move to Connacht mean't they lost a bit of upcoming talent rather swiftly. Hopefully the Tah's can manage things in terms of who they loose, when.