• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I Dent Cup 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
What is the reasoning behind not wanting a colts team?!!?!? that is what builds the foundation of a good club - where does he expect the schoolboys to go - straight into 1sts/2nds? noway many of them would stick around if they were stuck in 3rds/4ths.
The reasoning is that it is too hard to filed a colts team. I know Wests say they struggle with colts as well. We would lose so many kids out of school to the game if there wasn't a colts competition. You are right, most of them wouldn't be up to 1st and 2nd grade straight out of school and 3rd and 4th grade doesn't interest ost of them.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
If you can't get enough blokes to bench for First grade, regardless of conditions, then I'm sorry, but there are serious cultural problems at your Club.

I don't undestand why reserves have to have played in earlier games during the day.

I've sat on the 2nds bench twice this year without actually getting on the field - I won't bench again cos I just don't have the time or energy to sit there for the whole game especially if it's cold. I would if I was a young fella with not much else to do with the day but usually my wife and kids have come to the game and so they have to wait around for another 90mins or so. It's not worth it.

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
Agree they are a big show this week but favourites for the title is a long stretch Grant. A lot will depend on who becomes available for the finals for all teams. If Royals get Siliva & Carter added to the pack, which is already pretty strong, plus To'omua, then yes, I would have them as near certainties. With Christian & Mowen in the Aus squad, the only additions for Vikings would be Colby & Scott Sio, who admittedly would make a fair difference. The Whites with Coleman alone are at least a 10 point better side but throw in Kuridrani, Leon Power & maybe Nic White & you beat just about anyone. Hell if all those guys were available a Royals/Whites GF would be one for the ages. Wests get Fotu & maybe Kimlin but I think they'd need Mogg to really challenge so his selection in the Aus squad will be critical for them.
Don't think it is a long stretch saying Royals are favourites now!

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I was at the Vikings V Royals game and Vikings never looked comfortable - well maybe in the 1st 30 secs when they scored pretty much from the kick off lol...Big win for Royals - they played fantastic - Vikings really didnt step upto the plate.

Wow Easts again with a big score agaisnt them - struggling in the back end of the season - and the poor season keeps going for the Uni boys...

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
I was at the Vikings V Royals game and Vikings never looked comfortable - well maybe in the 1st 30 secs when they scored pretty much from the kick off lol.Big win for Royals - they played fantastic - Vikings really didnt step upto the plate.

Wow Easts again with a big score agaisnt them - struggling in the back end of the season - and the poor season keeps going for the Uni boys.
While I wasn't at the game I did hear that Tuggeranong didn't seem interested, which is strange, wouldn't think it would be hard to get up for a match on such a big day for their club.
Easts played their grand final against us at QBN about 6 weeks ago, doesn't surprise me that they continue to struggle, although I would of expected more considering they do have some talent there. I do think Uni might have one win in them, hope it isn't against us this weekend.

Rock Lobster

Larry Dwyer (12)
I disagree that Vikings weren't interested or "up" for the game. IMO they looked the better side for large chunks of the game but Royals' tenacity & ability to take their chances kept them in front. At different stages it looked like Vikings were going to run over the top of them but Royals just found a way out of trouble. At 33 all with a bit over 10min to go it could have gone either way but a brilliant solo effort from Tom Cusack, who had a blinder, turned out to be the matchwinner. The kid is a freak & the Brumbies are dead set kidding themselves if he isn't signed to a full time contract for next year.

I'd probably now have Vikings & Royals as equal favourites for the comp but injuries over the next few weeks will be crucial. Royals' depth is pretty thin & the loss of a key player such as a Cusack, Tai or Johnson could be devastating. Still think any one of the top 4 could win it as Vikings are nowhere near as dominant as they have been.

Bugeye

Allen Oxlade (6)
I was at the game also and noticed that Chris Hickey was there, what club is he coaching now?

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Royals' depth is pretty thin & the loss of a key player such as a Cusack, Tai or Johnson could be devastating.

You can definitely see how thin their depth is when you look at how many times Royals have won in 1st grade and lose in every other grade - I think it's three or four times this season.

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
Happy for us at QBN to lock in a top 4 spot on the weekend, especially with a very tough two games to finish with. Will be interesting game between Gungahlin and Wests this weekend to pretty much decide who will get that last spot in the top 4. Sounds like Royals did well to fight their way out and get a win?

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
Spot on, he would offer the squad far more than both of them.
The Brumbies could of done with a bit of spark from Robbie on Saturday, Andrew Smith is not exactly what you call a X-Factor player. And one bit of good work from Rathbone masked that they carried him all finals series.

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
Our first grade team for this weekend is below, looking forward to a tough day in all grades. Wanted to mention Matt Hirst, it will be his 200th first grade appearance tomorrow against Vikings, I think all would agree, quite an effort!
Chris Barbaro
Tom Moulds
Les Makin
Matt Hirst
Leon Power
Ryan Jones
Dan Penca
Tom G Darmody
Alex Rowley
Robbie Coleman
Matt Thorpe
HP Momsen
Altus Momsen
Lachlan Freeth
Sam Windsor

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
Our first grade team for this weekend is below, looking forward to a tough day in all grades. Wanted to mention Matt Hirst, it will be his 200th first grade appearance tomorrow against Vikings, I think all would agree, quite an effort!
Chris Barbaro
Tom Moulds
Les Makin
Matt Hirst
Leon Power
Ryan Jones
Dan Penca
Tom G Darmody
Alex Rowley
Robbie Coleman
Matt Thorpe
HP Momsen
Altus Momsen
Lachlan Freeth
Sam Windsor

Matt Hirst what a legend, massive achievement for a bloke who's leg was snapped in two in front of my eyes at Phillip!

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
excuse my ignorance but why are the 7 clubs in the John I Dent comp? Wouldnt it be easier if there were 8 teams and no bye every week? Was there an 8th team or has the comp grown from 6 to 7? Would love to get down to see a ACT club game at some stage. What are the other comps in the Brumbies catchment area like? Do they breed quality players?

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
excuse my ignorance but why are the 7 clubs in the John I Dent comp? Wouldnt it be easier if there were 8 teams and no bye every week? Was there an 8th team or has the comp grown from 6 to 7? Would love to get down to see a ACT club game at some stage. What are the other comps in the Brumbies catchment area like? Do they breed quality players?

There were 8 teams back in the day, with RMC filling a spot and Uni and Norths being separate teams.

I believe a team from Albury was there to take up a spot for a year or thereabouts but now there are 7 teams.

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
There are not enough quality players to support more than the 7 teams, at the moment 2 of the clubs really struggle for those players anyway. Premier division has 4 grades plus colts, other comps in the area are just bush comps, the better players from there find their way to a premier club. I think you would be surprised at the quality of the John I Dent, the tops teams would be more than competitive in the Shute Shield.

Status
Not open for further replies.