• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2015 Final - Australia v New Zealand, Twickenham, Sunday 1 November, 3:00 AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Weeelllll, maybe. I reckon he gave it earnestly, but I never doubted World Rugby would get him another as soon as he did.
It has become a media stunt, to a degree, but I'm not sure it was planned as one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yeah, he probably didn't notice the 200 cameras and TV crews

Forget that though - can someone remind me why the kid deserved a World Cup winners medal?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Jaysus. Some people are quick to get the tin foil hats on.

If this was a media stunt, then there were so many moving parts in it that it was bound to go all pear shaped.

Can't you accept that humans can be spontaneously nice?

Even a former Loig player who famously walked out on a Mungo contract, converted to Islam, is mates with QC (Quade Cooper), has a bit of an odd player manager, sort of lives in Sydney but plays for NZL, is a part time heavyweight boxer, who switches sporting codes and teams as often as Australia changes Prime Ministers, and now wants to have a lash at adding an Olympic Medal to his collection can still act like a decent fellow at times.

SBW doesn't seem to be a particularly academic fellow or strategic thinker, neither does his player manager. I reckon he would think that Machiavelli is either an Italian sports car or new type of wierdly shaped pasta that he hasn't heard of.

Yes, World Rugby were probably always going to give him a replacement medal. The heavy handed and unreasonable actions of the Security Guard going all Boris Johnson on the kid, who was seemingly about to attack the NZL Heavyweight Boxing champion, embarrassed them into it.

Good on SBW for saying that if it was one of his relatives on the receiving end, he would have had given the Security Bloke a hiding.

So World Rugby did the right thing over the "Pitch Invader". Will they do the right thing about Craig Joubert?

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Monday morning. Disapointment beginning to dissipate. Pride in the team still high. Hopes for the future rising. Worry for Matt Giteau lessening. Respect for NZ still strong. Anticipation for the Cook Cup building quickly.
Rugby - the game they play in heaven.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Quite a bit more than running on a pitch FFS

Who said media stunts need massive forward planning?
Now I understand why the prodigal son's older brother, who did everything right yet sees the fatted calf killed to feast his errant brother's return, got so cranky.
Think of all those young fans who did as expected only to see a pitch invader rewarded.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Not sure if the question has been answered, but why didn't To'omua replace Giteau?

Yes Beale has had a very good tournament and back to some of his running best, but that has been from the back 3 not as a midfielder. At a time when Nonu had been making inroads in the midfield and Carter was playing quite flat, I would've thought a strong defensive player and actual midfielder like To'omua would've been more appropriate.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's an important lesson for Sonny Bill Williams that if you're a famous person, good deeds can be done with no personal sacrifice.

It's also an important lesson for the kid that if you do something that would get an adult arrested and banned from the venue in future, someone will instead give you a medal.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Not sure if the question has been answered, but why didn't To'omua replace Giteau?

Yes Beale has had a very good tournament and back to some of his running best, but that has been from the back 3 not as a midfielder. At a time when Nonu had been making inroads in the midfield and Carter was playing quite flat, I would've thought a strong defensive player and actual midfielder like To'omua would've been more appropriate.

The same thing happened against Argentina when Giteau was replaced.

I guess Cheika felt that Beale was one of his form players and wanted him on the field.

Hard to really question that it was the wrong decision given how well Beale played. He didn't really defend at 12.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
To be honest, I feel a lot of 'what the hell do we do now' this Monday morning. 3 months until Super Rugby ?
& Sydney 7's. Don't forget that our blokes still haven't qualified for the Rio Olympics, and for the real tragics, the NRC Barbarians will be having a go at the NZL Heartland XV in the next week or so.

Club Pre-PreSeasons are about to get underway in earnest, as are the State U20's squads. For those with an eye on RWC2019 and RWC2023 the Junior Gold Squad programme is also underway.

It has been a long season.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
& Sydney 7's. Don't forget that our blokes still haven't qualified for the Rio Olympics, and for the real tragics, the NRC Barbarians will be having a go at the NZL Heartland XV in the next week or so.

Club Pre-PreSeasons are about to get underway in earnest, as are the State U20's squads. For those with an eye on RWC2019 and RWC2023 the Junior Gold Squad programme is also underway.

It has been a long season.

So we can expect continuing news and controversy on the GAGR site during the official off-season. How good is that.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
The same thing happened against Argentina when Giteau was replaced.

I guess Cheika felt that Beale was one of his form players and wanted him on the field.

Hard to really question that it was the wrong decision given how well Beale played. He didn't really defend at 12.

I know Beale dropped back in defence, but to me that was part of the problem. Things just seemed disorganised in the Wallaby defence when the ABs were bending the line in attack.

Colin Windon

Herbert Moran (7)
Monday morning arrives and I feel a sense of pride about our team. NZ were the better side and deserved the win but a 21-17 I thought we could potentially pull off the miracle.

Well played and Rugby is back on the national stage again with an opportunity there to be seized upon.

I heard the ARU advertising on radio this morning so they are onto it and the great Cheika as well as being a excellent coach is worth more PR $ than any slick advertising company could ever concoct. Even the Melbourne media were engaged.

The accessability of the players and coach to the media was great through the tournament and they popped up everywhere to promote the code. I think the coach and team understands the "big picture" of what needs to be done to promote the code in Australia.

Finally in order to get out of my post final funk I replayed the Waratahs 2014 Super Rugby final last night. The NZ win and lose with good grace but there is no doubt that victory is a more enjoyable partner!

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
So I never read the whole story but only saw the headlines - did the ARU gamble and lose $300K on that final?

And if so - are you guys pretty cool with that?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I don't think it's actually about the act of missing things, think pretty much everyone here accepts there's a few errors per game. The problem most people had was the frequency and consistency of these errors. I 100% thought going into the game Owens was the best man for the job but he does have a rather weird habit of missing blatant stuff that happens right in front of his eyes and when a team also gets the rub of the green with 50/50 calls it makes that all the much harder to accept. The kiwis were the best team and should've won regardless but his performance just adds salt to the injury especially after the crap Joubert and the wallabies copped for ONE error that in real time was the very definition of a 50/50 call, Owens won't be under half the scrutiny Joubert received despite multiple dubious calls
That is dangerously close to a victim mentality.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yes and No. $300,000 was spent on insurance covering the required bonuses should they have won the RWC final, which would have been in excess of $3,000,000 on players bonuses alone.

The top ten sides will each get about $12m (I think) from the WR (World Rugby) as their share of the RWC spoils. $300k is a whole lot smaller chunk out of that than $3m would have been. Very good decision by the ARU imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.