• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Rays .. NRC Team Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marlins Tragic

Frank Row (1)
Leichhardt Oval for the Stars, AAMI Park for the Rising, NIB Stadium for the Spirit, Brisbane City will surely play at Ballymore, Canberra will play at the Vikings ground.

That just leaves the Rams and the two country teams, who haven't announced where they're playing yet as far as I know.

Rams are playing out of Parramatta Stadium, not sure about the two country teams.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Rays have confirmed that they will play four home games at Brookvale Oval & also the draw seems to have been released - http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...lay-at-brookvale/story-fngr8iii-1226965359907

Home Games:
  • NSW Country Sept 4, 7:30pm KO
  • Pert Spirit Sept 20, 5:30pm KO
  • GWS Rams Sept 28, 3:00pm KO
  • Brisbane Oct 11, 3:00pm KO
Away Games
  • Melbourne Rising Aug 22, TBA KO
  • Queensland Country Sept 13,TBA KO
  • Uni of Canberra Vikings Oct 4, TBA KO
  • Then the BIG one v the w----rs from Sydney Stars on Oct 19 @ Leichhardt Oval.
Also, team colours look like they will reflect Mac Uni's with a predominantly red jersey, sounds like they will have green & blue added to keep the Rats, Marlins & Highlander fans happy, not likely!

I wonder if any Uni students that play in the 1st XV will get a look in even though they play subbies, thoughts?

reminds me of the story that Geoff Shaw tells about how Toowoomba got to hos their first
ever international rugby match. Scotland were due to tour in the 50s or 60s and QLD Country were put into the schedule with a TBA in the venue. Someone assumed it was Toowoomba, let the local union now and it all happened from there.

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
1st Training (meet and greet really) tonight for the Rays down at Manly oval. All spectators are welcome to attend and watch the session

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
1st Training (meet and greet really) tonight for the Rays down at Manly oval. All spectators are welcome to attend and watch the session

School hols could be great getting some kids down there as well - what time?

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I think it's rather silly that the North Harbour Rays are playing at Brookvale, for a few reasons:

1. They are isolating the only area in which Rugby Union is the most dominant code - the north shore. Like it or not this is one of the few places across the country in which rugby is the foremost sport. It's the north shore crowd that are most likely to turn up and support this competition, not because they are anymore passionate, but simply because sheer weight on numbers relative to other areas.
This is the main mistake they made the first time - they shoved all the north shore teams up into the Central Coast, disabling them from accessing the large crowds that would otherwise have showed up from the north.
I don't deny that the game is big on the beaches, but it certainly is no where near as big as League, nor is it relatively as popular as it is on the north shore.
2. Brookvale is too large a venue for this competition at this stage. I know that it's by no means the biggest - NIB, AAMI, etc. are bigger/more profound, but it just seems too ambitious.
3. A team at Brookvale has to compete with the Sea Eagles in many respects - it's a cultural institution for that franchise, and I am not sure that it's helpful for Rugby to be positioning itself as competing for established league grounds (same applies for Leichardt and Parramatta).
4. Most importantly, there are very little public transport options to Brookvale. Compare this to Chatswood oval which is adjacent to a train line that will bring in the crowds from the north shore train line, and which also services areas all across Sydney. It's also extremely well serviced by buses that come from Bondi, Parramatta, the beaches, etc. Having it at Brookvale will diminish crowd numbers because only those with cars/enough passion to catch 4 buses will turn up. Public transport would enable people from across Sydney to turn up.

Nonetheless, I think I'll make an effort to support the comp. - they need it. I really think this has been rushed by the ARU though - very little marketing, not a lot of preparation etc.

What do people think of the Macquarie Uni partnership? Is it a threat to Gordon's partnership with UTS? I like that the Unis are starting to get involved - it's great for the game - but I've always been of the belief that a separate national varsity competition would be good (in addition to the NRC).

Also, is the quota system between the 4 teams true? E.g. can Warringah be assured to get the same amount of people into the team as, say, Norths? I am very keen to see a team list.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I think it's rather silly that the North Harbour Rays are playing at Brookvale, for a few reasons:

1. They are isolating the only area in which Rugby Union is the most dominant code - the north shore. Like it or not this is one of the few places across the country in which rugby is the foremost sport. It's the north shore crowd that are most likely to turn up and support this competition, not because they are anymore passionate, but simply because sheer weight on numbers relative to other areas.
This is the main mistake they made the first time - they shoved all the north shore teams up into the Central Coast, disabling them from accessing the large crowds that would otherwise have showed up from the north.
I don't deny that the game is big on the beaches, but it certainly is no where near as big as League, nor is it relatively as popular as it is on the north shore.
2. Brookvale is too large a venue for this competition at this stage. I know that it's by no means the biggest - NIB, AAMI, etc. are bigger/more profound, but it just seems too ambitious.
3. A team at Brookvale has to compete with the Sea Eagles in many respects - it's a cultural institution for that franchise, and I am not sure that it's helpful for Rugby to be positioning itself as competing for established league grounds (same applies for Leichardt and Parramatta).
4. Most importantly, there are very little public transport options to Brookvale. Compare this to Chatswood oval which is adjacent to a train line that will bring in the crowds from the north shore train line, and which also services areas all across Sydney. It's also extremely well serviced by buses that come from Bondi, Parramatta, the beaches, etc. Having it at Brookvale will diminish crowd numbers because only those with cars/enough passion to catch 4 buses will turn up. Public transport would enable people from across Sydney to turn up.

Nonetheless, I think I'll make an effort to support the comp. - they need it. I really think this has been rushed by the ARU though - very little marketing, not a lot of preparation etc.

What do people think of the Macquarie Uni partnership? Is it a threat to Gordon's partnership with UTS? I like that the Unis are starting to get involved - it's great for the game - but I've always been of the belief that a separate national varsity competition would be good (in addition to the NRC).

Also, is the quota system between the 4 teams true? E.g. can Warringah be assured to get the same amount of people into the team as, say, Norths? I am very keen to see a team list.

Gods country - does that work ?
You've justified all your points, and stated good fair reasons.
Chatswood, North Sydney, Manly are ovals cricket grounds, Manly has public transport and possibly works just as well as Chatswood.

I do believe that TV viewing would have played part with the reasoning, and also corporate packages maybe more appealing at Brookie than the 4 club ovals. Of each team.

There have been good crowds at Brookie so transport and parking can't be to bad.

I would have got down to Manly oval this evening but customers came first, hoping someone can provide same names shortly.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
There have been good crowds at Brookie so transport and parking can't be to bad.

The bus options aren't that good around there. You've really gotta drive into Manly if you're coming from outside the Northern Beaches (even from North Sydney or Chatswood).

I think the Rays should have organised to play one or 2 matches at North Sydney Oval. The Thursday night match at least as it's so much more convenient for workers (super convenient for anyone working in Chatswood, St Leonards, North Sydney or the CBD).

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
Also the groundskeepers wouldn't too happy with rugby players running across their cricket pitches.

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
As a point of reference, it would take me at least 1 hour and 3 minutes to get to Brookvale via public transport, and I live in an area very well serviced by transport, especially to the northern beaches. For the sake of reliability, it was done on Google Maps, based on an "arrive by" option for any given Saturday at 3.15pm. If games are on at night, or on a Sunday, or even a week day, the transport options will be even limited, so I was being generous.

I really don't think, considering this, that I'll bother to go to a game up there, and I fear that that's the same decision a lot of people will come to ESPECIALLY those who don't have the luxury of A. A car or B. Good public transport options.
I understand the argument about it being a superior ground from a TV perspective - that makes sense - but isn't it the case that only one game per round will be broadcast (or am I making that up?). Why not appease the Manly/beaches by having games up their way when the Rays are drawn to get a game on TV, and then appease the north shore dwellers during rounds that aren't on TV?
Furthermore, there are other things that need to be considered. Healthy crowd numbers are just as important as healthy TV numbers - in fact most codes in Australia are somewhat superficiality judged by the former, not the latter. A brief glance at the 2007 ARC page on Wikipedia shows confirms this with the crowd figures for each and every game provided. Clearly it's the case that the ARU, or Australian rugby fans OR Australians in general judge sporting popularity/success by crowd numbers, so why try to diminish them by isolating an important stakeholder?

Anyway, I completely get the argument about it being rectangular, that's fair enough, but I feel as if this isn't a very intelligent compromise. It seems to me that the ARU are, typically, trying to do too much in one year. Look at the stadiums these teams are playing in - Leichardt oval, Brookvale, AAMI, NIB - these are all stadiums with a capacity well over what the teams will ever pull (except if the competition turns out to be amazing). They are trying to go for the glory image by playing in the same venues as NRL teams. It's clear that they're trying to send some sort of message, but in my opinion it will backfire as empty stadiums run balance books into the red.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I think the rationale behind the selection of grounds,was more about neutral venues than anything else.
I happen to live on the Northern beaches,and public transport from there to Chatswood is no better than your example.North Sydney Oval is marginally better.
When you have 4 partners from Chatswood to Narrabeen,no venue will satisfy everyone.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
The lack of public transport probably isn't too much of a problem. 95% of people that live on the North Shore have about 3 or 4 cars anyway, and Brookvale Oval is about 25 mins drive max from anywhere in the north shore (except on a Thursday night if people are trying to get there after work!).

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Look at the stadiums these teams are playing in - Leichardt oval, Brookvale, AAMI, NIB - these are all stadiums with a capacity well over what the teams will ever pull (except if the competition turns out to be amazing). They are trying to go for the glory image by playing in the same venues as NRL teams. It's clear that they're trying to send some sort of message, but in my opinion it will backfire as empty stadiums run balance books into the red.

At the same time, if you played in tiny parks you'd create the perception of it being a park competition.

I think it'd be ideal to play in venues that can hold around 8-10k - so that 4 or 5k would still look okay. There just aren't many venues like that, so it's probably better to go a little too big, with reasonable facilities, than at a park or oval with none.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
As a point of reference, it would take me at least 1 hour and 3 minutes to get to Brookvale via public transport, and I live in an area very well serviced by transport, especially to the northern beaches. For the sake of reliability, it was done on Google Maps, based on an "arrive by" option for any given Saturday at 3.15pm. If games are on at night, or on a Sunday, or even a week day, the transport options will be even limited, so I was being generous.

As i said with my first post, good fair points.
I'm not complaining because it suits me, and i do have a car as well. Your posts read like your a good bloke so it would be great you getting to some games. The drive out to Riff takes me 2+ hours, the drive to Woollarha took me over an hour (and we lost), but hey I prefer 3T more that Soup and enjoy the day.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
^^^ @I like to watch, it's 1 hr 15 to drive, and 45 minutes to clear immigration and passport control at the Spit Bridge.

After all the away games to start the season - needed a new passport.

This is a list of Marlins that i was given and it included (a from memory)
Tim, Mitch, Dave, Greg, Ed, Dylan, Harry, Ketone, Matt, Swanny, Dane, Maile, Brain, Dane, Treweek, Rory O'Connor and Matt Phillip is the list (from memory).
Tim Fairbrother
Dave Porecki
Dane Maraki
Greg Petersen
Ed Gower
Dylan Sg
Harry Bergelin
Kotoni Ale
Matt Lucas
Mark Swanepoel
Dane (again, so not sure)
Maile Hingano
Brian Sefiana
Sean Treweek
and from the colts Rory Oconnor & Matt Phillip.
Well done guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.