• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Mafi improved as the NRC went on, but he looked pretty unfit at the start.

Certainly on what we saw there, he's behind the current Western Force locks at least to start the season. It will be interesting to see who he can push ahead of as the season wears on.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I think when he signed there was only the requirement to play one olympic qualifying tournament to change eligibility because it was mentioned in article about him I think and I think the ARU were willing to exploit it. But since then the requirement has increased to 4 tournaments so now the Force technically have one two many marquee internationals.

They are allowed 2 Marquees and 5 development players from what I understand (plus a Japanese player) but they have Mathewson, Mafi and Steenkamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don't think Mafi would be well suited to 7s.

I am surprised no one is including mafi in there starting XV let alone the 23.

Am I the only one who rates him?

I rate him. I think he is the kind of guy our backrow needs. For versatility. Our current backrowers are high on workrate and high on tackle completion but aren't renown for bone crunching tackles or ball carrying. I reckon he will be run off the bench for the first few rounds.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
I am surprised no one is including mafi in there starting XV let alone the 23.

Am I the only one who rates him?
Mafi is def in my 23 just not sure about the 15.

He would be super cover as a 4/6 on the bench but i guess atm i see this as our best back 5.

4 Wykes
5 Coleman
6 Cottrell
7 Hodgo
8 Dog

i would have him battling it out with both Coleman and Cottrell for a starting spot but def in the 23.

T

TOCC

Is Skeenkamp a marquee player, he has never played for South Africa?
Technically he could be a development player, a little ironic given he is 29years old but not improbable.

Reds also have Ed O'Donoghue who has played for the Irish Wolfhounds(Ireland A), so he is also a foreign marquee player. It would seem the ARU aren't strictly rigid on the rules.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Steenkamp has played for the emerging springboks (SA b team).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

brumbies20years

I think they are really going to struggle to match it with other prominent sides in the Australian conference. Not enough depth and they do not inspire enough in attack.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think they are really going to struggle to match it with other prominent sides in the Australian conference. Not enough depth and they do not inspire enough in attack.
Did you see them play last year? They didn't seem to struggle "matching it" with the other sides and the force side is arguably in better shape this year than last.

T

turnovertwopasses

Yeah I'm going to have to agree with Brumbies here.... the force had a fantastic year in 2014 but i cant see 2015 reaching anywhere near the same level. Best of luck to the men in blue for the upcoming season

B

brumbies20years

I hope you are right. They are a terrific club and wish them well. I just don't think that they have the class of the ACT Brumbies/NSW Waratahs or any of the New Zealand sides. I think that they will place above the Melbourne Rebels in the Australian conference!!

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don't think it will be a flash year for us. 2016 will be our big year (I hope). But to be honest, I think 2015 will be the last year that the Reds, Brumbies and Waratahs perform strongly. A lot of their decent players will piss off overseas after the World Cup.

B

brumbies20years

I agree to an extent in regards to NSW and QLD, but the Brumbies will not lose a lot of players to overseas. Too many players have bought in long term to our fantastic culture.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Lots of players off contract: Ben Alexander, Stephen Moore, Scott Fardy, Jesse Mogg, David Pocock. Don't have time to look into anyone else, but would wager a handful of others.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Plus the already lose of Mowan and Moore isn't getting any younger you have already lost siliva to the rebels so the succession plan needs to start again.

You have 1 an a half 10 in To'omua and Lilo and lost McCabe last year the brumbies are a good side but they will struggle in a few years if they don't do some really planning now.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I don't think Mafi would be well suited to 7s.

I rate him. I think he is the kind of guy our backrow needs. For versatility. Our current backrowers are high on workrate and high on tackle completion but aren't renown for bone crunching tackles or ball carrying. I reckon he will be run off the bench for the first few rounds.

I would say benny mac definitely fits the ball carrying bill. Most efficicient meter eating forward in the comp last year

Status
Not open for further replies.