• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

brumbies20years

Lots of players off contract: Ben Alexander, Stephen Moore, Scott Fardy, Jesse Mogg, David Pocock. Don't have time to look into anyone else, but would wager a handful of others.

The Brumbies are great at succession planning. We will continue to thrive.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I would say benny mac definitely fits the ball carrying bill. Most efficicient meter eating forward in the comp last year

Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of big Ben, but I don't think he is the kind of guy who will reliably get you over the gain line off static ball. He isn't bad, but he isn't like Palu in that way.

The statistics of metres gained doesn't tell you how valuable those metres were. 6 metres made with go forward ball might not be worth 2 metres made against a set defence/slow ball.

B

brumbies20years

Palu is a flat track bully. I'd prefer Ben Mac. Australian rugby is lacking in good ball runners in the back row.

caymantim

Herbert Moran (7)
I am actually quietly optimistic about this year - my gripe in the past has been our 10 and general imagination of attack - but last year that started to change and the confidence they showed in attack stepped up.

From my perspective Sias improved substantially, and the understanding between Sias, Godwin and Rasolea really took a step up before injury curtailed the combination. However the positive was that the backups got some much needed game time, and I hope that the difference when injury occurs is not as significant.

I also think Ben Darwin is onto something with his cohesian index (TWI), and this will be the 3rd year that they have a consistent 9-13, if not more players.

They demonstrated last year that they were a hard working side that played for each other - and I think that will get even better as they have built on the foundation again - not replaced it with a shiny new player(s) that undermines that hard work.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I am actually quietly optimistic about this year - my gripe in the past has been our 10 and general imagination of attack - but last year that started to change and the confidence they showed in attack stepped up.

From my perspective Sias improved substantially, and the understanding between Sias, Godwin and Rasolea really took a step up before injury curtailed the combination. However the positive was that the backups got some much needed game time, and I hope that the difference when injury occurs is not as significant.

I also think Ben Darwin is onto something with his cohesian index (TWI), and this will be the 3rd year that they have a consistent 9-13, if not more players.

They demonstrated last year that they were a hard working side that played for each other - and I think that will get even better as they have built on the foundation again - not replaced it with a shiny new player(s) that undermines that hard work.

Mostly agree with that analysis. We've thankfully gone beyond the whole "buy in a star player and hope they weave some magic" mentality. The squad we have now are good honest footballers who seem to work hard for each other. Nothing flashy, nothing elaborate, just plenty of go forward and mongrel. The test will be to improve on last year, where I think we overachieved. We've got a pretty unfashionable but hard working pack, with a back row that should scare most opposition coaches and now an emerging backline that looks capable of finishing off that hard work.

We'll need some early wins though, otherwise the risk of backsliding to old failings is pretty high.

caymantim

Herbert Moran (7)
We'll need some early wins though, otherwise the risk of backsliding to old failings is pretty high.

Yep agree. One odd concern for me is that we seemed to do significantly better with Hayward at fullback... I don't know if it was my perception but our winning percentage seemed to be better. (I haven't done the stats though).

DHP really stepped up towards the latter half of last year though, so I am hoping some consistent game time there and he covers that no problem... otherwise I guess Morahan. Just not sold on either kicking option....

...however starting the season against the Premiers, Fortress Suncorp and a much improved Hurricanes does not bode well!

M

Moono75

Yep agree. One odd concern for me is that we seemed to do significantly better with Hayward at fullback. I don't know if it was my perception but our winning percentage seemed to be better. (I haven't done the stats though).

DHP really stepped up towards the latter half of last year though, so I am hoping some consistent game time there and he covers that no problem. otherwise I guess Morahan. Just not sold on either kicking option..

.however starting the season against the Premiers, Fortress Suncorp and a much improved Hurricanes does not bode well!

You seem to forget the Reds are our bitches.....whoops....that just slipped out. Season hasn't even started yet :rolleyes:

M

Moono75

Force fan day this morning out at HQ. Boys all looking fit and ready to rip into the coming season. Adam Coleman half way there to being built like a brick shithouse. Another beautiful day in Perth....the paradise city :)

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
So how does the Force stack up for the coming season.

Last year was probably the best season they have ever had. Granted the ladder position wasn't that much better than the late 2000s, but I think depth and playing style were certainly better and I felt they were more competitive.

Props:
Cowen and Faulkner are both fringe Wallabies and will provide quality up front. The Force scrum has held its own against all, and Cowen is a strength around the field. As back up, Hoskins looks like a decent prospect, but is not yet ready to start. With Longbottom leaving the fourth prop becomes an issue. Van Wyk and Heiberg are not really super rugby quality at this stage.
Verdict: Decent starters but no depth.

Hooker:
Nathan Charles is a quality player both in scrums and around the field. His lineouts have been poor in the past, but this has improved in the last year or two. Heath Tessman is an able backup and Robbie Abel did well in the NRC and wont disappoint if he gets on the field.
Verdict: Good starters and depth.

Locks:
Sam Wykes has been around for a long time now and has stepped up in the last year or so. His rise was one of the reasons the Force's fortunes have turned last year. Adam Coleman looks like he could be a real shout for the Wallabies in the coming years if he keeps improving. Right now though he has a lot to learn. Willem Steenkamp has provided some decent leadership into the squad but will struggle to win starts. Rory Walton plays with a lot of heart, that probably extends well beyond his skill level.
Verdict: A lot of players you would describe as solid. None that are stars.

Backrow:
Angus Cottrell had a huge year last year at 6 until he broke his leg. With any luck he will not drop off this year. Another year like last year will have him firmly in the Wallaby selectors minds come the world cup. Matt Hodgson had a massive year and emerged as arguable the top performing super rugby player last year. His leadership has been immense. At 33 he is getting long in the tooth and hopefully this doesn't translate to a drop in form. Ben McCalman has cemented his place as the Wallaby 8 with good form in both the internationals and super rugby. Stander and Alcock both add when coming off the bench, and Mafi is a great pickup. Plus, I am getting on the RHP bandwagon now, who wants to join me?
Verdict: The strength of the team

Halves:
Matheson is the heart and soul of the halves combo. If he goes down we are in a lot of trouble. Prior offers a good backup, but another year learning from Matheson will do him no end of good. Ebersohn is a very skilful player but I feel needs a leader at 9 to help him direct play. Holmes is a good backup but I wont feel confident with him starting at 10.
Verdict: Good starters and backup, but if Matheson goes we are in trouble.

Centres:
I don't understand why Godwin hasn't been capped yet at test level. I think it just shows the depth of 12 the Wallabies have there. His defence is second to none at 12, but his line breaks that were a feature of his 2013 season weren't there last year. I think that had more to do with the change in tactics and greater attention opposition paid him than anything else, but I hope he comes good there again. Rasolea is a good solid super rugby centre but doesn't offer the dynamics that will push him to the next level. Brache has offered a lot since coming across. Burton looks like he might become a good centre as well, but he is very green at this stage. Letting Ed Stubbs go was an interesting decision. And CTM never really delivered on the hype.
Verdict: Godwin the standout with squad players after that.

Outside Backs:
The Honeybadger is back! And he will offer punch through any defence, always getting over the gain line. Plus, the crowd will sport more mullets than a Lee Kernaghan concert and that cant be a bad thing. Luke Morahan offers good pace and evasiveness down the right. DHP has become quite a good super rugby fullback after his time in France. But I will never forget his pass to Scott Higgenbotham against the Reds in 2012. Scott and Nikoro I don't know much about but have played ITM rugby so are not new to the scene. Yamada is an international for Japan, and is a good try scorer in the Japanese league. Hopefully he can make the step up to higher level of Super rugby. Lacey I have high hopes for in the future.
Verdict: Good starters, not sold on the backup.

I cant understand why Foley was so unsuccessful in NSW. Since coming across we have seen a reinvigorated Force team. Sign the man for as long as we can!

Overall I think the Force have a strong team but depth is an issue. They have a strong forward pack meaning they should win more than they lose. But I don't think the backs offer enough penetration yet to get enough bonus points to let them challenge for the finals.
'
Prediction: 6th overall and 3rd in the conference.

G_Beard

Stan Wickham (3)
Any news from the trial? Who looked good, who didn't

Only there for first half unfortunately.
Everyone looked very good for the first trial from a Force perspective.
Couple highlites:
Marcel affecting a couple big hits early on resulting in a turnover.
Junior being a monster in the midfield
Ably rag dolling the brumbies 9
Alcock outplaying Pocock.
Force Forwards were a great unit from what I saw.
We scored quick tries, and it took the brumbies a lot of effort to score and even get into the Force half of the field in the first 40mins.
Again only saw the first half.

Status
Not open for further replies.