• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Richie McCaw Cheat or genius

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
BMI?? Fuck off!! I'm down to 93kgs of pure steel.

MR - just grab a copy of the match and watch it carefully. The ABs dived over and played offisde all night. I don't blame them for doing so, but I am intrigued as to why Rolland sanctioned it. I genuinely think part of it is the awe-factor of the All Blacks and McCaw especially. Somewhere deep inside, they are thinking - if the ABs are doing it, it must be legal.

Oh, to have Andre Watson back again. He invented the expression "lazy runner". Love the man.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Sorry, I was writing my quote reply as you added that last bit - missed the smiley!
It is one-sided (as I noted on the blog comments) but it does actually highlight some issues pretty well - mainly for the refs though.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
BMI?? Fuck off!! I'm down to 93kgs of pure steel.

MR - just grab a copy of the match and watch it carefully. The ABs dived over and played offisde all night. I don't blame them for doing so, but I am intrigued as to why Rolland sanctioned it. I genuinely think part of it is the awe-factor of the All Blacks and McCaw especially. Somewhere deep inside, they are thinking - if the ABs are doing it, it must be legal.

Oh, to have Andre Watson back again. He invented the expression "lazy runner". Love the man.
Are you 1.92 m tall?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Well Richie has come out and admitted that he cheats so now the Kiwis canlt get upset when everyone else calls him a cheat.

I propose the mods implement a function that automatically replaces "McCaw" with "McMaradona".

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Well Richie has come out and admitted that he cheats so now the Kiwis canlt get upset when everyone else calls him a cheat.

I propose the mods implement a function that automatically replaces "McCaw" with "McMaradona".
Richie McCheat.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

snip .......

Hello Einstein's

What flanker doesn't cheat?

The only ones I know who do not cheat are playing in second grade. i.e. they do not get selected by First Grade coaches.

Cheating is in the DNA of any decent flanker.

Some are just better at cheating than others. Some elevate their art to royalty levels.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Hello Einstein's

What flanker doesn't cheat?

The only ones I know who do not cheat are playing in second grade. i.e. they do not get selected by First Grade coaches.

Cheating is in the DNA of any decent flanker.

Some are just better at cheating than others. Some elevate their art to royalty levels.

Hello McEnstein.

He outcheats them all.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The only real question left is ... Is RMcC :
a. the Prince or the Emperor of Cheats - (Royalty - frequently a title inherited on a hereditary basis) or
b. the President of Cheats ( Democratically elected - frequently a title gained on a merit basis)

I tend towards B. Presidents elected on a merit basis typically are surpassed by a newer faster better model after the incumbents term of office comes to an end.

Sooner or later a betterer cheating flanker will arrive on the world scene.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
If he's admitting to pushing the laws then he's really the most honest player out there.

One player getting so much focus doesn't really prove anything other than he really is as good as his fans make him out to be

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
If he's admitting to pushing the laws then he's really the most honest player out there.

One player getting so much focus doesn't really prove anything other than he really is as good as his fans make him out to be

Keeps us off the streets, MR. A Richie is a cheat thread comes out every time a Bledisloe Test rolls around, but to be fair it was PdV who started this ball rolling. We're just kicking it along, and as you say it proves his standing.
It's a bit like all the really funny variations on convict terminology that get rolled out for us each year in some places but never ceases to be hysterical or original.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
PdV starting the Richie is a cheat idea. Hmmmm.

When you start blaming others for your losses or lack of results, it is a sign that you are either incapable or unprepared to make the necessary changes required to improve your own performance/results.

While PdV continues to blame others for the lack of Bokke results (the refs cheated, RWC conspiracy theory, McCaw is a cheat, McCaw gets favoured treatment, etc etc), and makes no changes in his own team, then he will continue to be the author of his own misfortune and Bokke will continue to underwhelm.

If PdV is smart enough to identify the reasons for the lack of success, as warped as these theories may be, then he should do something about them to redress the issues. If he genuinely thinks that McCaw exercises too much influence over referees, then he should get his captain tutored in referee manipulation to out McCaw McCaw or at least neutralise the McCaw factor. Fairly simple really.

If Team A suddenly starts winning games after they unveil a drop kick genius that can reliably slot 3 pointers from anywhere in the attacking 50m, then Coach B must either develop his own drop kicker, adopt tactics whereby Team A never gets the ball to their drop kick genius in the "zone" or lobby to change the rules somehow to negate the competitive advantage enjoyed by Team A. PdV - Talk is cheap.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
My problem with the AB and the Crusaders rucking are:-
1) The pillars bind to the side of the gate and fold around, slowing the ball that second or two allowing a counter drive to be successful or at the least impeding the attack. It is illegal and offisde and doesn't get penalised. Look for Mcaw, Kaino and Thorn doing this as well as the props. It isn't as obvious as flopping over the ball but has the same effect.
2) First player arriving at the ruck tackles the first attacking player holding them back from the ruck sometimes two or three metres away from the ruck. If the turn over is made the defender is impeded and the player who "cleaned out" is five metres forward to support the now attacking team. If no turnover is made the cleaning out player impedes the attack.
3) Mcaw consistantly plays the ball whilst on the ground. Yes he is the best at it as he is aware of the Refs position and it doesn't get picked up very often.
4) Mcaw gets driven over by he support usually going to ground just past the ball to prevent competition. The Boks and Wallabies do not execute this as well and invariably get penalised.

In short the ABs ruck tactics are the equivalent of Bill Young at prop, systematic in their cheating and executing it so well that the refs do not pick up on it.

Hence we get DeVilliers complaining and then suggesting a conspiracy. From his point (comic and warped though we find it) of view there may well be. Remember Paddy Obrien making a visit to the ABs last year? I'm sure PdV has not.

The fact is that the behaviours I outlined are all illegal, and the ABs regularly get away with them all.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Gnostic,

Good to see you have been reading the analysis on the home page.

Keep up the good work!

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Virgil, I'm not having a go here, but I don't see what you mean.

Joubert was very strict on the ABs at the ruck in the first 20 minutes, and as a result, Pocock was able to outplay McCaw. Seems to confirm what I've been saying. Also seems to confirm what we saw in the S14 when Richie was pretty quiet due to the new ruck interpretations.

Virgil

Larry Dwyer (12)
Hes still super effective, and lets not forget his influence as captain.

Pocock is certainly the first guy to give Richie a decent problem this year, i think too Richies role is changing due to the new interpretations.
More roaming and linking.

Status
Not open for further replies.