• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

So what would game would that be? The Brumbies home game against the Waratahs?

Well that's obviously a blockbuster and would command the most value, perhaps a Kiwi team which draws a decent crowd in Sydney..

It could give the Brumbies greater exposure for future sponsors as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Yes I'm aware Canberra is working off a smaller base, and this would be relevant if the cost of living and cost of operating a business in Canberra was proportionately cheaper.. .Which it isn't..

The smaller market is the reason the Brumbies whilst successful on the field have struggled financially off the field and will continue to do so, I don't think the Brumbies or Australian Rugby in general can afford to ignore a proposal from ANZ Stadium which could guarantee them a lucrative new income stream.

This might be all part of the Brumbies renegotiating with Canberra Stadium to get a cheaper deal, but I don't think it should come as a surprise if one game per season is shifted to ANZ Stadium.

I think the risk would be the fickle and rusted on Canberra supporters. The moment you took a home game anywhere near Sydney I thing a significant percentage will walk away from membership and attending games.

The reason most support the Brumbies is it is NOT a Sydney team. So changing that dynamic could do long term damage.

I think the Tah's show once they walk they are hard to get back, if you can at all. The gate is not dissimilar to the Tah's if you compare gate numbers and actual paying patrons, The key difference is sponsorship and the income capacity of the state organisations and available income source. The one highlighted here is the incentives the Tah's receive for playing at a certain venue. Canberra does have not have competing venues, but rather significant offset by the ACT Government.

So really this is more about the risk of quick cash at the cost of your supporter base which will in turn cost you your community. local sponsors. Government and support from the local clubs and game in general.

T

TOCC

That supporter base won't have a team to support unless they can start reducing those losses...
It will be up to the Brumbies to hierarchy to weigh up whether the financial benefit is worth the potential supporter base backlash, it's hard to say how much ANZ is willing to throw behind a team, they have already missed out on a few key tenants in 2015 so they may be getting desperate.

If I were a brumbies fan in Canberra I wouldn't want to see it occur either, but I think the reality is that it may very well occur in the future if the price is right.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That supporter base won't have a team to support unless they can start reducing those losses.

According to new CEO, Michael Jones, the Brumbies are on track to be in the black from 2016 or 7. I'd prefer to see how that pans out before raising any left field solutions like moving to ANZ stadium.

Looks like a NSW beat up to me. Want to see a second team in Western Sydney (which I do too), but instead of developing one, let's just bring the Rebels/Brumbies up here.

Reactions: mst

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
That supporter base won't have a team to support unless they can start reducing those losses.
It will be up to the Brumbies to hierarchy to weigh up whether the financial benefit is worth the potential supporter base backlash, it's hard to say how much ANZ is willing to throw behind a team, they have already missed out on a few key tenants in 2015 so they may be getting desperate.

If I were a brumbies fan in Canberra I wouldn't want to see it occur either, but I think the reality is that it may very well occur in the future if the price is right.

I concur with Brumby Runner about the Brumbies reporting about getting back on track financially in the next few years. Pre Aquis it was going to be tight, now they are on board it should be ok. The cuts have been made and with the new HQ etc (good capital), they are not to badly pre-positioned to deal with their financial future.

I have to agree that this is a NSW beat up, with the financial issue the Tah's and NSW rugby are having I have to ask why would you be letting ANZ dollars go out of NSW?

For the Brumbies I am pretty sure we can cover and probably get more $$ than on offer by ANZ by the several option being explored for pre-season games and away games in China, Singapore, Hong Kong etc. all don't effect home game.

So the NSW beat up could end up as egg on NSW face as the Brumbies say thanks to ANZ for the for sponsorship while playing in the new and emerging markets and the $$ to be part investor with Aquis in the new Canberra stadium for the new Brumbies supporter base in the Asia region. - oh, that's on top of the supporter base trying to be developing in Arizona that the Brumbies are involved with.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rug...raiders-in-race-to-china-20150214-13eqm8.html

http://www.rugbytoday.com/college/brumbies-set-shop-arizona

http://www.brumbies.com.au/Academy.aspx

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

As we predicted, NSW beat up:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rug...inks-to-anz-stadium-move-20150221-13kxbr.html

Knuf said!

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The article only quoted the sports minister, Brumbies haven't commented on the issue.

Sure, but it's addressing an article that was pure speculation on news' part and without any factual reporting..........

"The idea was news to the government and we understand it was news to the Brumbies too," Barr said.

The Brumbies have distanced themselves from the mooted move, instead focusing on revamping the match-day experience for fans at Canberra Stadium.

It is understood the Brumbies have not considered a move interstate, but they are working to take a game to China in the coming seasons after signing a sponsorship deal with Hong Kong-based company Aquis.

T

TOCC

like i said, i wouldn't be surprised if does occur or even if the Brumbies are talking to ANZ just to get a better deal out of the ACT Government.. If they are chasing the later, it already seems to have had some effect with the politicians coming out in support of keeping all the game in Canberra.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
like i said, i wouldn't be surprised if does occur or even if the Brumbies are talking to ANZ just to get a better deal out of the ACT Government.. If they are chasing the later, it already seems to have had some effect with the politicians coming out in support of keeping all the game in Canberra.

...............or, the Brumbies and the new CEO who are on recent on public record as committing to Canberra and not moving any home game from Canberra is now under siege with an ACT Government now being supplied negotiating power (what are the Brumbies options without ostracising the supporter base, what other grounds are there in CBR and considering the ACT Government stumped up to chip in to the new $15mil HQ they will be pissed off so will the rate and tax payers. UC etc!), sponsors and the local business community will be asking questions, the supporters, members and wider community will be asking questions, and the NRL and Raiders are thanking anybody stupid enough to mention it!

There are potential significant flow on implications to the game to also be considered.

But most halfwits will know that when it come to crowd numbers, its the Raiders that would be the first target - more games overall, smaller crowds and less impact on their supporter base by changing a home game or two.

Wouldn't surprise me if the Mungo press (where this came from) are using it as counter- intelligence as even on here there are people so hopped up and obsessive about what the mungo media say, they cant help propagating the message expanding the circulation for said publications (spending the fertiliser) so it now a valuable tool for the NRL!

T

TOCC

I agree there is a lot at stake, which is what will make it such an interesting decision

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I agree there is a lot at stake, which is what will make it such an interesting decision

Decision? Ok, so it a article from mungo press who I believe own mungo ball aimed at who for what? When the two key players, the Brumbies and ACT Government are saying news to them I cant see where the decision is. To believe the reports? The only decision is when we stop soiling our game by drugging more fertiliser in from where we have walked!

At some point we, rugby and its supports may take a step back and reassess or own intelligence. Rugby is the only code with the inbred idiocy to believe that the open, public and alleged intellectual debate of politics, administration and its place, influence and consequence to the game is a good thing.

Yet, world wide, successful sports make sure they live and die by two absolute black and white rules - don't ever bring in politics or allow politics to be mentioned, administration is done behind closed door, and come hell or high water, its the sport, nothing else, just about the sport.

When it come to PR, we are a long way behind mungo ball and AFL simply because we talk too much counter-productive political opinionated shit rather than the game.

They have bigger crisis than us more regularly yet seem to glide through unlike rugby. Why?

T

TOCC

Cool man, if it's not an option the don't sweat it.. I guess we'll wait and see if ANZ Stadium formulate a bid, presumably this is where the rumour originated from.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Cool man, if it's not an option the don't sweat it.. I guess we'll wait and see if ANZ Stadium formulate a bid, presumably this is where the rumour originated from.

Pfft - more likely the rumour started in the Daily tele news room. It would be the dumbest marketing move for ANZ to have shown their hand and get this reaction - unless they were just fishing.

Wow, gone are they days when people used to know not to believe all things written in the news papers! FFS, on a good day the CBR times is only about 50% accurate, and that's more credible than the Tele!

You sure you don't work for ANZ Stadium or the Tele?

T

TOCC

Gents, I'm sorry i did not believe this would be such a sensitive issue, this isn't the first time such a move has been mentioned in the media or the forums and whether people think its a good idea or not i think any venture which may boost rugby unions bottom line is worth entertaining, from the initial proposal there you conduct due diligence and weigh up the pros and cons of such a concept... I'd be interested to see what sort of value ANZ could offer the Brumbies, and whilst we may all agree that it would be worse off for the Brumbies fan and sponsorship base in Canberra there might be a $figure which is enough to persuade otherwise.

Lets clarify that I'm not supporting such a bid, just that i'd be surprised if such a proposal doesn't exsist. Anyway, i guess we will wait and see if anything further comes out in the news.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I would have thought the Brumbies would go regional before they moved out of south western NSW - and if they did it could give then an even bigger home grown advantage.
"The Finemores Brumbies" has a ring to it

Status
Not open for further replies.