• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Agree. The pitch means it’s harder in the middle but the turf and drainage and surrounding slopes make it the best in my opinion. The shore set up is similar to kings, newer and large stand and change rooms but the field is much harder.
.....and being 30m away from the field behind the fence.
Joeys once had a method of handling the Kings fence.

10329265_694477323922309_6389371884551196375_n.jpg

Albi

Allen Oxlade (6)
Re comments on sporting fields and lack of Scots grounds…..This is what I was told during a tour of Kings…didn’t end up sending my boys there…..King’s large property used to be owned by George Burns (Burns Philp). George was a Presbyterian and when he died he gave the property to the Pres. church. King’s at the time was just a very small school in the centre of Parramatta on very small land. The Pres. church offered the land to Scots in the late 1940s for almost nothing (I think 30-40k pounds) and they turned it down. King’s couldn’t afford it either until they found a family willing to give them the money to buy the land and relocate the school. King’s, as we know it today, almost didn’t exist, has been going only since the late 1940s (although started in Parra a long way back), and Scot’s missed out on a property deal of a lifetime.

gpsfooty123

Bob McCowan (2)
Agree. The pitch means it’s harder in the middle but the turf and drainage and surrounding slopes make it the best in my opinion. The shore set up is similar to kings, newer and large stand and change rooms but the field is much hard
Agree. The pitch means it’s harder in the middle but the turf and drainage and surrounding slopes make it the best in my opinion. The shore set up is similar to kings, newer and large stand and change rooms but the field is much
Kings, joeys, Knox have the best main ground. Shore have the best overall facilities

Albi

Allen Oxlade (6)
.....and being 30m away from the field behind the fence.
Joeys once had a method of handling the Kings fence.

View attachment 14299
I didn’t go to a gps school so I don’t care but I played on many fields. The surface at joeys is great but the surrounds are not. Unless you are in the small, old and uncomfortable grandstand, which is impossible because it’s full of joeys boys, it’s a bad viewing ground.

It’s a bit disturbing and weird that you like fences being broken….and you took a photo of it.

Peabody

Herbert Moran (7)
Kings is a cricket oval, not a rugby ground. Joeys has the best surface plus viewing of any school in Sydney. Knox is second.

Whilst Joeys has no doubt the best playing surface, the seating is all a bit Tom Brown's School Days - hard wooden benches with no back support (apart from the back row). Visiting schools sit in temporary stands facing into the western sun.

Knox has the best viewing facilities of any school - comfortable, tiered seating close to the action. A few punters at either end, however, get a limited view of the try line. The playing surface would probably rate second after Joeys, plus night games can be facilitated.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
SBHS has produced the best schoolboy team though. 5 Wallabies came from the 1963 team.
When you look at the complete record you see some interesting patterns.
Early days was dominated by Kings and Grammar.
Joeys didn't win their first till 1904.
Would have effectively been City v Country back in those days.

Balmain Subbies

Alfred Walker (16)
Morning All, ahhh yes the best day of the year on the school boy rugby calendar. The Catholics will pretend that when the Marist play the Jesuits that it is the jewel in the GPS crown but we all know it is today, when the scrappy underfunded Press-buttons take on the boys in pink funded by the Vatican. A true underdog story. It was been confirmed by Dr Saint Lambert that the ghost of William Wallace was seen tracing from Fairfax all the way to Scots Main looking at vantage points to ambush the high flyers from the affluent Hunters Hill. Ahhh I can sense it in the air, Scots To The Fore!

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
I didn’t go to a gps school so I don’t care but I played on many fields. The surface at joeys is great but the surrounds are not. Unless you are in the small, old and uncomfortable grandstand, which is impossible because it’s full of joeys boys, it’s a bad viewing ground.

It’s a bit disturbing and weird that you like fences being broken….and you took a photo of it.
You had to be there to understand the full context of the event. Another time I shall expand.
A great solo try was scored that game.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Morning All, ahhh yes the best day of the year on the school boy rugby calendar. The Catholics will pretend that when the Marist play the Jesuits that it is the jewel in the GPS crown but we all know it is today, when the scrappy underfunded Press-buttons take on the boys in pink funded by the Vatican. A true underdog story. It was been confirmed by Dr Saint Lambert that the ghost of William Wallace was seen tracing from Fairfax all the way to Scots Main looking at vantage points to ambush the high flyers from the affluent Hunters Hill. Ahhh I can sense it in the air, Scots To The Fore!
The Dark Lord Lambert, war hero and sporting scholar will be looking down from his castle upon the great unwashed Catholic boys,.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
I think on a good day Newington's Johnstone oval takes the number 1 spot - yes i may be biased but nonetheless it is such a great field to watch rugby.

Sidenote
SJC +7
View + 12
New + 22
Hello Dusk
Couldn't agree with you any further.Its fanatic atmosphere overlooking the Johnstone oval. I Think View and Kings, come close. Shore have the Hawker stand The others have great ovals. But are members of the Flat Earth Society.

Last edited:

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
I truely believe this is an accurate statement. The mindset within the Scots camp is one that is unstoppable, just inspirational. I was lucky enough to witness this in their pre-season trainings where they push themselves to the limit, where I was asked to coach part of their squad. #nolimit
I would wouldn't be making any predictions, based on the performances of the A teams in the age divisions. I made that mistake with this age group, now playing 1stXV. Although it gives me great comfort to know our 16As are a strong team and Our 15As have had some good past seasons. I also forgot to mention the Tongan Intake and its possible impact.Additionally, there is our little know Western Sydney intake. I heard this intake might grow in numbers. Could see an intake of a few boys with league backgrounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.